X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bambam
    replied
    bambam

big thanks to both paulrbrown and coalsmoke. your info has given me a much better understanding of what might be involved in my interview. my research shows that the 7000 series would most likely be used. pre and post heating would definately make sence. i think that having an understanding of the terminology will be an advantage. i'm not exactly a newbie but pretty far from a pro great idea asking for weld procedure. i'll follow that up for sure. argon /helium mixtures are available in aust although i've never used it. cheers fella's. wish me luck. interview on tues 30/9

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    I concur with what Paul said. Also, I was thinking maybe since its a military application they might have a weld procedure that you could get a hold of and read and see what it said. That said, if they will train you, you've got it beat as long as you're not a newbie.

Leave a comment:

• paulrbrown
    replied
    BamBam, at the thickness you are talking about, 2", that would be multiple Passes. Aluminum Mig would be in the spray mode and you need to push it, otherwise you will get lack of penetration and porosity, not to mention a very smutty weld. A 50/50 Ar/He mixture will help matters and put more heat in to work, I do not know the avaliability of Helium in Australia though, so you might have to go just Argon. Do you know the series of Aluminum????3000,4000,5000,6000, the 2000 and 7000 series are very difficult to weld and most likely not the material being welded. A pre heat will also be of immense help, as the Aluminum will be very hard at work trying to get rid of any heat your electrode will try to put in to it.....
    Hope this is of some assistance,Paul

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    also ballistic steel welding position available using flux core wire. again, military application material thickness unknown.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    application is military using bisalloy aluminium. alot riding on this job. there will be full training provided but i still need to give a good weld test. full penetration weld using mig process. all i know???

Leave a comment:

• paulrbrown
    replied
    BAMBAM, that is some might thick Aluminum, what is the application? Do llet us know the process you will be using, Paul

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Well, your question brings up more questions. How are you welding it (with what machine), what is the required integrity of the finished weldements.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    started a topic aussie needs help

aussie needs help

still scratching my head. done some net reserch (miller site is great). the only way i can see how to learn is hands on. not sure if 2" aluminium ,weld prepped, requires multiple pass welds and if ,due to thickness, i need to use push or pull torch method??????
Working...
X