To keep or not to keep spoolgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To keep or not to keep spoolgun?

Finally got me a mig welder! My Millermatic 210 arrived today along with a Hobart 3035-20 Spoolgun which was included in the sale.

This is the older style generic spoolgun which fits the Millermatic 210. I imagine the original purchaser recognised this and purchased it over the Miller 3035-20 which is slightly more expensive.

I have no intention of welding Aluminum and wasn't looking for a spoolgun. Then again, I had no intention of welding, and then no intention of going from stick to mig and now I've got me a big blue monster (the MM210 is WAY bigger than I thought it would be!) that has cost me a pile of money - way more than I ever intended to spend.

Trying to decide whether or not I should sell the spoolgun since I didn't plan on getting it in the first place. It is brand new - never been plugged in.

What do you guys think?

Have no intention of welding aluminum?
    1) Had no intention of welding.
    2) Had no intention of going from stick to mig.
    3) Never intended to spend that much.

Your track record tells me the decision is easy - KEEP IT!
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
    http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Ditto...more than likely you'll use it sometime

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

N2W, would make a great 'Raygun' prop this Halloween if nothing else.....Keep it, Ya'll Luv It......Brownie
        More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Keep it for running odd wires if nothing else.
          Syncrowave 250DX
          Invison 354MP
          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
          Smith O/A rig
          And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Keep it. I use mine for just as much steel wire as alum. That 20' length is hard to beat...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

Just an aside, are odd wires the ones that end in 1,3,5,7,and 9....sorry, just had to be a smarty pants, these 'Engineering Capsules' are starting to get to me.......Keep the Spoolgun, it takes awhile to get used to the heft, but in no time you will be welding on your head and wondering why you were always afraid of something so heavy....I even turn mine upside down to cradle in my arm and it is amazing how comfortable it is.....and I have a first generation Miller Gun....Hope this Helps,Paul
              More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

I'm pretty new to my XR 30A, and I'm already wanting the spool canister for it for doing stuff that I don't want to lay out substantial cash for a 12" spool of (like stainless).

Being able to just pull the liner out of the back of the gun and pop in a 4" roll of whatever is a great feature. It also spares my liner from having to ever experience steel (potentially less wear that way). Now, not having to have that roll hanging off the back of the gun all the time: well, that's why I got the XR Control.
                Syncrowave 250DX
                Invison 354MP
                XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                Smith O/A rig
                And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Sell it!

Sell it to me. I could use a good spool gun!

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                  Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                  "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                  "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                  "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Mine has more steel wire use than anything. I love the 20' reach. Nice on top of a horse trailer!

I'd hang onto it.

Hank
                    ...from the Gadget Garage
                    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                    Handler 210 w/DP3035
                    TA185TSW
                    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Not sure I trust a guy called "BodyBaggger" :-). Just joking of course.

Are you really looking for a Spoolgun BodyBagger - or just joking? Where are you located - the great white north called Canada or the USA.

This welding thing has become a disease. I've spent so much money on stuff, I might have to let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by new2weld View Post
                        Not sure I trust a guy called "BodyBaggger" :-). Just joking of course.

Are you really looking for a Spoolgun BodyBagger - or just joking? Where are you located - the great white north called Canada or the USA.

This welding thing has become a disease. I've spent so much money on stuff, I might have to let it go.

Oh gosh....whatever....so You got almost all "keep its" except for one dude who wanted it. Sounds like you already had made up your mind beforehand.
                        Welding is one of the few hobbies that can pay for itself.
                        Also you realize the day after you sell it you will have a reason to use it don't you.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I've got a wife who is really not happy with the bill for all of this stuff !

Still pondering the decision. Really depends on what I can get for an unused spoolgun. Maybe I should just hang on for a bit before I decide.

Comment

Originally posted by new2weld View Post
                            I've got a wife who is really not happy with the bill for all of this stuff !

"This welding thing has become a disease.."

and remind her of her Vows,,, " In sickness and in health"

although she may use the other one on you

"'til death do us part."
                            Ed Conley
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Lol!

My neighbour has 6 tractors in various stages of repair. His wife has decided that if he is fooling around with tractors, he's not fooling around with other women!

Comment

Working...
                              X