Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no sunburn with DCEN

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • no sunburn with DCEN

    i have seen guys on Orange County Choppers, West Coast Choppers, ect mig/tig with short sleeves on and they seem to have no problems. I went to do a weld test at a company that primarily uses SS tig for most of their work and it seemed that I was in the minority group of people with long sleeves on. I've never tried to weld with no sleeves because I have $3000 worth of tattoos on my arms that I prefer not to burn the s**t out of testing this theory out. Is there no risk of sun burn with DCEN? I know from first hand experience AC aluminum TIG and steel flux-core will burn your skin real fast, but is there something about SS tig that lets you get away with short sleeves? Any help is appreciated.
    Welders do it hotter!!
    www.Munsonworks.com

  • #2
    Nope, I have been sunburned from tiggin stainless more then once. I usually wear a green jacket, no need for leathers.

    Comment


    • #3
      You will get burned no matter what polarity or process. However the lower the amperage the less intense the radiation. Playing around at school on 20 ga. stainless I decided to not wear my leathers as it was hot out. Since I was only welding for a brief period at low amps I did not get any noticable burn. Welding at work one day I decided it would be a good idea to test the machine setting with no gloves. 5 seconds of spray transfer with .035 hardwire instantly produced a sunburn that peeled a couple of days later.

      With that one exception I've always covered up while doing any sort of welding, because although you may not noticably burn, you are still absorbing UV radiation and deteriorating you're skin. Who really wants skin cancer or to look like a dried up piece of shoe leather?
      Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

      BigBlue 500D
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 211
      4' Box and Pan Break
      IR compressor

      Comment


      • #4
        If you look at how much welding the guys on those shows do, you'll know why they aren't getting burnt.

        If I'm doing a couple welds, I don't worry about covering up (I tend to always wear gloves, with a couple exceptions). If I'm doing anything more than that I wear a long sleeve shirt at a minimum (for tig). If I'm migging anything more than some small welds, I put the green shirt on.

        I used to be more care-free about spatter burns, but I'm kinda tired of the pock marks. Skin cancer is another very good reason to cover up. Having machines here now, I'm not so keen on long sleeves as they become problematic with lathe work, although it would be nice to not get peened with the hot chips.

        When I was working at 3M on their plastic film lines, I was amazed that we had the option of long sleeve uniform shirts. The chances of getting sucked into the rolls there was very high. But of course, the chances of getting burnt with molten plastic from the extruder was also there so I guess you picked your poison.
        Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

        Airco MED20 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
        Smith O/A rig
        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

        Comment


        • #5
          Any electric welding process will burn you. I used to weld Little Tykes molds and when you crawl back in a stainless steel part even your ears get burned from the flash on the shiney SS and they are covered on the frontside by your helment...Bob
          Bob Wright

          Comment


          • #6
            Any time you weld, cover up. The damage is cumulative, and the UV balance does not match that of the sun-- you are a lot closer to the arc so there is virtually no absorption of UV by the air before it gets to you-- and there is a greater proportion of the most damaging UV than in sunlight. The intensity is much higher, as well, than noonday sun on a clear day. The worst part is that some of the most damaging wavelengths don't give any obvious reaction. No reddening, no immediate pain. Just dead, painful skin tomorrow, or cancer in a few years.

            Google Welding Hazard Index for information of time-distance (this was developed for eye exposure, but the same rule holds for skin, roughly)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Clavacle View Post
              i have seen guys on Orange County Choppers, West Coast Choppers, ect mig/tig with short sleeves on and they seem to have no problems. I went to do a weld test at a company that primarily uses SS tig for most of their work and it seemed that I was in the minority group of people with long sleeves on. I've never tried to weld with no sleeves because I have $3000 worth of tattoos on my arms that I prefer not to burn the s**t out of testing this theory out. Is there no risk of sun burn with DCEN? I know from first hand experience AC aluminum TIG and steel flux-core will burn your skin real fast, but is there something about SS tig that lets you get away with short sleeves? Any help is appreciated.

              There is nothing special about tigging stainless.
              The less you "learn" from the TV experts the better. Cover up!

              Griff

              Comment


              • #8
                If you need a hood to shade your eyes, you need clothes to shade your skin....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hot day, threw on my long sleeve shirt and didn’t button up the collar. I got the nicest V burned onto my chest. I don’t forget anymore.
                  sigpic
                  God’s Wheels Motorcycle Ministry


                  304XMT cc/cv
                  For sale Best Offer
                  SOLDThank You
                  Syncrowave 250
                  MM 250
                  Spoolmatic 30V
                  MSW-41

                  O/A Victor Large

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would also like to add that you can get burnt through your light, or light colered shirts, if your pumping some amps seems like espically on smaw. I aggree with everyone else though you should at least wear a longsleeve shirt,

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sunblock will do wonders for not getting a burn, try it, you'll like it, and it helps keep the dirt from sticking to your skin....Paul
                      More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        you all pretty much confirmed what I suspected. It seems people with short sleeves are also the ones that see a nice lookin' bead and don't care to actually check if they are gettin' good fusion. I think I'll stick with the long sleeves in the hot weather and save my skin for a couple more years.
                        Welders do it hotter!!
                        www.Munsonworks.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OCC's a$$clowns are not the best welding teachers. I wonder how much harm is done when people think "If they can do it, I can do it too".
                          AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
                          3035 spoolgun
                          Spectrum 625
                          Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by enlpck View Post
                            Any time you weld, cover up. The damage is cumulative, and the UV balance does not match that of the sun-- you are a lot closer to the arc so there is virtually no absorption of UV by the air before it gets to you-- and there is a greater proportion of the most damaging UV than in sunlight. The intensity is much higher, as well, than noonday sun on a clear day. The worst part is that some of the most damaging wavelengths don't give any obvious reaction. No reddening, no immediate pain. Just dead, painful skin tomorrow, or cancer in a few years.

                            Google Welding Hazard Index for information of time-distance (this was developed for eye exposure, but the same rule holds for skin, roughly)

                            Exaxtly, just for an example: It takes my forearm, which is fairly darkened by summertime, at least 45 minutes or more to burn in the most direct and hottest sun of the year. It takes about 5 seconds at roughly 210-230 amps GMAW spray. Don't need no mathematician to figure that one out.
                            Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

                            BigBlue 500D
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 211
                            4' Box and Pan Break
                            IR compressor

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by paulrbrown View Post
                              Sunblock will do wonders for not getting a burn, try it, you'll like it, and it helps keep the dirt from sticking to your skin....Paul
                              Please do not give this advice unless you are talking to some one on their way to the beach.
                              Ed Conley
                              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                              MM252
                              MM211
                              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                              TA185
                              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                              O/A set
                              SO 2020 Bender
                              You can call me Bacchus

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X