First Project - Please critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Project - Please critique

Hi, I bought a used mm150 a month or so ago. I practiced for about 10hrs total on scrap doing different joints and finally welded up a couple odds and ends around the house. My neighbor noticed the bright lights coming from the garage and asked me if I could fix a bunch of cart axels/suspension for him. They are from a utility wagons rated to hold 1500 lb. They break at the same spots every time. I welded them together using large washers. I fixed 12 of them the same way. All are holding. I wanted to have someone look at my welds and offer suggestions to improve as I seem to have come to a peak in my skills. (Not getting any better). Maybe I'm doing just fine? Take a look at the pics and let me know.

All were done with 035 flux core. 23 volts, 40% feed speed. not sure what that means in ipm.
    Attached Files

Final pic

Here is the final all assembled
    Attached Files

Comment

Welds look good from where I'm standing.
      Maxstar 200DX
      Maxstar 300DX
      Dynasty 200DX
      Passport
      Spectrum 701
      LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Welds look good from here also...

How do you know you were at 23 volts...............I have a 150 and there's
        no read out.............just 4 position for output.
        Nick
        Miller 252 Mig
        Miller Cricket XL
        Millermatic 150 Mig
        Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
        2-O/A outfits
        Jet Lathe and Mill
        Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
        DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
        Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
        20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
        Propane Forge
        60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
        Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
        and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by mcauleym View Post
          Hi, I bought a used mm150 a month or so ago. I practiced for about 10hrs total on scrap doing different joints and finally welded up a couple odds and ends around the house. My neighbor noticed the bright lights coming from the garage and asked me if I could fix a bunch of cart axels/suspension for him. They are from a utility wagons rated to hold 1500 lb. They break at the same spots every time. I welded them together using large washers. I fixed 12 of them the same way. All are holding. I wanted to have someone look at my welds and offer suggestions to improve as I seem to have come to a peak in my skills. (Not getting any better). Maybe I'm doing just fine? Take a look at the pics and let me know.

All were done with 035 flux core. 23 volts, 40% feed speed. not sure what that means in ipm.
          Nice welding,no globs of junk and no pin holes which is a good thing.
          Just wondering what are these carts used for? If you say this is the spot were it seems to brake all the time. Keep in mind that now this guy knows you can weld it it holds pretty good you might find extra work from himand others on a normal basis CHA-CHING $$$$$$.
          Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
          RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
          Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
          Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
          DeWalt chop saw-(home)
          Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
          Lincoln 225 arc welder
          Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
          assortment bar clamps

Comment

Voltage and cart usage

The carts are actually used for transporting laundry around at the jail. They are about 2ft by 5 feet and have a expanded metal basket on the top.

I know its at 23 volts because I used a voltmeter between the electrode wire and ground and pulled the trigger for a couple seconds to get a reading so I knew with a little more accuracy. For your info I did the other taps too -

Tap 1 - 19 volts
            Tap 2 - 23 volts
            Tap 3 - 26/27 volts
            Tap 4 - 30ish volts

As for making some bucks I don't have a business license etc so he couldn't pay me. The guy can spend on consumable to compensate so he bought me a 10lb roll of wire. About $70 bucks cdn for fixing the dozen or so pieces. He also supplied a grinder wheel and the washers.

I was a little worried about the galvenizing on the washers so I just kept a breeze coming through the garage.

All good for practice too. I'm thinking of building a utility trailer in the spring when I have some bucks. I have an engineer friend who works for Advance trailer. I figured a case of beer and he'd CAD me up a design.

Wife still questioning my abilities. I'm going to show her the thread.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Personally it sounds like he is looking for a cheap weldor...and he has found one
              Sorry but I sorta think he is just trying to get over on you. It may work out good for now but sooner or later he is gonna run outa goodies to give you but still expect you to burn that wire. A biz license in my town only costs $15 a year.
              Send him after a bottle of gas next and see what he does
              Your work does look plenty fine to me BTW....but...if your trailer is gonna see a public highway... I'm backin' yer ole lady

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Nice looking welds, mcauleym! I am going to be buying a welder soon and look forward to laying a few beads myself.

Read my reply to FusionKing. It doesn't matter if you are working out of your garage, you can be a "real" business. Just do the paperwork. Make a few "extra" dollars for buying more toys.

Ken
                Click on the sig photo
                sigpic
                An Automotive Machine Shop

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                  Personally it sounds like he is looking for a cheap weldor...and he has found one

Sorry but I sorta think he is just trying to get over on you. It may work out good for now but sooner or later he is gonna run outa goodies to give you but still expect you to burn that wire. A biz license in my town only costs $15 a year.

Send him after a bottle of gas next and see what he does

Your work does look plenty fine to me BTW....but...if your trailer is gonna see a public highway... I'm backin' yer ole lady
                  I don't know what it's like in Canada where mcauleym is, but here in Oregon when dealing with the State and County we set them up with a charge account and there IS some paperwork involved. They aren't like a private business where you just give someone cash and they give you a receipt.

mcauleym said:
                  I don't have a business license etc so he couldn't pay me. The guy can spend on consumable to compensate so he bought me a 10lb roll of wire.
                  The problem is with the "etc". The guy from the County Jail can (and it seems, did) go to one of the Jail's vendors and charged a roll of wire and instead of taking it back to the Jail, gave it to mcauleym.

I have a couple of State of Oregon accounts at the machine shop, and a County one. The City of Salem just use a Credit Card when they have stuff done at our machine shop.

This is from the Oregon Secretary of State website,

http://www.filinginoregon.com
                  Business Information Center Frequently Asked Questions

What does "doing business" mean?
                  Do you expect to profit from your activities in Oregon? If you do, you are probably doing business in Oregon.
                  A taxpayer having one or more of the following in Oregon is clearly doing business in this state:
                  • A stock of goods.
                  • An office.
                  • A place of business (other than an office) where affairs of the corporation are regularly conducted.
                  "Doing business" also includes providing services to customers as the primary business activity (such as accounting or personal services), or incidental to the sale of tangible or intangible personal property (such as installation of a product).
                  Do I need to Register with the Secretary of State?
                  Anyone doing business in Oregon is required to register with the Secretary of State.
                  I would bet there are many on these forums who are not registered with their Secretary of State.
                  ABN's cost $50 every 2 years and Inc's, LLC's etc cost $50 every year to keep them registered here in Oregon.

Canada might cost more or less. Always nice to do business legally, no matter where you are. Then the law doesn't come knocking on your door some day if you are unlucky and come to their attention.

Ken
                  Click on the sig photo
                  sigpic

Comment

All in all still looks good. Weld for fun or weld for cash is up to you. Enjoy either.

Comment

Where do you live in Canada mcauleym?

I just recently registered a business name and a business license (provincial). It was $50 for the name and $55 for the license (or the other way around), you don't need to register a name, they will just give you a number and since it's a sole proprietor business your customers can just make the payment out in your name.
                      Next is the Gst number and Pst number (if your province has a provincial tax), the gst number is easy you can call or go online to register free of charge, BUT then you have to collect tax and remit taxes potentially numerous times a year (depends on volume collected), you do however stand to get some tax back for your capital expenditures (mmm new welding equipment )! I haven't filed for a pst number and have heard mixed things about that. If I don't get a number I don't know how I can charge the pst and I don't know if I can legally NOT charge the pst. I'm still researching that one.
                      Then you'll need a business license for the city/ town that your working in and technically EVERY city or town you do work in (approx $50 in my area). That's where things get tricky. In the city I live/ work in I can't legally operate a welding business in my garage since it's zoned as residential. So I will have to apply as a mobile welding business, now this puts a red flag in their system. They won't do too much as long as the neighbors don't complain (had a buddy that worked on cars get turned in) about too much traffic, smoke, sparks, NOISE!!! etc. However they will periodically check in to make sure your not storing gases or other hazardous materials (their definition not yours) in your garage. If they happen to catch you with a project in progress or worse yet catch you welding etc. they might have a few word with you and possibly small monetary fines.
                      I haven't registered with the city yet (still researching all the hoops I need to jump) but I hope to take that next step.

So a couple more things I have to take care of but nobody said running a business was easy... oh yeah and then you have to bid/ quote jobs, deal with customers good and bad, bills coming in and accounts receivables stacking up... maybe I should stop there!!!

My advice to you, if your going to get serious then start researching now, otherwise start working for beer!!!
                      at home:
                      2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                      2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                      2008 Suitcase 12RC
                      Spoolmatic 30A
                      WC-24
                      2009 Dynasty 200DX
                      2000 XMT 304
                      2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                      Sold:MM130XP
                      Sold:MM 251
                      Sold:CST 280

at work:
                      Invision 350MP
                      Dynasty 350
                      Millermatic 350P
                      Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Great post, c wagner.

Lots of good information in it for people living in Canada. Yep, no one said doing business legally was easy. Always another hoop to jump through it seems.

Ken
                        Click on the sig photo
                        sigpic

Comment

welds look good....end of weld looks like it was covered well also. If in doubt, you might want to weld underneath also....If it's for the jail, is the trailer just pulled around with a cart or truck??? When you make your first trailer and you get your cad design, my suggestion would be to run it by the forum. Guys like dabar39 (Dave)and aametalmaster (Bob) has a lot of experience on building trailers, and show us detailed pics on all your welds like you did this time (nice job on the pics by the way
                          my .o2
                          bert
                          I'm not late...
                          I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Extra money & DBA

Hey Mcauleym
                            I understand were your coming from but in our neck of the woods we can get what they call a DBA(doing business as) lisc for about $ 15 and your good for 5yrs just in case someone does call and report you.

And even if you don't have a DBA you can still do things for extra money on the side with out it and not have to worry to much unless someone gets GREEDY and trys to sue for some stupid reason to get out of paying, it would be like can you give me a ride to the store and I'll give you some cash for it
                            same concept. Just my opinion on that issue, I've been doing this for awhile and haven't had any problems.

As for your wifes concern about your abillity with welding, mines been asking me for years (are you sure you know what your doing or do you know how to do that? YES I DO KNOW I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR OVER 20YRS AND IF I DON'T THEN I WILL FIGURE OUT HOW) but for the trailer deal I would be very carefull when building one because of the LIABILITY ISSUE because if you haven't built one before I would get some help from some one who has FOR SAFETY REASONS!! I'm not saying you can't build one but it's some thing different to build and then put it on the road with other people, I've built several and haven't had any problems with them and there still useing them on a daily basis.

Just trying to give some insite on this from my opinion but remember it's my way of thinking not yours, you need to do what you feel comfortable doing. This is all legal to do.
                            Last edited by safetydave; 08-20-2008, 07:36 AM. Reason: info added
                            Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
                            RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
                            Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
                            Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
                            DeWalt chop saw-(home)
                            Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
                            Lincoln 225 arc welder
                            Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
                            assortment bar clamps

Comment

I'm located in Regina Saskatchewan Canada. About 2hrs north of Minot ND.
                              The City wants $125 bucks for a business license plus $55 bucks for name search if other than my own name/number. GST + PST numbers plus remit tax to gov. I'm thinking I could get a friend who runs an online store could help with the accounting stuff, to at least get me started. As I understand you can write off portions of your dwelling and gas and electric costs. There might be a minimum income required to do that thought. Still looking into it.

I don't think zoning is an issue because there are some boat prop repair guys that work out of their garages.

Starting a business is no easy task - business plan document, accounting, bills, insurance, liability insurance, quotes, CRM etc and thats even before you do any work.

I envy people who 'run their own show' and do well. Takes guts.

The plan for now is to work for beer. I work in the IT industry for a day job and make out ok. I love working with my hands and metal really appeals to me for some reason. Strength? Precision? dunno why. Just does.

I'm going to take some classes at the provincial college. They have a 2 times a week (3 hrs) for 11 weeks. They cover stick, mig, cutting, oxy/actet and a tig intro. Its only like 550 bucks. I'm sure I'd use close to that in consumables and course materials. Good old subsidized edumacation. Love it.

The trailers I fixed are only hand pull type. Something like a radio flyer on roids. Like this but not exact. http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200311443.htm

If I do build a trailer for highway it won't be till after the classes are done but I will post pics of every weld for review. Safety requirements are bizarre here. The province has guidelines - only concerning lights and a few other things.

You can in theory build a trailer made of wood, with no lights and wheelbarrow wheels get a vin number and insure it for use on public roads. $48/year. I've seen it. They did at least use treated lumber lol.

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Working...
                              X