About $1,500 available

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About $1,500 available

I am wanting to get a welder for the shop, we need to weld on something every once in a while. I would like to get a stick/TIG setup so I could maybe learn a little about TIG, since all I've ever owned is a stick box. (and that walked off, so need another welder)

I've looked at the Miller Econotig several times, it will do both and I suppose a person could put a spool gun on it too? I don't know, so am here asking questions.

I don't know which model or whose to buy.

All advice welcome.

Ken
    Click on the sig photo
    sigpic
    An Automotive Machine Shop

Without a doubt a USED Syncrowave would be your best bet.
    Unless Miller makes the Diversion into a stick machine as well.
    There is hundreds of great used syncros out there these days and they are rock solid stick/tig machines.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by MrChevy View Post
      I've looked at the Miller Econotig several times, it will do both and I suppose a person could put a spool gun on it too? I don't know, so am here asking questions.
      The Econotig won't accept a spool gun. You need a constant current (CC) constant voltage (CV) macine to be able to do all three processes (stick, mig, tig) and to tig aluminum you need AC output.
      A shop machine such as an older Shopmaster 300 that will do all three process with added equipment.
      To the best of my knowledge Miller doesn't currently offer a shop machine that is CC/CV AC/DC, but they also don't offer many new machines in your price range.
      Your best bet is a used Syncrowave (as FuisionKing mentioned) if you want to tig aluminum and stick weld or something like a Shopmaster if you want one machine to do it all which would require a spool gun (aluminum mig, also capable of solid and fluxcore wire) or wire feeder (solid or fluxcore wire) as well as a tig torch (scratch start tig) and high frequency box (aluminum tig or at least high frequency starts).

Should be clear as mud now!!!
      at home:
      2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
      2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
      2008 Suitcase 12RC
      Spoolmatic 30A
      WC-24
      2009 Dynasty 200DX
      2000 XMT 304
      2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
      Sold:MM130XP
      Sold:MM 251
      Sold:CST 280

at work:
      Invision 350MP
      Dynasty 350
      Millermatic 350P
      Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Hi,
        I've got a new 350LX at home that I am going to play with one of these days, (still haven't got it wired up) but just want something cheap for the shop that will get abused. Maybe after I put a couple dings in it, a few years from now... I may move the 350LX down to the shop then.
        But for now, just want something for the guys to use once in a while down there.

We don't weld on customers stuff. Just making a jig or tool once in a while. Save us running to the welding shop.

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.

Ken
        Attached Files
        Click on the sig photo
        sigpic

Comment

You are just screwing yourself not hooking the machine you already have up, why throw more money at it? Now if you dont have one spend the 1500 on a Hobart HH210 and spool gun for general shop work. Its something a guy would get a lot of use out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
            You are just screwing yourself not hooking the machine you already have up, why throw more money at it? Now if you dont have one spend the 1500 on a Hobart HH210 and spool gun for general shop work. Its something a guy would get a lot of use out of.

Abso-freakin'-lutely.....get a HH210 and a spoolgun and then when it gets "technical" scoop those parts up and take them up to your "lab" and do your magic

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
              Ah, with that reasoning it would be: I have a pickup, so I sure don't need my motorcycle, or my SUV or my '68 Nova SS.

I am not interested in getting a LOT of use out of a welder, I just want one that the employees can bang up that does TIG/STICK and MIG with a gun attached. I do not need to buy a "bigger" one for the shop, because I already have a "bigger" one that only I will use. Sorta like I have an O/A setup at the shop that is pretty abused and one out in the small rototiller shed (a little tan building where the rototiller is kept) behind my house that has been used twice in 15 years and still looks new. They are just fun to have.

Ken
              Attached Files
              Click on the sig photo
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X