Welding Cable Lead Size???????? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Cable Lead Size???????? Help

I have a bobcat 225 nt w/ no cables. I was wanting to put 50 feet of each. I would like to know if 2/0 gauge is big enough to do medium welding? Any help is appreciated.

The cable size is determined by amperage and length of lead. I would get cables to handle the max output of the welder but if you know you will never run that high then I guess it could save some $ to downsize. There is charts that should not be hard to find if you google it but I'm sure you're LWS has the chart handy. If you plan to by off the internet from a welding supply, they probably have the chart listed with the cable.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

You will have no trouble at all with #2 cable, much smaller and cheaper than 2/0. weldersales

Comment

I agree, 2/0 is overkill for that machine especially for light general work. For giggles download the owners manual, its in there.

Comment

i have the same machine and i use 1/0 cable. i have about 75 feet for both cables. you should prepare to use your machine for anything that comes along. someday you may need to use it for something heavy. nice machine by the way.

Comment

According to Miller's own chart, #1 would be sufficient for 100 feet
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
              If you plan to by off the internet from a welding supply, they probably have the chart listed with the cable.
              This welding supply lists the chart.
              https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...F:OR:304-1170R
              To all who contribute to this board.
              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Think 1/0 would be sufficient for any application you have in mind for your bobus

Comment

Yes, 1/0 would be plenty and I would be tempted to add another 25 ft of lighter cable to the whip end. It would cost less, 50 ft might be plenty for ground but 50 is too short by a pinch for electrode holder. Also the small is going to be easier to drag around and cheaper to replace when worn.

Comment

Cables

If you go with 2/O, you will be fine. If you go with #2 and want to go further than 50', you won't. Go big if you can afford it. Sometimes the work is further away than you can get to! Trust me, it happens.
                    Millermatic 210
                    Syncrowave 200
                    Spectrum 625 X-treme
                    Hobart Champion 16 W/
                    Miller 8VS Suitcase
                    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                    Tons of Tools
                    Microwave
                    Laptop and Printer
                    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

Working...
                    X