TIG on .055 or so 1" square tube.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG on .055 or so 1" square tube.

I am having a a hard time with this. I am trying to weld some mitered corners. I am using an Airco Heliarc 250 hf machine. 3/32" gray lanthanated tungsten fine point, just balled on the end. Seems if I get it hot enough to get a "dab" to join them I am burning through. Any pointers? Dave

Turbo, Aluminum or Steel?????? Steel, go to a 1/16 or .040 electrode and cut down the amps big time.....smaller electrode so it will be easier to start....also use any filler as a heat sink if you can .Have you tried pulsing with your foot pedal???? If Aluminum, most definitely pulse Hope this helps, Paul
    Last edited by paulrbrown; 10-05-2008, 09:53 AM. Reason: new info
    More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

aluminum. Actually it is .065. What size tungsten should I use? How should I grind it?
      Originally posted by paulrbrown View Post
      Turbo, Aluminum or Steel?????? Steel, go to a 1/16 or .040 electrode and cut down the amps big time.....smaller electrode so it will be easier to start....also use any filler as a heat sink if you can .Have you tried pulsing with your foot pedal???? If Aluminum, most definitely pulse Hope this helps, Paul

Comment

Turbo, on that machine, a pure tung is recommended with a balled point, I would prefer Zirconium Tungsten as it handles amperage better and ***** well. Others may like 2% Thorium unballed or slightly balled, it does want to have spikes shooting out the sides though. At those amps and depending on the EN/EP ratio I would go with 3/32. You can use the Lanthated, but I am not familiar with the Balling ability. The EP portion of your arc will want to ball for you anyway. here is link on tungsten and Aluminum, Hope this helps ya,Paul

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...lectrodes.html

Comment

An .065 alum miter weld is difficult. This is one of the few places that I don't rely on the AC to clean my part. I'd stainless brush the oxides off first. And Scotch-brite the filler too. This helps wetting. I'd use 3/32". Then I'd hold the filler on the piece and arc to the filler. The filler will ball, add a little more to grow the ball. Then pedal up until the filler ball wets into the seam. This will give you a little more mass to the edge and then you may be able to push the puddle across; adding filler to cool the puddle. This is where 3/32" filler works better for me than 1/16".

I can't do this if it's not flat.
          Last edited by Craig in Denver; 10-05-2008, 04:04 PM.
          RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
          sigpic

Comment

Craig, I will go along with that. I pretty much always Scotchbrite and degrease my filler also along with the part to be welded. It is amazing how little oxide can cause fly specks in the weld. Thanks , Paul

Comment

TURBO38T,

I like the technique of starting the arc on the filler and letting it ball. Start the arc where you want, but slide (if using 1/16) the filler in past where the arc will be about 1/8 inch. Start the arc softly and give it amps until it ball$ , this is where sliding the filler in a little more helps. As it ball$, that extra filler that you put in past the arc will suck up and make a bigger ball, then you only need to add enough filler to barely touch both sides of the joint. Increase the amps, staying on the ball , slowly until the ball wets onto both sides of the joint. Then weld happily away. I use that to weld just about all aluminum joints, it really helps to prevent burn through.

Also, I use .060 gold band on .063-.065 aluminum.

Aint it funny how you cant say b a l l s on here?
              Last edited by Blackbird455; 10-05-2008, 07:07 PM.
              SYNCROWAVE 200
              Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
              Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
              Makita Everything else
              2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
              "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
              USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Comment

Well Turbo?

Any sucess yet?
                SYNCROWAVE 200
                Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
                Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
                Makita Everything else
                2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
                "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
                USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Comment

Not yet, I am nursing my ciatic(sp?) nerve.....it's pinched and hurts like heck! Will let you know next week hopefully. Dave
                  Originally posted by Blackbird455 View Post
                  Well Turbo?

Any sucess yet?

Comment

dont start on a corner.

some one mentioned once to never start on a corner, start in the middle of the piece and work around the corner. i have had great results with this and thought i would add it to the advice given. you may or may not already be doing so.

turbo38t Not yet, I am nursing my ciatic(sp?) nerve.....it's pinched and hurts like heck!
                    go easy on that, take your time. trust me when i say you don't want to end up under the knife. hope all works out great for ya.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                    JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                      aluminum. Actually it is .065. What size tungsten should I use? How should I grind it?
                      Remember, you must create the puddle "near instantaneously", especailly on material this thin. If you don't you will burn through.

Griff

Comment

Working...
                      X