This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help w/ alum mig

I am new to the forum, long time reader. I currently switched my 110 v mig to weld on alum. I can weld steel just fine, however alum different story. I tried welding on my alum boat tonight, and it looks like horse turds on the boat. The weld is not sticking to the boat and just splattering off. It is not even melting the metal on the boat. I need some advice on how to make this work. Cleaned the metal very well, and did everything that everyone talks about on the forums, I just need to know what is going on with my welder-welding. Please help.

josterbauer, Welcome to the forum.

First of all, are you using 100% argon? C25 used for carbon steel is a big no no on aluminum.

Second, it sounds as if you're running too cold. You need to run hotter (and faster) with Aluminum than you would for CS.

Third, check out this video from this site which should answer most of your questions. http://www.millerwelds.com/swf/flv/f...=320&h=240&v=8

Duane
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
    http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Originally posted by josterbauer View Post
      my 110 v mig to weld on alum.
      Could be the culprit right there

110/120v machines limited to rather thin stock AL.

What thickness we talkin' about on an Aloominum boat?
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

and Photos would help.
        Ed Conley
        MM252
        MM211
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Yes, I am using 100% argon. I have tried the higher setting on the voltage, and it just fizzes and blows the wire all over the place. I am actually using an sp100 lincoln welder, not the miller. I do not have a small miller. Any advice will surely help. Do I need to turn up the voltage and the wire speed as well, or do you use a high voltage, and a med wire speed? Let me know. Thanks in advance.

Comment

The alum thickness is a .102 thickness on the material. As for photo's, just looks like a pile of melted plastic beads.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
              josterbauer, Welcome to the forum.

First of all, are you using 100% argon? C25 used for carbon steel is a big no no on aluminum.

Second, it sounds as if you're running too cold. You need to run hotter (and faster) with Aluminum than you would for CS.

Third, check out this video from this site which should answer most of your questions. http://www.millerwelds.com/swf/flv/f...=320&h=240&v=8

Duane
              Great info. Torch angle is key and a very fast travel speed. Welding Al is much different then Steel. Use a heat gun ti pre-heat your material, prep and clean with an Al cleaner. Run her hot and fast with about a 10-15 degree angle and us the push technique. Here is an old pic of my first attempt on my MM180 with the Spoolmate 100. 1/8" Al.

James
              Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
              WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
              Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
              20Ton press
              And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
              www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

One more pic:

James
                Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                20Ton press
                And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

That looks good compared to what I have been creating.

Comment

Yes, I am using 100% argon. I have tried the higher setting on the voltage, and it just fizzes and blows the wire all over the place. I am actually using an sp100 lincoln welder, not the miller. I do not have a small miller. Any advice will surely help. Do I need to turn up the voltage and the wire speed as well, or do you use a high voltage, and a med wire speed? Let me know. Thanks in advance.
                    Most likely you will have the Voltage at D and the wire speed up there around 8,9,10
                    Ed Conley
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Lincoln, Miller or ?? the same basic rules will apply. I didn't point out some of the critical tips that StillBoostin shared as they're covered in the video (did you view it yet?).

Wire speed and voltage settings will obviously vary with material thickness so for starters try running the wire speed at mid-point and adjust your voltage up or down in small increments to get the results demonstrated in the video. You should also review your unit manual for any recommended settings for the material thickness.

Keep us posted.
                      Syncrowave 180 SD
                      *HF-251D-1
                      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                      PakMaster 100XL

Comment

Go with the settings Brocolli1 suggested for starters as he's familiar with your machine - I'm not.
                        Syncrowave 180 SD
                        *HF-251D-1
                        *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                        PakMaster 100XL

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
                          Go with the settings Brocolli1 suggested for starters as he's familiar with your machine - I'm not.
                          Kinda jumped the gun as that was for a tapped machine- Thought the Sp100 was similar to the 100HD.

Looks like the Sp100 has Continuous Voltage selection and the manual does not provide any suggested settings for AL.

but aloominum does take some juice so I figger he'll still need to be in the upper Voltage selection as well as for a pretty fast wire speed.
                          Ed Conley
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          TA185
                          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                          O/A set
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

correct me if i'm way off here. The upper limit for a 110 machine on steel is about 1/8". He is doing .100" alluminum, and a large piece too (boat hull??). I don't think you will have the power available to do the job, sounds like your not melting into the base metal. What type of joint config? is it on the hull? post some pics of the area to be welded and your results.
                            Dynasty 200 DX
                            Millermatic 175
                            Spectrum 375
                            All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

I think its more of a case of attempting to run too big of a consumable wire, never melt right if he's going larger than 023 on a really light duty machine

Comment

Working...
                              X