X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryder
    started a topic Question about Regency 250

Question about Regency 250

Hello and Thanks. I have learned a lot in the last few weeks reading through the posts. Over the last 3 or 4 years I have been using a Lincoln weld pak 100 welder to patch things up. It only uses flux core wire. About a month ago I was lucky enough to run across a very used Miller Regency 250. It came with a very used 30a spoolmatic, spool gun. The person who used it welded mostly aluminum. I plan to use it on mild steel. I have ordered and received the owners manual specific to the serial number from this site. But is does not help me understand the operation of this welder. I have several questions but will ask just one at a time.

First I would like to know if this welder can be used to stick weld.

Thanks

Nick

• samuil_mk
    replied
    I know I shouldn't mess with the machine that's not intended to do stick weld, I was just messing with it, but it surely gave a good weld, constant one
    btw I'm located in NW Indiana-Crown Point
    "fusion king" I respect your opinion here, I do have bunch of other toys, (mighty ones, all blue) like I said I came across on a old forum thread about this particular machine, and I haven't read anywhere that someone solved the puzzle that it can be useful to others, so I just tried it and noted here that the machine was capable to stick weld, that's all

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    I had no idea Miller actually made one. That's cool!

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    This is the resistance Grid https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O801B_MIL.pdf

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    ... a resistance grid ...
    Yes, that is the basics of turning a constant voltage source, like utility main power, into a relatively constant current source for stick and TIG welding power sources.

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    We stick weld with a CP-750E and it works nice. However there is another device attached called a resistance grid IIRC. I bought a couple of them at a foundry sale. They had about 25 like that set up for arc-air and stick welding. Never had a wire feeder for it so I never tried MIG with it.
    ---Meltedmetal

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    I tried stick welding with a Miller CP-200 3-phase CV source. Couldn't keep the sticks lit no matter what settings or sticks I used. It sure did shine with an old Millermatic 80A wire feeder on it, though.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by samuil_mk View Post
    I'm very sorry because I'm not constantly here on this forum, I do have some nice machines at home, this arc/the way how smooth/ I've weld 2 pieces 5/8 steel, the power of the arc that I've got from my regency 250 was equal to probably 300 amps welder specially made for stick, I'm using this trick so everyone try this at home
    wire tape the spool guns (30A) contactor switch (no spool roll) thats connected to the Millers 14pins controller, that activates the lower terminals to push that power out, use heavy duty cable/clamp/electrode holder
    and voila-arc/stick weld from the dreams, trust me best stick power ever had
    I was just playing around with it, so now I'm planning to try to use it or make it somehow to Tig weld with it, so if you guys can help me guiding me please do so i will be patient and wait for some hints from the others in this group, whoever wants to ask me more details about my trick can do that on my personal cell phone, text me at 63O863O997 I will gladly share what I know
    Dude,
    If that is the best stick power you ever had, you need to try a product made for stick welding that is powerful.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Often times when you make a toy do something it was not designed to do you'll end up breaking your toys. At least that's what happened to most of my toys when I was a kid.

But, since you're on a roll here...any DC stick welder can be made to scratch start tig.

There ya go.

Where are you located anyway?

Leave a comment:

• samuil_mk
    replied
    I'm very sorry because I'm not constantly here on this forum, I do have some nice machines at home, this arc/the way how smooth/ I've weld 2 pieces 5/8 steel, the power of the arc that I've got from my regency 250 was equal to probably 300 amps welder specially made for stick, I'm using this trick so everyone try this at home
    wire tape the spool guns (30A) contactor switch (no spool roll) thats connected to the Millers 14pins controller, that activates the lower terminals to push that power out, use heavy duty cable/clamp/electrode holder
    and voila-arc/stick weld from the dreams, trust me best stick power ever had
    I was just playing around with it, so now I'm planning to try to use it or make it somehow to Tig weld with it, so if you guys can help me guiding me please do so i will be patient and wait for some hints from the others in this group, whoever wants to ask me more details about my trick can do that on my personal cell phone, text me at 63O863O997 I will gladly share what I know

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by samuil_mk View Post
    I just managed to run a very nice stick weld with my Miller Regency 250 on a 5/8" thick material, no problem at all
    so it is capable to stick weld
    So did you wait 4 years to tell me this? (when you joined) or did you wait 9? (when this was posted)
    The Regency 250 is a CV machine. If you want to use yours to do that, and can manage to pull it off, imagine how good you could do with an actual stick machine.

Leave a comment:

• samuil_mk
    replied
    I just managed to run a very nice stick weld with my Miller Regency 250 on a 5/8" thick material, no problem at all
    so it is capable to stick weld

Leave a comment:

• Ryder
    replied
    FusionKing

Thanks very much for the reply. Someone had said it might be useable as a stick welder. Not much need for one. I am sure after a little practice it will be a great machine.

Thanks again

Nick

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    No.... it is a constant voltage machine.
    You need a constant current machine to do that or a combination of both.
    But you do have a good set-up there. You could buy another used feeder and do a lot with that power source.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X