C02 on a Miller 135?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C02 on a Miller 135?

I have a C02 bottle I use for airing up tires, running air tools and what not.
    I was gonna also use it for my used miller 135 with solid wire.

I asked the welding shop what I needed to get my bottle hooked up to the machine (as it didn't come with any hoses or fittings for running the gas. I told em I already had an adjustable guage on my bottle.

They sold me an adapter of some sort, and a hose. Am I missing something? What the heck is the adapter for? One side is the same size as the bottle, but that's all I got.

It's probably an adapter to mount an argon regulator (flowguage) on a CO2 cylinder, since most of those units are sold new with an argon regulator and they misunderstood what you already had.

You need a regulator that reads out in CFH, cubic feet per hour, not PSI. What do you have, and will your hose mate to the back of the machine?

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
      It's probably an adapter to mount an argon regulator (flowguage) on a CO2 cylinder, since most of those units are sold new with an argon regulator and they misunderstood what you already had.

You need a regulator that reads out in CFH, cubic feet per hour, not PSI. What do you have, and will your hose mate to the back of the machine?
      Yup, that's it. I need an argon regulator too, my CO2 regular won't work.

And yeah, the house will mate to the back of the machine.

Thanks

Comment

That reg has a quick connect (the hose won't fit) and the CFH is adjusted with the screw on the front but you can't tell what the CFH is.

Another reg is a good idea.

I personally don't like CO2 for hard wire (I have used it a lot). For flux core, yeah, but for hard wire I like a mix like 75/25 for steel.
        "If you build it, they will come!"

Comment

CO² works wonderfully on a MM 135. It's all I ran on mine. The little 120V welders do better on CO². It'll give a bit better penetration than 75/25.

Get a flowgauge. They aren't that expensinve. The adapter you have will allow you to mount a flowgauge on the CO² tank.

Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
          Handler 210 w/DP3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

The little 120V welders do better on CO². It'll give a bit better penetration than 75/25.
            That's very true. I forgot we were talking about a 120v. machine!

In that case I might like flux-cored wire.
            "If you build it, they will come!"

Comment

When running at overall lower amperage/voltage I actually prefer the co2 as it provides more penetration. I also find that it burns quite clean and smooth as long as you don't start cranking it up on the bigger machines. Just my observations/ $.02.
              Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 211
              4' Box and Pan Break
              IR compressor

Comment

Originally posted by hankj View Post
                CO² works wonderfully on a MM 135. It's all I ran on mine. The little 120V welders do better on CO². It'll give a bit better penetration than 75/25.Hank
                Interesting: are you guys saying that you use CO2 with flux core? I had been under the impression that gas wasn't necessary with flux core. If you are going to use gas why not use 75/25 and stay with solid wire?
                MTBob
                Logan Lathe
                Clausing Mill
                Walker Turner Drill Press

Comment

Innershield wire doesn't require a shielding gas, Flux core has flux in the wire and it also needs a shielding gas. 75/25 can be used but most of the time CO2 will do better depending on what you have available, different gases also produce different results, such as elongation of your weld and so on
                  Trailblazer 302G
                  MM 210 with spool gun
                  Thermal Arc Heffty2 CC/CV suitcase
                  Smith torches
                  Porter Cable 14" carbide chop saw
                  griders and hand tools coming out the WAZOO

I owe! I owe! so off to work I go!

Comment

Originally posted by MTBob View Post
                    If you are going to use gas why not use 75/25 and stay with solid wire?
                    Flux core will burn hotter and pick up your speed and penetration
                    Trailblazer 302G
                    MM 210 with spool gun
                    Thermal Arc Heffty2 CC/CV suitcase
                    Smith torches
                    Porter Cable 14" carbide chop saw
                    griders and hand tools coming out the WAZOO

I owe! I owe! so off to work I go!

Comment

Originally posted by MTBob View Post
                      Interesting: If you are going to use gas why not use 75/25 and stay with solid wire?
                      Co2 is for solid wire also & more bang for the buck--works just fine on a 120v machine for all around "stuff" in the geerage.

20lb bottle of C02 = 174 CF of gas

Here a 20lb jug was 115.00 with fill
                      180cf jug of C25 was over 200.00
                      Ed Conley
                      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                      MM252
                      MM211
                      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                      TA185
                      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                      O/A set
                      SO 2020 Bender