No announcement yet.

Numb Hand From Mig Welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if I was predisposed to it, it took 20 years on a computer to set in for me.

Never in my life before being forced to work in an improper manner did I ever have any symptoms. No pain whatsoever. Then it was very rapid onset when I was doing things wrong. Sadly, I should've stood my ground and refused to work in such conditions - I probably wouldn't have any symptoms now if I had.

My wrists were at 70 degree angles to hit the keys and use the mouse. Very bad for them. The company still took 2 weeks to respond after I went to the work-comp doctor and filed first report of injury, and that was still only lip service to the issue - when I left they had yet to adjust the desk.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

If it were that important to MY health, then I would have adjusted the desk myself instead of whining about it. Anyone is capable of simple tasks such as changing light bulbs toliet paper..... The it's not my job attitude is from the old union days.

Comment

See, that's where you're completely wrong.

At GE - we weren't allowed to move our computers due to the insurance not covering us for actual labor.

At the company in question, I would've been fired had I done it because I brought in the tools and was about to. "Not authorized" bull...
        Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
        Smith O/A rig
        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Sorry dude,
          That does suck, unions sometimes hinders instead of help. I would have told them to "stick it" also.

Comment

I work in IT and in my company we just about jump when someone needs ergonomic help. I think it's a bit silly in most cases but as someone who has chronic issues i rather be annoyed than put another in a position where they suffer for something i can remedy in minutes. My hands have been a mess since i was about 24, i used to wake up unable to close them, they felt swollen but appeared normal. After an hour or 2 they start to work again. if i did intensive repetative work they would throb and go numb
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Millermatic 175
            Spectrum 375
            All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Do what alot of guys do when running that particular gun and rest the cable to it on your shoulder, that eleviates most of the weight pressure on your hands. It's very light, so your shoulders won't hurt the next day.

Comment

I agree with DDA52 and KB Fabrications, I too was gripping my "Python" (which by the way is big and heavy)too tightly with just my right hand causing it to go numb. I found that by alternating 50/50 with my left hand alleviated the pain.

That's a joke son, hope none of you are offended

Comment

wow. lots of input..thanks guys..

got a little ace bandage thing so will try that on monday.

i will also try to lighten my DEATH GRIP on the gun. and if any pain, will use cold water, or ice, instead of heat.

but if i cant seem to get rid of the pain keeping me awake every night, then i gotta look for a tig only job..

thanks again so much guys for your help.
                  Syncrowave® 200
                  Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
                  Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Comment

I've had the same problem for years. To try to manage this symptom, you may want to get a wrist splint at a local drug store. One of the events that can make the problem worse is, when you sleep, unknowingly your wrist may be bending down towards your arm and impacting the nerves. Keeping the wrist straight is important to relieve the impact on the nerves in the wrist. I used the wrist splints at night or during the day if I needed added support. I used this technique for years and it helped somewhat.

Finally, this technique didn't help any longer. So I got cortisone injections in the wrist. That temporarily reduced the inflammation for about 6 months at a time. After doing that for about 2 years, I decided to have a hand surgeon do a carpal tunnel release on my right hand. That was 6 months ago. It really relieve the majority of the unbearable pain, but not totally. I'm going to have my left hand operated on in about a month. For sure, the surgery is not right for everyone, but it has helped me significantly.

If you see a doctor, be sure to find a experienced orthopedic hand surgeon, someone certified in hands. And, I would only have the operation if you have tried all other non-surgery options. Cutting should be the last resort.

Also, to be clear, there are a number of causes of these kind of symptoms, some of which may not be carpal tunnel related. Talk to a doctor to get a better understanding of your situation. They can do some tests to isolate the cause of the pain. But, be sure to find someone specializing in hands.
                    Last edited by MTBob; 09-21-2008, 08:24 AM.
                    MTBob
                    Logan Lathe
                    Clausing Mill
                    Walker Turner Drill Press

Comment

thanks MTBob.

i dont think my hands / wrists, are that bad yet, i hope. i welded 14 hours friday, and it hurt saturday morning. didnt weld saturday, and this morning was better, and i suspect that since i didnt weld today, that my right hand will be better tonight.
                      but i will be welding tomorrow for 10-12 hours, so i will be back to square one.

i did get a small ace bandage from walgreens that is made for the wrist, and will give it a try for a few days. if it dont do the trick, i will buy the stiffer wrist brace and give that a try...

thanks again, and i will let you guys know what happens this coming week..
                      Syncrowave® 200
                      Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
                      Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Comment

I've learned over the years that it is nearly impossible to judge some else's pain or discomfort. Perhaps this will give you a "feel" for how bad my right had was before the surgery. After about 10 seconds of holding a comb, cell phone or tooth brush, MIG gun, my fingers would be numb. For quite a while I was able to somewhat compensate for a lot of the things I needed to do by shifting the activity to my left hand. But, the final straw was when it began keeping me up night. My whole arm would hurt so much I couldn't sleep.

If you think you have CTS then I would definitely try a wrist splint at night. That may slow the progress the nerve compression. I was never fond of wearing the splints during the day, but on ocassion I had to.
                        MTBob
                        Logan Lathe
                        Clausing Mill

Comment

Can you add a grip to the handle? I used a device that had a plastic handle and had to grip it tight to keep it from sliding in my hand. I got some tennis raquet tape and wrapped the handle up some. The added diamater and the tacky grip made a big improvment. Stop and exercize/ flex your hand whenever you can.
                          Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

Hi guys and to you fabman, I've had this same problem for years now as a result of welding and aslo tig welding to the point of waking up in the middle of the night not beening able to feel them at all and when I would tig weld I could feel the changes in the electircal current through my hands and would not be able to hold the tig rod or torch, but after all the things I tried short of going to the knife my wife found in my case it was from a vitaman deficence of vitaman b.

So we got some at wal-mart and it really help alot to were I could sleep at night and still weld during the day, yes I would wear the splints at night and some times during the day if it was bad enough. But after taking this for about a week I could feel the difference, so maybe before you go to the knife check out other ways to solve this issue that seems to be a growing problem with us.
                            Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
                            RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
                            Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
                            Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
                            DeWalt chop saw-(home)
                            Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
                            Lincoln 225 arc welder
                            Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
                            assortment bar clamps

Comment

SafetyDave: You are exactly right, vitamin B12 can help. My omission. I should have mentioned vitamin B12 as a treatment to try. I used it for a number of years and it did help. CAUTION: be sure to read up on the dosage to use. If I recall, taking too much B12 can be harmful.
                              MTBob
                              Logan Lathe
                              Clausing Mill

Comment

Originally posted by MTBob View Post
                                I've had the same problem for years. To try to manage this symptom, you may want to get a wrist splint at a local drug store. One of the events that can make the problem worse is, when you sleep, unknowingly your wrist may be bending down towards your arm and impacting the nerves. Keeping the wrist straight is important to relieve the impact on the nerves in the wrist. I used the wrist splints at night or during the day if I needed added support. I used this technique for years and it helped somewhat.
                                I can second this. Though I had better results than MTBob -- after a couple of years of using the splints at night (and sometimes during the day) the symptoms are pretty much gone (probably for 10-15 yrs now). But I do make a point of shifting myself around at work fairly often. Also, as soon as I feel my wrists/hands/fingers heading in that direction, it's ibuprofen, take a break at work, etc, etc.

for what it's worth, i'm a computer nerd during the day. that's how i got CT, and it's easy to rearrange my desk, change my position, etc to alleviate the pressure.

I'm going to have my left hand operated on in about a month.
                                Good luck!

If you see a doctor, be sure to find a experienced orthopedic hand surgeon, someone certified in hands. ...

But, be sure to find someone specializing in hands.
                                Again, 100% agreement. You always want the doc who specializes in "it" (whatever it is) and has seen all the variations and can do the procedures in his sleep, with his hands tied behind his back :-)

Good luck, and hope your wrists/hands get better.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                                X