Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welder13
    replied
    Ha, boy long story short but I'm third in youth class points, I've had a pretty pathetic season because I've hardly had a race that something didn't break on me. I had to miss my last one because after getting cases and my head back along with hubs and several other parts the friday night before the race I had a bad water pump seal on my clutch cover, was up until 2 am and was about to throw plastics on and load stuff in the truck when my brother realized it was leaking

Also I didn't get home until 11 because I had to go to our homecoming game, personally I don't care about homecoming but maybe I'll regret it later. I'd rather be able to look back and say I won races on three hours of sleep because I had a full classload along with band and sports than just saying I was math tutoring in highschool and didn't do anything but race because I was lazy.

We're just hardly inside Oklahoma City limits. What are some of their names? Who knows, I may be racing them for overall points.

Leave a comment:

• safetydave
    replied
    Originally posted by welder13 View Post
    The 250 smokers do seem hard to find right now, as far as price I've seen it's a lot easier to find them cheap local then off ebay or some other place. A good place I've seen to find them is the classifieds on craigslist.com though, but not all of them are prestine.

I just saw in a local co-op newsletter a guy had a 90' lt250 with a few mods for $1,600 so they are still out there, a lot of the guys are overpricing stuff right now, which is ironic because the buying market is really down right now.

I'm out of central oklahoma and haven't road much less raced out of state
    Hey dude whats up with your raceing lately? how are you doing? were at in Oaklahoma do you live? I have a couple of buddys that live in Holdenville I worked with them on some refrigeration work locally at Con-Agri foods about 10yrs ago and pretty much haven't seen or talk to since everbody moved or got married.

Leave a comment:

• welder13
    replied
    Originally posted by safetydave View Post
    Howdy 13, that rim looks like crap I know how you feel when you see things like this happen in a race thats why I switched to steel on all set-ups it might be more weight but they will last in the long run. Have you heard or do you know where I'm talking about in regards to the tracks I mentioned? and if so how close are you to them? I have thought about getting another but with my family and the cost of raising on out weighs the cost of me getting back into racing but I would and have been looking for a used 250 for the right price(cheap) but like I said before they want new or higher price for a used machinego figure just when I thought I sold mine for a good price come to find out this is what they are getting for junk used.

When I bought mine new with extra tires rims and handle bars it cost me just under $2,900 brand new now this is what they get for used and even more up to 3,500-4,000 dollars what the heck is going on with that deal? but I'll keep looking for the right one. Best of luck to you on your races.
    The 250 smokers do seem hard to find right now, as far as price I've seen it's a lot easier to find them cheap local then off ebay or some other place. A good place I've seen to find them is the classifieds on craigslist.com though, but not all of them are prestine.

I just saw in a local co-op newsletter a guy had a 90' lt250 with a few mods for $1,600 so they are still out there, a lot of the guys are overpricing stuff right now, which is ironic because the buying market is really down right now.

I'm out of central oklahoma and haven't road much less raced out of state

Leave a comment:

• safetydave
    replied
    Howdy 13, that rim looks like crap I know how you feel when you see things like this happen in a race thats why I switched to steel on all set-ups it might be more weight but they will last in the long run. Have you heard or do you know where I'm talking about in regards to the tracks I mentioned? and if so how close are you to them? I have thought about getting another but with my family and the cost of raising on out weighs the cost of me getting back into racing but I would and have been looking for a used 250 for the right price(cheap) but like I said before they want new or higher price for a used machinego figure just when I thought I sold mine for a good price come to find out this is what they are getting for junk used.

When I bought mine new with extra tires rims and handle bars it cost me just under $2,900 brand new now this is what they get for used and even more up to 3,500-4,000 dollars what the heck is going on with that deal? but I'll keep looking for the right one. Best of luck to you on your races.

Leave a comment:

• welder13
    replied
    I'm going to just pick up some aluminum and pay to have someone else tig it and move the mount over, 30 or 40 bucks for them to run a 10 minute bead since I'll already have everything cut but it is what it is.

I race xc in the youth class, going to do mostly mx next year and some xc too. I was supposed to do them both this year but schedules and finances just didn't work out. A friend of mine has an 87 lt250 he races, he's won several races on it and I've seen him right after he's cased and cartwheeled a table top. You should go pick you up a 450 or a 250 smoker and go race some...shure beats sitting at home

Last race was messed up though, went in with a blown head gasket roasting through water and over flowing, didn't even know if it was going to hold together. Got the whole shot and my float got stuck, guy got past me in a wreck. Got stuck in another wreck later and he got at least a three minute lead on me. Hit the mx section on lap three and feel this crazy vibration on the first table pinned, thought I either bent and axle or I was gonna lose a wheel when I landed. Came through scoring and stop to check my wheel, three lugs are loose and ones gone, complete slit through one ear. I got spared lugs stuck on with washers and limped around for one more lap only to find out I went over the 2 hour minute. And FYI I put my steel spare rims on because I messed my aluminum ones before the race

Last edited by welder13; 09-28-2008, 06:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• safetydave
    replied
    Sorry, ask a question and space out. Teenager juggling all pre-ap, cross country, band, racing, and whatever else jumps in and I've been tied up away from racing and forgot so again sorry

If your around quads mine's actually a dg alloy but I think the physically exterior is the same. I'll get a detailed picture tonight but the piece of strap coming up from that is broke in half. I've seen people put strap around them but I'm almost positive I would break it off

Hey, what year 250r do you have and you ever race any?
    I did have three at one time 86,87,88 and yes raced also on weekends at Milan,harrison,Log road,Irish Hills,Buchanon(sp?) all these are in Michigan so I was pretty busy on week nights getting every thing ready for the races.

Set ups were 86 stock, 87 flat track 88 motocross I kept them for a long time then got married and sold them to pay for wedding
    wish I would still had them today, what I paid new for them thats what they sell for used.
    Last edited by safetydave; 09-16-2008, 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• welder13
    replied
    It's easier to see it through the link http://www.monkeybuttparts.com/pk4/s...w_product=3348 I've got a lincoln 225 buzz box and a cheapo harbor freight flux-core wire feed. I just found out my uncle bought a nice miller mig/tig/stick but I don't know if I'll see him before I race next

Leave a comment:

• welder13
    replied
    Sorry, ask a question and space out. Teenager juggling all pre-ap, cross country, band, racing, and whatever else jumps in and I've been tied up away from racing and forgot so again sorry

If your around quads mine's actually a dg alloy but I think the physically exterior is the same. I'll get a detailed picture tonight but the piece of strap coming up from that is broke in half. I've seen people put strap around them but I'm almost positive I would break it off

Hey, what year 250r do you have and you ever race any?

Leave a comment:

• safetydave
    replied
    Well haven't posted here in a while been lurking, I've got an aluminum muffler off my quad I've had problems with several times.

I don't have a picture to describe the mount but it was designed terribly and I'm to the point I can either bolt a piece of steel to it which will probly fall apart later too or gamble with trying some aluminum stick welding or pushing some aluminum flux through a wire feed.

The aluminum mount is about an 1/8 inch thick and it's a race quad so it has the snot beat out of it on a weekly basis. Is it worth taking the leap on trying aluminum or just go bolt up some steel and pay to have it tigged together later?
    Hey 13, how you doing? if you could get me a GOOD CLEAR PIC of your pipe I think I could help you out becuase if yours is the way i'm thinking I have fixed this type beore for the guys at work and even on my own quad(250r)
    so if you have time to do this I could point you in the right direction to fixing it.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    It usually isn't feasible or even prudent to try to gear up, all the hassle for a one off job and someone with the stuff on hand can do it quickly, likely has the skill level to get it right the first time, also possibly can make some improvement over a failed bracket, also adding second hanger may be an option, sometimes as simple as a piece of muffler strap, maybe incorporate spring or any number of possible options usually to help eliminate twisting of some type.

Leave a comment:

• Aerometalworker
    replied
    Well haven't posted here in a while been lurking, I've got an aluminum muffler off my quad I've had problems with several times.

I don't have a picture to describe the mount but it was designed terribly and I'm to the point I can either bolt a piece of steel to it which will probly fall apart later too or gamble with trying some aluminum stick welding or pushing some aluminum flux through a wire feed.

The aluminum mount is about an 1/8 inch thick and it's a race quad so it has the snot beat out of it on a weekly basis. Is it worth taking the leap on trying aluminum or just go bolt up some steel and pay to have it tigged together later?
    What equipment do you have to use?
    With .125" aluminum in that type of application I would suggest either Tig or Torch welding it. Mig may be too much of a "one shot deal" for that kind of repair.
    -Aaron

Leave a comment:

• welder13
    started a topic Aluminum

Aluminum

Working...
X