The whole scoop on root gaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackbird455 View Post
    Just the basics, thats all I am looking for, not an argument. And yes compared to some of you , I am a newbie, thats why I am posting on this board, looking to more experienced welders for advice and direction. Sadly this thread has degraded, much like alot of others, and it looks like the usual suspects, that aren't even contributing to the subject matter of the thread.

Thank you Broc for the link, I haven't seen that one yet, I'll have to add it to the stack with the rest of the books.

Does anyone else have anything helpful to say?
    Sadly you posted an open, indirect, ill thought out question. Then complained that you were not getting what you want. WAAAAH!

I'll be sure to add you to the ignore list, sub heading helpless hapless hopeless.

Comment

[QUOTE=FATFAB;161507]Sadly you posted an open, indirect, ill thought out question. Then complained that you were not getting what you want. WAAAAH!

I'll be sure to add you to the ignore list, sub heading helpless hapless hopeless.[/QUOTE

Yea, he just ask the question in the wrong way. He didn't really want the "whole scoop on root gaps". What he wanted was a link to a book.

Maybe next time ask for the "link to a book" and save us all a lot of trouble trying to actually give you what you ask for.

A book will give you the whole scoop on root gaps about as well as a book will give you the whole scoop on ***. (s-e-x)

JTMcC.
      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird455 View Post
        Yeah I never said anything about welding for a living, or anything about throwing dead cats through anything. I understand that in critical applications, the proper root gap is necessary to prevent internal stress and catastrophic weld failure. All I am trying to do is get answers from people that actually know, not metaphores. And I also know that there are people called "pipe fitters". But you are missing my point, which is, I want to know how the gap is determined, what factors are considered, and what regulations govern it. I do not, nor do I intend to weld pipe for a living, so I am hoping that there is someone that does, that may be able to point me in the right direction. If you don't know, it's ok, and you don't even have to respond.
        i haven't really welded all that much pipe.. I'm actually a Union Millwright, but I just passed my 6G High Pressure, so I'm now a Permit Pipefitter/Welder, out of Sault Ste Marie Ont.

Anyways, over the past week of practicing I asked the same questions you did, and the answer i basically got was, if you are using 3/32 rod, then that's what your gap should be ( I like it, alittle tighter). But rule of thumb anyways. I'm pretty sure landing is the same, or abit less. But I like 3/32, if not abit more. So this would also apply if you were running 1/8 rod, and so on. I could be dead wrong here, but this is just what I know from practicing for the last week.

If I was you, I'd just get some pipe, go with what I just said, and then you'll know what you like.

Matt
        CWB Tickets
        Stick - All Position / Carbon and Stainless
        Flux Core - All Position / Carbon
        Mig - Flat / Carbon

TSSA
        Flat - Vertical GMAW Open Root / No backing
        6G 6010 Root / 7018 Burnout and Cap
        6G Tig Root / 7018 Burnout and Cap

Comment

I may be over stepping my bounds but i thought this forum was too share info ,advice and ideas. not take shots at someone for asking a question. where i come from the only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked. but that's just my two cent's
          Miller Bobcat 250
          Victor O/A
          Chop Saw
          Porta-band
          grinders
          hand tools

Comment

The forum is a good place to get help, but you need to do a minimal amount of research first!

Anyone with enough information to respond to your inquiry has spent a lot of hard work and experience getting it, and they expect that you will too. If you ask a question that reveals you haven't so much as cracked a book about it, you can expect to get some crap from the folks who have the advice you want.

Once you read about a topic in general, and still have specific questions that the book doesn't answer, then you have resources like this forum. Enjoy.

Comment

And I Thank the Stars (and Andy & Miller) That there is a place like this Where people take their own free time to read and post to so many of us that ARE NOT IN The KNOW! Besides IMHO I've found I retain information for a much longer period when it was a little Tuff or Gruff to learn.

Comment

Working...
              X