decisions decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decisions decisions

After countless hours of research and numerous posts Im finaly ready to order my new welder!

I've decided to go with the lincoln 225/125 ac/dc stick welder. Im ordering it from home cheapo depot due to my limited options of LWS.

I am however purchasing a new victor medium duty torch kit from red ball oxygen.(my LWS)

But before I get tied down to a specific welder I would like to know first what y'alls (yes im from texas) opinion is on the lincoln and would I be better off buying a hobart stickmate 235/135 ac/dc?

Thanks,
    Reed
    Miller Digital Elite inferno
    Miller MP-10 passive helmet
    Hobart Stickmate 250/160 ac/dc

Reed,

As stick machines go in that catagory, they both are ok. The reason I would pick the Hobart one is that it has a infinite amperage control where the Lincoln has taps that select a range of amperage. It would be easier to fine tune the Hobart to your welding speed and material thickness.

Good luck!

Andy

Comment

If I was buying a new machine in that class today it would be the Hobart, I like the adjustments better and its cheaper. In todays world I am tempted to up 300 more and go with a Maxstar though, dont need expensive leads, runs from 120v too.

Comment

What are you planning on doing with the stick welder (types of projects/thickness of materials)?
        Miller Maxstar 200 DX
        RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
        Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
        Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
        Hitachi 4.5" grinder
        http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

Friends dont let friends buy Lincoln.
          2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
          1- Blue star 185
          1- BOBCAT 250
          1- TRAILBLAZER 302
          1- MILLER DVI
          2- PASSPORT PLUS
          1- DYNASTY 200 DX
          1- DYNASTY 280 DX
          1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
          1- HF-251 BOX
          1- S-74D
          1- S-75DXA
          2- 12-RC SUITCASES
          1- 8-VS SUITCASE
          2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

LOL Fabricator!

tasslehawf I probably wont do anything bigger than a trailer for the mower or golf cart and nothing more than 1" (if I could even find any!) but manly just artsy stuf for my dads store and golf cart repair(I brahe a lot of steering arms)

Comment

That's just funny there Fab!

Comment

Try the Hobart

I have used the Lincoln and owned a Miller similar to the Stickmate. The Lincoln can get aggravating sometimes as one tap is too hot and the other is too cold. The Lincoln doesn't have much DC either. By the sound of your projects you might like 6013 for the thinner stuff. If you build a trailer or weld 3/16" thick or more you can try 6010 (DC) or 6011 (AC) for better penetration. 6010 is much harder to find at Hardware stores as they usually only carry AC compatable rods as their welders are mostly AC. 6010 has a much nicer arc than 6011 though. 6013 seems to have the widest selection of rod sizes though. 7018 is also available, but the steel needs to be clean and the rods need to be kept sealed when not in use.
                Last edited by deafman; 08-02-2008, 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

These sort if of projects all sound like good candidates for a mig (or even tig if you wanted to go that direction). Save for the trailer work and 1" think material.

But hey I'm not much of a stick guy either so..
                  Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                  RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
                  Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                  Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
                  Hitachi 4.5" grinder
                  http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

I'm not familiar with either of the machines but if one is infinatly adjustable I'd go with it. Taps are a paiin.

Comment

Go with the Hobart Stickmate, I've got one and love it as it has been very easy to use on every project I've needed it for. It just seems more user friendly probably because of the adjustability of this critter!!!

Comment

thanks guys for all the info!
                        You've effectively changed my mind to getting the stickmate!

this is a great forum and you've helped so many people acheive thier goals. you should be proud of the work you do.

Thanks again,
                        Reed

Comment

Those small Lincolns you get at your local Home depot and such that say "Lincoln" on them are not actually made by Lincoln. The quality control is just not there.

Comment

Working...
                          X