3G Open Root Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3G Open Root Help Please

Hey Guys, I am currently working on my 3 G (1/8 land, 3/32 gap, 6010 1/8 root and hot) 7018 1/8 cap I keep getting a bit of undercut on my cap , ive tried slowing down and pausing more on the edges .. .... my question is what exactly does the inductance control do, I have it at 50% ? ! ? any advice or tips I can get rid of the undercut if i run colder but i want it to be a tight cap, I am running it at 124 amps on my cap. Thanx for any tips fellas!

Inductance makes constant current more constant.

Simply put, it makes it dig. It affects the arc force. It varies the arc from soft and shallow to crisp and deep. If you're getting undercut adjust it to get a softer arc. Or keep it at 50% and lower your current a little if you can. Softer arc is easier to lose though.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

So when you say a softer arc , that would mean lower the inductance or increase it? thank you very much for your help

Comment

How are you determining the amperage you are welding at?

At that amperage (if it's accurate) you should be easily able to cap without undercut.

Is your material very thin? If so you might need to let it cool off some before you cap it.

If all else fails you need to turn the machine down. There's no reason to have undercut on a LoHi cap, it will fill everything it digs out and then some.

JTMcC.
        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

3G Open Root

It's 3/8 Plate i forgot to mention that, and its a newer miller inverter. It can be adjusted to the amp. I really want to know more about this remote dig/inductance dial. What i gather is more inductance equals a smoother volt-ampere curve which changes in arc length dont affect the current/amps as much as a lower setting would........

Comment

If it's that thin, let it cool off a while before you cap it.

Don't get hung up on the additional knobs, you should be able to cap that thing with that knob maxed out or zeroed out.

JTMcC.

Comment

3G Passed!

Hey Jt! Thankyou for all your help, when it came down to it the problem was me and lack of patience . . I stopped 2X on the cap approx every 2 inches and I passed both the visual and the bend test , I also dropped my amps to 120. All good next up is my 3G Downhand 6010! I willl keep you posted Thanks Again for the advice.. oh i almost forgot i turned my inductance up to 70% as well . The weld was beautiful.

Comment

Congratulations.

Another important variable concerning the cap is how you fill the joint. If you leave it low, you have to carry more iron on the cap and that means slower travel and usually less heat, and if it's too low you won't be able to fill it perfectly and the result is a bit of undercut or missed bevel.
                If you fill it up more before capping you will carry a lot less iron on the capoand have to move quite a bit faster and run more heat.

One of the most important things in spraying on a slick cap is filling "just right", It makes the cap much easier.

JTMcC.

Comment

Also if the last filler before the cap has a convex, humped up profile, you'll have a crevise at the edge of the bevel. A little of that bevel showing makes it easier to see the sides but too much is an invitation to trap slag or have a small lof problem.
                  If the last filler is too concave or dished in, you can have a hard time depositing enough iron in the middle to have a nice convex, higher than the pipe, cap.
                  Some guys will completely catch the bevel edges with the last filler, that way
                  they really can't miss an edge on the cap.
                  Like my old buddy GRT says, a cap is like a house, if the foundation isn't solid the whole thing is junk.

JTMcC.

Comment

back-up for horizontal/vertical

i dont know if yyour welding vertical w/mig but i would not recomend it , tig,stick,flux-core yes , you should ask your instructor about ceramic back-up strips, elimates a backing plate completely. go to www.cerbaco.com, there out of nj.

Comment

Originally posted by flux-core View Post
                      i dont know if yyour welding vertical w/mig but i would not recomend it , tig,stick,flux-core yes , you should ask your instructor about ceramic back-up strips, elimates a backing plate completely. go to www.cerbaco.com, there out of nj.
                      Why not with solid wire? People do it every day, you just have to set your machine correctly.

Oh yeah and if you read his post:

"3 G (1/8 land, 3/32 gap, 6010 1/8 root and hot) 7018 1/8 cap"

But the backing strips you linked to look pretty cool!
                      Last edited by c wagner; 09-20-2008, 03:33 PM. Reason: added more info
                      at home:
                      2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                      2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                      2008 Suitcase 12RC
                      Spoolmatic 30A
                      WC-24
                      2009 Dynasty 200DX
                      2000 XMT 304
                      2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                      Sold:MM130XP
                      Sold:MM 251
                      Sold:CST 280

at work:
                      Invision 350MP
                      Dynasty 350
                      Millermatic 350P
                      Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Lol

That was completely off topic , lol read the first post , and as wagner said it can and is done quite often with hard wire and that is also done on pipe as i have to do too hardwire is very effective in the hands of a skilled welder you can even weld an open root downhand with hardwire its all about learning... backing strips are used mostly at beginner levels of welding, ex: CWB . . . . TIG is my preference for root passes on pipe. Then you fill er up with rod. just my opinion ,
                        Last edited by BC_Hardwire; 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I believe that was a spam post.
                          Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 211
                          4' Box and Pan Break
                          IR compressor

Comment

3G Vertical Upwards Progression
                            Vertical Downwards Progression

can't you just use 3/32 7018 at 82amps and run a file down the edge?
                            TB 325
                            TB 302
                            dynasty 200sd
                            spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                            suitcase x-treme 12vs
                            miller 211
                            evolution rage 2

Comment

Originally posted by flux-core View Post
                              doesn't look like they want to sell to students.

Comment

Working...
                              X