Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sberry
    replied
    Kind of spin off and I can likely get argument about this but something that has really got some ball's is this little bottom of the line unit when I bought it, AC/DC 210, got a single cyl Briggs on it.
    A Baldor motor, says 5 hp with a run A of 22, big ole heavy monster and this little 6000 starts it. Ran a 3 horse air comp several times with it, even a 4 hp.
    I dont know what they did with this machine, its as simple as dirt. I see on other forums guys say they have trouble overheating and over working small machines and I have never really ran my 8000 that hard to compare but I get some sense they think I have lost my mind when I say how well this thing works. I dont know what it is, why, maybe the right combination of several factors, I dont know, maybe the alternator is heavy enough, etc, chuck a whole can of 5/32 lo-hi thru it as fast as humanly possible (bid the job) added extra gas tank so we didnt have to shut off. I didnt take especially good care of it, still works like the day it was new.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sberry; 10-07-2008, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I wouldn't mind something with a bit more poop for AC power. My well is 3hp and alone it wouldn't be a problem but I make it with a GS8000 Linc from my service truck. I shut the air comps down, any water heaters and electric heaters. Sometimes I charge the water before turning the place on in general, fridges, fans blowers, a ton of parasitic **** and if I keep an eye on it with minimal use it works. 10,000 would be an improvement but as little as I need backup it hasn't been worth the upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    You'll like it for TIG. I do.

Leave a comment:

• Day Welding
    replied
    i have an old miller legend myself. i love the machine but i needed more power for things also. i just purchased a trailblazer 302. i did a lot of studies between miller and lincoln, and all of their machines. i believe the trailblazer sounds like the best bang for your buck. especially running tig. even the 285 is a great model. i hope to run tig off of mine in spring next year.

Leave a comment:

• usmcruz
    replied
    I run a Miller TB302, and like the above gent said, I couldnt be happier. Holds 14.5 gallons of gas, and I can get about 15 hours run time on one tank. I bought mine about 1 year ago, or so, off of ebay for $3440.00 out the door, brand spankin new, with free shipping from Indiannapolis, not a penny more than $3440.00. Thats a **** of a deal seeing how my local welding shop wanted close to $6000.00. That company buys the TB302's in bulk, and in turn give the little man a pretty nice price break. Its allot of money to spend all at once, but it's worth every **** penny though. I ran pretty much my whole house this last hurricane off of the 11,000 watt generator. Also millers tb302 rival the ranger 305 doesnt have AC capabilities, the miller tb302 does, that extra feature is what sold me on the Miller, that and everyone brainwashing me on this forum to buy a Miller. Maybe its a psychological thing, but to compare the lincolns I welded on at tulsa welding school, and the Miller TB302 I have here at the house, It feels to me that the Miller welds a bitter smoother, and that Millers controls and features are more user friendly. Im not starting a Miller vs Lincoln war, just stating my experience. Good luck on your choice buddy.

Leave a comment:

• FATFAB
    replied
    I know nothing about the Legend machine.

I had a Ranger 8 on my truck for years and was always disappointed in its output in CV at only 20v and 200amps. (running a LN25 Core8 5/64")

Upped to the TB 302 and could not be happier. plenty of power both welding and aux. No issues between the TB and the LN25 as the TB can't read(yet)

As with most things that have a motor or output numbers BIGGER IS BETTER

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    If you are making money with it then its worth the stretch to a TB. No way would I pump money into a separate genset, anything any good is going to be pricey anyway and wont weld. The welder is a very reliable genset and will start motors way beyond what the charts say while common gens are usually marginally rated at best.

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Legend to Bobcat would be a let down in the arc dept. Legend to TB would be ok.

Leave a comment:

• Miller John
    replied
    What do you need more generator power to do? Some of the older models have 6 - 8 kw where the newer have 11 kw. If your running plasma cutters, dynasty tig machines or larger motor starting the increased kw will be beneficial.

If you choose to purchase a used machine with the Onan side valve engine, be sure to run it first and see if it runs good or if there are any leaks. It would be good to do a compression check first as well. It's hard to find parts for those older Onan engines and if the engine is bad, it will cost more to fix it than it is worth.

Just some thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• dilligafri
    replied
    Yes I am here in RI. Been welding for myself as a part time thing for over 20 years while working a job with benefits and pension. Most of the time it is construction equipment and tow trucks but now we are getting into snow plow season. I keep getting the itch for that new TB 302 since I saw one running a few weeks ago. Might just call the accountant to see if I am better buying one this year or waiting till next year. The TB 280 is a nice machine and was used mostly for power not welding, the bobcat has been worked and they both have onan engines. Hate to buy a problem but hate to spend money in this economy too. Wife wants to know if I will set myself on fire less with a new machine.

The Lincoln feeder works fine on CC of what I have now so I don't think I would have a problem going to CV. The LN25 is a voltage sensing feeder.

Leave a comment:

• J hall
    replied
    dilligafri......ri?

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by dilligafri View Post
    Hi New member here. After 22 years with a legend and no problems I find myself needing more aux power. Brand new machine idea (TB 302) gives me a chubby but checkbook says no. Currently I can buy locally a 225NT bobcat, 8 years old with 900 hrs for $900 or a Trailblazer 280NT with 400 hrs for $1800. All I do with the machine is DC Stick and run a lincoln LN25 suitcase with 045 flux core. Any thoughts from the members here? or should I just grab a separate gen and keep the legend? Possibility of doing Al tig off the gas drive in the future is a thought but not really needed.
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

I use a 225NT Bobcat from time to time simply to run my Dynasty 200DX and it worked fine for that. I used it to do everything imaginable for about ten years. That said there are better DC welders out there. I would say the Trailblazer would be better for everything you mentioned...esp aluminum.
    Not sure if there might be issues running the Lincoln feeder on the Miller but I know there are people here who can and do make that very thing happen everyday.
    If you can afford it, get the Trailblazer if it is a good deal like it sounds, but if money is really tight there is nothing wrong with that Bobcat. It welds as good or better than the legend and has more aux. power to boot.
    BTW what engines are on the two welders?? That would make a difference to me now that Onan is a PITA to get service parts for.

Leave a comment:

• dilligafri
    started a topic Need thoughts on gas drive

Need thoughts on gas drive

Hi New member here. After 22 years with a legend and no problems I find myself needing more aux power. Brand new machine idea (TB 302) gives me a chubby but checkbook says no. Currently I can buy locally a 225NT bobcat, 8 years old with 900 hrs for $900 or a Trailblazer 280NT with 400 hrs for $1800. All I do with the machine is DC Stick and run a lincoln LN25 suitcase with 045 flux core. Any thoughts from the members here? or should I just grab a separate gen and keep the legend? Possibility of doing Al tig off the gas drive in the future is a thought but not really needed.
    Thanks in advance
    Dave
Working...
X