Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally bought my own O/A setup this AM :)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Finally bought my own O/A setup this AM :)

    Glad to say i FINALLY bought myself an OA setup instead of having to go to my shop space (which is now closed up for bankruptcy - the shop i rented sace from, not me) SO i can't use theirs any more and the other one i can use is about 25 minutes away.. I got smaller tanks (Q & W maybe???) they are about the same size as an 80CF argon tank and one is shorter.

    I have a new smith torch set with cutting, rosebud, and welding tips.. Flashback arrestors and a few other misc things with it.. I'm about to go open it up, put it together with my OA cart i've had in a box forever (x-mass gift that was wrong type..they just bought me a "welding cart" thinking it would fit my MIG)

    Anyway, i'm off to cut metal
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

  • #2
    From 1977 til 1993, the only welding process I had was O/A. And it served me well. All manual processes depend on puddle control and O/A teaches it best. There's more to O/A than cutting.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

    Hobby weldor with a little training.

    Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

    Miller Syncrowave 250.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea, I've got a LOT to learn about OA working. I have only ever used it to pre-heat, bend, and cut ferous steels. Other than those i really don't en have a clue. I tried welding 2 pieces of HR A36 1/4'' plate tonight but only had a coat ganger for torch rod LOL

      I wan to learn to braze and weld with it, but it seems like there's a lot more to it than what i had thought...time to learn something new
      Dynasty 200DX
      Hobart Handler 135
      Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
      Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
      Hypertherm Powermax 45
      Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

      Comment


      • #4
        1/4" is really too much for O/A. Class taught me that 3/16" is the practical limit. Can it be done? Sure, but you'll melt everything in the room.

        I have no problem using coat hanger to weld. All, I'd add is this; some WON'T weld. If the one you picked, turns to slag; throw it away and try another. A little slag will float to the surface and won't matter. But a LOT of slag will NOT flow into the puddle. Learn to watch what's going on in the puddle. Your entire universe is 1" in diameter.
        Last edited by Craig in Denver; 10-03-2008, 07:30 PM.
        RETIRED desk jockey.

        Hobby weldor with a little training.

        Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

        Miller Syncrowave 250.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by turboglenn View Post
          Yea, I've got a LOT to learn about OA working. I have only ever used it to pre-heat, bend, and cut ferous steels. Other than those i really don't en have a clue. I tried welding 2 pieces of HR A36 1/4'' plate tonight but only had a coat ganger for torch rod LOL

          I wan to learn to braze and weld with it, but it seems like there's a lot more to it than what i had thought...time to learn something new
          Ya may wanna start with the Tip Chart- probably in the manual ya tossed on the floor

          You do need to understand the withdrawl rates and limits of those small bottles.
          Last edited by Broccoli1; 10-03-2008, 03:35 PM.
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
            Ya may wanna start with the Tip Chart- probably in the manual ya tossed on the floor

            You do need to understand the withdrawl rates and limits of those small bottles.
            I've studied the **** out of proper lighting, extinguishing, volume usuage and every other aspect of techniques for safety that are in my books and have back flow preventers and such as well.

            I just need some tips on the actual welding and brazing.. my books go into VERY LITTle detail about either process, so i'm learngin as i go so to speak

            I'm about to start searching forums and such, any tips off the top of any one's head??
            Dynasty 200DX
            Hobart Handler 135
            Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
            Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
            Hypertherm Powermax 45
            Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by turboglenn View Post
              I've studied the **** out of proper lighting, extinguishing, volume usuage and every other aspect of techniques for safety that are in my books and have back flow preventers and such as well.

              I just need some tips on the actual welding and brazing.. my books go into VERY LITTle detail about either process, so i'm learngin as i go so to speak

              I'm about to start searching forums and such, any tips off the top of any one's head??
              Tips for welding & Brazing: Use the correct Tip

              What size Tip did the book say to use on 1/4"?
              What is the CFH withdrawl of the Tip for 1/4"?
              and what size tanks did you say you purchased?
              Last edited by Broccoli1; 10-03-2008, 11:18 PM.
              Ed Conley
              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
              MM252
              MM211
              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

              Comment


              • #8
                TurboGlenn:
                You weld alum and razorblades. I don't think I've used my O/A twice since I bought my Syncrowave. Brazing and cutting are good, though.

                Lookie what I found:
                http://mewelding.com/welding/?page_id=100
                RETIRED desk jockey.

                Hobby weldor with a little training.

                Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

                Miller Syncrowave 250.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Gonna get in trouble, but good example of Proper Torch Set Up
                  Attached Files
                  More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X