Downhand welding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downhand welding question

I no that downhand welding is not used often... i work in a boiler shop we build everything from small units to very large units up 200 ft long and 20ft in dia but the question im asking is ... well lets just say a few of us were caught welding out of position (downhand ) on some pipes (its hard 2 explain the job) but the outside TSSA inspector caught us so now we need 2 do a downhand welding test to get this ticket to work in the shop floor.... i have 4 tickets now so we prepared some plates quarter inch plates 30 degree bevel and procced 2 weld...first the root than grind or back gouge the root and fill the root up on reverse side than put cap pass on the face side ....lets just say i bent my test pieces and SNAP ....ive heard from others that this is very tricky 2 get penetration in the weld joint any info on wat type the machine settings should be used and any processes that should be used like spray, globular etc whipping action or multi pass etc would be helpful also wich way should the test pieces be bent (side bend or (face and root bend) wich they are not sure Thx if u have a chance look up my workplace and check it out tell me wat u think !!!!
    Last edited by FarmerJZ; 10-05-2008, 02:03 PM.

Originally posted by FarmerJZ View Post
    I no that downhand welding is not used often... i work in a boiler shop in Ontario Canada Superior Boiler Works&Welding Ltd we build everything from small units to very large units up 200 ft long and 20ft in dia but the question im asking is ... well lets just say a few of us were caught welding out of position (downhand ) on some pipes (its hard 2 explain the job) but the outside TSSA inspector caught us so now we need 2 do a downhand welding test to get this ticket to work in the shop floor.... i have 4 tickets now so we prepared some plates quarter inch plates 30 degree bevel and procced 2 weld...first the root than grind or back gouge the root and fill the root up on reverse side than put cap pass on the face side ....lets just say i bent my test pieces and SNAP ....ive heard from others that this is very tricky 2 get penetration in the weld joint any info on wat type the machine settings should be used and any processes that should be used like spray, globular etc whipping action or multi pass etc would be helpful also wich way should the test pieces be bent (side bend or (face and root bend) wich they are not sure Thx if u have a chance look up my workplace and check it out tell me wat u think !!!!

That is not very re-assuring!! A boiler shop not following procedures.
    How many boilers have been put into production BEFORE this was caught?

Griff

Comment

[QUOTE=griff01;161149]That is not very re-assuring!! A boiler shop not following procedures.

Griff[/QUOT
      im not looking 4 any judgement here just looking 4 an answer on a welding procedure so dont start saying something that u cant back up u dont even no the sitution and 4 ur well being just this time if u wanna start this **** thats fine i thought this is were u come for info !!!!!!

Comment

What type of process are you using, mig, tig or stick? What wire or type of rod are you running. Can't give any info without knowing what your using. I'm assuming that the 1/4" plates are mild steel?
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

Downhill welding is used every day in my world.

What you desribe would likely involve criminal charges in the United States.

JTMcC.
          Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

you are wondering if you can use spray arc welding downhill? i dont think so. or try it and see the puddle fall out and hit the floor or your feet.
            hh 187.:
            powcon 300 st
            cheap chinese plasma cutter
            miller diversion :

Comment

Originally posted by down19992000 View Post
              you are wondering if you can use spray arc welding downhill? i dont think so. or try it and see the puddle fall out and hit the floor or your feet.
              Guys, for the record, he is saying "downhand" not downhill.

Griff

Comment

[QUOTE=FarmerJZ;161153]
                Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                That is not very re-assuring!! A boiler shop not following procedures.

Griff[/QUOT
                im not looking 4 any judgement here just looking 4 an answer on a welding procedure so dont start saying something that u cant back up u dont even no the sitution and 4 ur well being just this time if u wanna start this **** thats fine i thought this is were u come for info !!!!!!
                I stand behind my statement. I do not have anything I need to backup.
                You stated your failure to follow procedure, not me.

Griff

Comment

u dont even no the sitution
                  How many think the situation is fairly obvious? I had to deliberately run a sloppy one just to get it to break, from one side. The test plate talked about in this thread was V'd, welded one side, gouged, welded again both sides?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Sberry; 10-05-2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                    Guys, for the record, he is saying "downhand" not downhill.

Griff

Right, he said downhand but he met downhill. EVERY other point in his post points to downhill, not flat (which is what downhand is, flat. People missuse the term a lot).

JTMcC.

I'll add that to weld outside of your procedures in any pressure application is illegal, imoral and if caught can cost enough to cause large companies to have a money losing year or even put them out of business if parts have been put into service. I've seen real world examples of both and the companies got exactly what they deserved.
                    Last edited by JTMcC; 10-05-2008, 08:54 PM.
                    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                      Right, he said downhand but he met downhill. EVERY other point in his post points to downhill, not flat (which is what downhand is, flat. People missuse the term a lot).

JTMcC.

I'll add that to weld outside of your procedures in any pressure application is illegal, imoral and if caught can cost enough to cause large companies to have a money losing year or even put them out of business if parts have been put into service. I've seen real world examples of both and the companies got exactly what they deserved.
                      I do thank you for all ur input i did the test 2day and passed took a few plates but its good 4 the record....and i needed this ticket because a job is coming that requires this ticket and we didnt do anything illegal according 2 the inspector srry if i bite someone 's head off LOL

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerJZ View Post
                        I do thank you for all ur input i did the test 2day and passed took a few plates but its good 4 the record....and i needed this ticket because a job is coming that requires this ticket and we didnt do anything illegal according 2 the inspector srry if i bite someone 's head off LOL
                        Congrats on passing the test. Let me guess...... you are under 25 and do a lot of text messaging?
                        Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X