220 power 3-Phase welder, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220 power 3-Phase welder, now what?

Ok here’s my dilemma I just picked up a Miller CP-300 at auction for a price I couldn’t pass up. The problem its for my home shop and I don’t currently have 3-phase. I need suggestions of options and the best route to go whether it be a phase converter, selling it to turn a profit and get something that fits my capabilities, or is there any conversion that can be done. I paid $225 for the welder and it’s in good condition. Help guys, first time posting.
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    MIller CP 300 w/S22-A Feeder
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Horizontal/ Verticle Bandsaw
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw
    Single Stage 60 Gallon Compressor
    Delta Drill Press

"No fear to learn by doing", and a degree in Redneck Engineering

I would search for "phase converters" on the internet and ebay if you want to use it and not sell it.

Comment

If you can score a large enough idle motor cheap, rotary converters are relatively easy to build. There is no conversion method for that machine. It's 3-phase or nothing. The good part is at 230V, it only wants 33 amps for rated output. A 7.5 horse idle motor should be able to do that for ya.

There are plenty of schematics on the net. If you like that machine, poke around a bit and see what you can find. Might be worth it. The machine will outlast your grandkids!

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I go the other way, if you could get something for it the thing would be ideal for someone that had the power to run it, I would be tempted to see how much someone would be willing to pay, what gun and feeder came with it? If any? That might be a factor but for me I don't want to fool with converters, I want something that runs from common 50A or less service, plug and play.

Comment

I could and should have a converter but just dont want to mess with it unless I absolutely had to, just one more headache and piece of equipment.

Comment

220 power 3-Phase welder, now what?

Is there a feeder with the CP300? The easiest solution might be to send the CP300 to someone who needs it and have him send you a single phase power supply compatible with the feeder unless freight makes that unreasonable. If you like, send pics and PM. weldersales

Comment

Not sure of your location, but you might be close to a electrical substation or 3 phase line & could actually get 3 phase service at an affordable install....? What I'm saying that it's worth a 5 minute phone call to your local utility provider & ask..... probably a joke, but start simply. I knew I couldn't, but my dad lucked out.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the responses.

Hankj: I came across the phase converter plans yesterday and think if I can find a cheap enough motor I might try that option I am kinda leery about messing with the whole thing, hate to incinerate mine and pops workshops because I didn’t wanna drop a few bucks.

Sberry: I’m with ya the fact that it’s just sitting there all lonely and unused is killin me ha!

Weldersales: Yes it also came with a feeder the S-22A. Not a bad idea as far as looking for a trade out (for maaaybe a plasma cutter.) I actually have a call into a buddy in Cali who fabricates Sand Cars to see if he has a need for it. As far as the pics I’ll snap a few when I get home and muttle through getting them on here.

I also went down to my local welding shop to fish around for answers last night and their best suggestion was to call Miller and see what they said. Well best suggestion other than the 80 yr old man who told me to quit [email protected]##in and shut the F*#k up because it was a really good deal and if I had to drop 5 bills on a converter it was still a good deal. So yeah I think he was joking, ha! Thanks again guys!
                Last edited by SinGear; 07-25-2008, 05:41 AM. Reason: The spacing was messed up it didn't look right
                MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
                MIller CP 300 w/S22-A Feeder
                Miller Syncro 200
                Miller 375 X Plasma
                Miller Elite Hood
                JD2 Bender
                Tube Notcher
                Horizontal/ Verticle Bandsaw
                Makita Angle Grinders
                Arsenal of handtools
                Evolution Raptor dry saw
                Single Stage 60 Gallon Compressor
                Delta Drill Press

"No fear to learn by doing", and a degree in Redneck Engineering

Comment

Working...
                X