Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c wagner
    replied
    Yeah I agree with Paul on the sunblock as a secondary precaution, especially when welding with high amps. Sometimes clothing doesn't cover every single spot.
    I was welding inside a large stainless tank with another guy, we were careful to stay away from each other as far as possible, however I still managed to burn the back of both ears(reflections suck!!!)! The next day I was hooded up more and looked like I was from the middle east!

Leave a comment:

• paulrbrown
    replied
    Broccoli1,
    Thanks for your reply, sorry to have been misleading. Paul

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by paulrbrown View Post
    Well fellas, all I know is that even with a full leather welding jacket and dark color bandana around my neck , I still get burned on areas of my neck and chin. With sunblock, I am not getting that. Do I need to be further from the arc or what? Anyone who welds with spray arc or 250+ amps in tig,stick,mig or whatever who does not cover up is asking for trouble, I have even been burned through a medium gray shirt before, so I always wear dark colors while welding. So please don't compare my comment to OCC or ValleyGirl mentality. Thanks for the Time, BTW, I am 56 and have been welding 37 of those years, maybe I am just a lucky light skinned dude who burns easy.....Paul
    Paul,

Why didn't you post this the first time?

Your first response about using Sunblock was rather Misleading

Leave a comment:

• diamondback
    replied
    sunblock

I too have used only sunblock for tig welding. I have since stopped the practice as I have learned about proximity. Using sunblock WITH other forms of protection is a good idea in my opinion.

Of course also when a welder goes into the sunlight, our world is often dark due to leather, welding hoods, gloves etc making sunlight exposure sometimes a challenge. How many of us need sunglasses to go outside but look at intense light as an occupation.

Proximity to the light source exposes us to more intense light and its effects. You wouldn't think about looking a the arc without a hood when you are at a working distance, but how many of us at 12 or 15 feet will look kind of sideways at the light hoping our safety glasses are relecting and refracting enough to keep us "safe"?

Safety first should not be just another buzz word.

My opinion.

Leave a comment:

• paulrbrown
    replied
    Well fellas, all I know is that even with a full leather welding jacket and dark color bandana around my neck , I still get burned on areas of my neck and chin. With sunblock, I am not getting that. Do I need to be further from the arc or what? Anyone who welds with spray arc or 250+ amps in tig,stick,mig or whatever who does not cover up is asking for trouble, I have even been burned through a medium gray shirt before, so I always wear dark colors while welding. So please don't compare my comment to OCC or ValleyGirl mentality. Thanks for the Time, BTW, I am 56 and have been welding 37 of those years, maybe I am just a lucky light skinned dude who burns easy.....Paul

Leave a comment:

• MTBob
    replied
    I've been using a pair of Green Sleeves during the summer months when wearing short sleeve shirts. These are great for short duration jobs! Simply slip one or both on before welding and the bare arms are protected.

Leave a comment:

• Vicegrip
    replied
    Sunblock will do wonders for not getting a burn, try it, you'll like it, and it helps keep the dirt from sticking to your skin....Paul
    paul or Pauly?

Originally posted by bob_e95482 View Post
    OCC's a$$clowns are not the best welding teachers. I wonder how much harm is done when people think "If they can do it, I can do it too".
    Same guys that tack weld with no helmet, just squint and squirt.
    Don't they get letters about this stuff?

Leave a comment:

• PUMPKINHEAD
    replied
    Originally posted by fjk View Post
    Nope.

For all practical intents, the shape of the spectrum of radiation from an object depends only on the temperature of the object. ("shape of the spectrum" is a graph where the horizontal axis is the wavelength (or color), the vertical is the intensity). For better or worse, the ultraviolet wavelengths peak at around the same temperature as the arc (and the surface of the sun). It does not matter what the arc is arcing on
    frank
    Huh? What?
    as they say, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied
    Originally posted by Clavacle View Post
    Is there no risk of sun burn with DCEN? I know from first hand experience AC aluminum TIG and steel flux-core will burn your skin real fast, but is there something about SS tig that lets you get away with short sleeves?
    Nope.

For all practical intents, the shape of the spectrum of radiation from an object depends only on the temperature of the object. ("shape of the spectrum" is a graph where the horizontal axis is the wavelength (or color), the vertical is the intensity). For better or worse, the ultraviolet wavelengths peak at around the same temperature as the arc (and the surface of the sun). It does not matter what the arc is arcing on nor which way the electrons in the arc are flowing...

(if you're very bored and very curious, do some wikipedia research on "black body radiation" :-)

Some folks may say "I've welded for umpteen years without a problem" but they may be the lucky ones who might not be that susceptible to cancer and other damage. The unlucky ones probably are not doing much talking any more

frank

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Sunblock will do wonders for not getting a burn, try it, you'll like it, and it helps keep the dirt from sticking to your skin....Paul
    Please do not give this advice unless you are talking to some one on their way to the beach.

Leave a comment:

• shorerider16
    replied
    Originally posted by enlpck View Post
    Any time you weld, cover up. The damage is cumulative, and the UV balance does not match that of the sun-- you are a lot closer to the arc so there is virtually no absorption of UV by the air before it gets to you-- and there is a greater proportion of the most damaging UV than in sunlight. The intensity is much higher, as well, than noonday sun on a clear day. The worst part is that some of the most damaging wavelengths don't give any obvious reaction. No reddening, no immediate pain. Just dead, painful skin tomorrow, or cancer in a few years.

Google Welding Hazard Index for information of time-distance (this was developed for eye exposure, but the same rule holds for skin, roughly)

Exaxtly, just for an example: It takes my forearm, which is fairly darkened by summertime, at least 45 minutes or more to burn in the most direct and hottest sun of the year. It takes about 5 seconds at roughly 210-230 amps GMAW spray. Don't need no mathematician to figure that one out.

Leave a comment:

• bob_e95482
    replied
    OCC's a$$clowns are not the best welding teachers. I wonder how much harm is done when people think "If they can do it, I can do it too".

Leave a comment:

• Clavacle
    replied
    you all pretty much confirmed what I suspected. It seems people with short sleeves are also the ones that see a nice lookin' bead and don't care to actually check if they are gettin' good fusion. I think I'll stick with the long sleeves in the hot weather and save my skin for a couple more years.

Leave a comment:

• paulrbrown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bigo
    replied
    I would also like to add that you can get burnt through your light, or light colered shirts, if your pumping some amps seems like espically on smaw. I aggree with everyone else though you should at least wear a longsleeve shirt,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X