400amp Quick Connector Lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400amp Quick Connector Lube?

Sometimes.. I find my 400amp quick connectors bind shut.. I need to pull back the rubber franger things and put some vice grips on them to unhook them..

They get hooked/unhooked a lot.. I have a TIG HF Unit, a 12VS Suitcase Wirefeeder and my Stick holder.. they all have quick connectors on them.. at least 1-2 times a day I'm changing betweeen MIG, TIG and stick.. its winter here, so sometimes my leads get a bit muddy as I drag them out.. I'm sure its the dirt thats probably causing them to bind.. I clean them up with a rag before I hook them up, but they're still binding occasionally..

I feel like I should whack some kinda lube on them.. but I'm not sure what.. any recommendations?
    Cheers,

Dunc.
    ------------
    Miller Bobcat 250(K)
    Miller HF-251-2 Box
    Miller 12VS Suitcase Wirefeeder
    Lincoln Procut 25 Plasma Cutter
    BOC Magmate 250 MIG Welder
    CIG 130 Amp AC Buzzbox.
    Makita Grinders
    Bosch GCO14 Chopsaw

Well, if you think it will help try petroleum jelly(vaseline).Its used on electrical connections to keep away corosion.
    2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1- Blue star 185
    1- BOBCAT 250
    1- TRAILBLAZER 302
    1- MILLER DVI
    2- PASSPORT PLUS
    1- DYNASTY 200 DX
    1- DYNASTY 280 DX
    1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1- HF-251 BOX
    1- S-74D
    1- S-75DXA
    2- 12-RC SUITCASES
    1- 8-VS SUITCASE
    2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Check your local electrical supply houses for silicone grease. It's used in high voltage connections. You'll still need to keep the dirt off the connections however.

Comment

Dielectric grease is what you need, however any type of "lubricant" is going to make the connections more succeptable to dirt buildup.

Sounds like you're going to have to make a more concerted effort to keep the cable ends clean.
        Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
        Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
        Hobart HH187
        Dialarc 250 AC/DC
        Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
        Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
        PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
        Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
        Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
        More grinders than hands

Comment

You DON'T want to grease those lugs with any thing, best just to buy some good quality lugs in the first place, instead of the more common chinese junk.

Comment

I haven't had any troubles ever with Tweco and Lenco connectors. But I had a set of cheapies that got fried in the first week.

I just keep them clean.
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
              Dielectric grease is what you need, however any type of "lubricant" is going to make the connections more succeptable to dirt buildup.
              That's what silicone grease is.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post

Sounds like you're going to have to make a more concerted effort to keep the cable ends clean.
                You make a good point.. keeping them cleaner it is then..

Thanks everyone.
                Cheers,

Dunc.
                ------------
                Miller Bobcat 250(K)
                Miller HF-251-2 Box
                Miller 12VS Suitcase Wirefeeder
                Lincoln Procut 25 Plasma Cutter
                BOC Magmate 250 MIG Welder
                CIG 130 Amp AC Buzzbox.
                Makita Grinders
                Bosch GCO14 Chopsaw

Comment

Of all the DINSE connectors on my various cables, only the E-Bay vendor/el cheapo variety bound up.. I used some emery cloth on the few that I have while sitting and watching TV. Now they work ok without lube.
                  Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
                  Miller S-22A wirefeeder
                  Bernard 400A "Q" gun
                  Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
                  CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
                  Hypertherm Powermax 30
                  O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Comment

Yup, I would be finish fitting them if it was an issue.

Comment

If you keep them nice and clean (emory will keep the male end bright, one of those wire brushes made to clean battery terminals/ends will keep the female end bright) then you can quickly adjust the drag on the connectors, use a hammer and close down the male end if it's too snug, drive a spacing tool (or small wedge or even a screwdriver) into the slot on the male end until the fit is nice and snug, but not too tight.
                      If they feel too hot under heavy use, it's time to clean the connecting surfaces, or tighten up the fit, or cut off a foot of lead and make a new lead to connecter connection with bright/clean lead.

JTMcC.
                      Last edited by JTMcC; 08-18-2008, 10:32 PM.
                      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                        If you keep them nice and clean (emory will keep the male end bright, one of those wire brushes made to clean battery terminals/ends will keep the female end bright) then you can quickly adjust the drag on the connectors, use a hammer and close down the male end if it's too snug, drive a spacing tool (or small wedge or even a screwdriver) into the slot on the male end until the fit is nice and snug, but not too tight.
                        If they feel too hot under heavy use, it's time to clean the connecting surfaces, or tighten up the fit, or cut off a foot of lead and make a new lead to connecter connection with bright/clean lead.

JTMcC.
                        Could not have said it better myself well done.
                        BB402D
                        TB300D
                        DIMENSION652
                        MM250X
                        MAXSTAR140
                        S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Working...
                        X