X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markhs
    • Sep 2008

Welding game

On a recent trip to the video game store with my mom, who I am teaching to weld she had a great idea in (In my opinion). She said that it would be cool if someone came out with a video game in which you could either learn to weld, to design and test different projects, or to get some others involved in welding. This got me thinking there could be mig, stick, and tig controllers and could be sponsored by a welder manufacture like miller. sorry for rambling but i just had to throw this out there and get your ideas on something like this.
    Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.
  • cruizer
    • Oct 2004

Too late both Miller and Lincoln already have welding simulators, didn't fly too well in training the general welding industry, not sure if they are still in use or not though.

Comment

• projectwelder
      • Jun 2007

Funny, I was thinking the same thing while staring at a Nintendo Wii the other day.
      John

Millermatic DVI
      Millermatic 375 xtreme
      And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Comment

• krackle
        • Feb 2008

Seems like it would just be easier to learn how to weld by welding... worked fine for me at least.

It might be kind of fun though.
        Read or submit reviews of Lincoln, Hobart and Miller Welders atThe Welder Shop.

Comment

• Craig in Denver
          • Jan 2008

Awesome Mom

Originally posted by markhs View Post
          On a recent trip to the video game store with my mom, who I am teaching to weld
          Now, that is one freakin' cool Mom. Does she have a single sister??
          RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
          sigpic

Comment

• metalmeltr
            • Sep 2008

That could be done with he wii the torch heads could plug right into the end of the contrler, could also have a grinder.
            This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

Comment

• Admin
              Administrator
              • Aug 2002

Virtual vs real-world welding

I've had the opportunity to try both. The virtual welding experience seemed very different from real-world welding, in my opinion. I had a helmet that provided a 360 virtual view of my surroundings, and a real MIG gun in my hand that was rigged up to the computer. While "welding", you can set the computer to give you cues as you go along to change your angle, speed, etc. Afterward, it gives you a little report on how consistantly you're welding and if you're welding within the desired parameters. What was missing was seeing the puddle and the way the gun interacts with the metal. It wasn't bad, but there are still improvements to be made, as with most anything in technology. When I got to try real-world welding for the first time only 2 weeks after that, I thought I'd have a little head start on picking up the angle, speed, etc., but I still really felt like I was starting from scratch as far as getting a "feel" for the process.

To be fair, I only tried virtual welding for 10-15 minutes and I was real-world welding for 3 days, but that's my 2 cents.

Comment

• BC_Hardwire
                • Aug 2008

Virtual & Real Welding

Ya , the virtual welding also wont give you the blister knuckles , as you try to squeeze every last bit of rod in. And in real world welding your working positions are NEVER comfortable... ever had to weld with a mirror cuz u couldnt fit ? Virtual has no significance as far as gaining skill goes, however..... I beleive it would be suitable for showing new welders the basic concept of travel speed and angles. The rest must be learned in the real world like heat and weld defects.

Comment

• bbell
                  • Jul 2011

welding game

hello, I have always wanted a welding game but none ever been made!
                  I will figure out who to give the idea to sometime but i cant wait till one is made!

Comment

• bbell
                    • Jul 2011

welding game- simulators

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                    Too late both Miller and Lincoln already have welding simulators, didn't fly too well in training the general welding industry, not sure if they are still in use or not though.

yeah but on the simulator you cannot build what you want to and in the video game you could build literally whatever you would want!

Comment

• Bushytails
                      • Jul 2011

You could always find some nerd-types and write a role-playing welding game...

"My Level 31 Crane Operator casts Lifting Sling on your I-Beam resource. The resource is removed from your supplies." "But wait! My Level 67 Fabricator casts Emergency Tack Weld to the building, and your lifting sling breaks!" "I cast Angle Grinder!" "I have plenty of rods left - I re-weld it." "In that case, I'll cast Poor Penetration." "That's what she said! hurrr hurrr hurrr"

--Bushytails

Comment

• reggie
                        • Feb 2009

buy a caulking gun and a few tubes of caulking.....
                        ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"

Comment

• jelias
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by reggie View Post
                          buy a caulking gun and a few tubes of caulking.....
                          Thats funny, someone just commented on a sloppy caulking job i did the other day, not that it mattered it was in the ceiling never to be seen again. But it was sloppy. After wards i thought to myself everyone always says welded is just like running a metal caulking gun. I could have definetly made a nicer looking weld. But kinda like welding in a video game, no where even close.
                          Linclon power mig 350MP

Comment

• hockeyguynick
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by BC_Hardwire View Post
                            ever had to weld with a mirror cuz u couldnt fit ? Virtual has no significance as far as gaining skill goes, however..... I beleive it would be suitable for showing new welders the basic concept of travel speed and angles. The rest must be learned in the real world like heat and weld defects.
                            I use a mirror every single day, that is a skill every welder should master. Definitely saves your back instead of trying to cram into a space. I use one now just so I can be lazy and not have to move around to the other side of a pipe, lol.

I think it would be cool to try a simulator, but I agree with everyone else. There's no way to really get a feel for welding without actually striking an arc.

Comment

• HAWK
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by BC_Hardwire View Post
                              ever had to weld with a mirror cuz u couldnt fit ? Virtual has no significance as far as gaining skill goes, The rest must be learned...
                              Yes many times on pipe butt welds. I bet the virtual experience does not let you heat up a rod, poke it through a spare gold lens making a makeshift mirror, curl the end of a 6010 and work it in with an inch at best for clearance on the back side.

HAWK

Comment

Working...
                              X