Band Saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band Saw?

I need a compact hor. band saw for the home shop, mostly cutting stainless tubing up to 4" round and square. This Jet machine seems like a good fit and I'm considering it.

The Kama EV90 also sounds interesting. Would be giving up some capacity and power downfeed for smaller footprint and (from what I have heard) higher precision than most saws, but also more $$$.

Anyone have experience with either of these? Other recommendations welcome.

I have used many jet saws common feature is non repeatability of cuts.

I have the Ellis 1600

Comment

That's what I was afraid of with the Jet.

I have used several different Ellis saws, they're nice and pretty repeatable. All of them have a lot more capacity than I need though... and are a lot more $$$.

The Kama sounds like a winner but I have never used or even seen one in person. I would just throw the cash down for one if it wasn't for the high price tag on such a small saw.

Comment

Considering what I had to pay for a Jet 56HVBS (5" x 6" - $250 when I bought mine) it is a good saw. Properly adjusted, with the band tighter than piano wire, and a tender touch on the bow, repeatability is achievable. You just ain't gonna get a production saw for that low of a price!

Hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
        Handler 210 w/DP3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I have used the little kama and the accuracy is just not there. I can't get a strait cut on 3/4 x 3/4 x 16ga. tubing so there ya go. The jet is probably your best bet. But the larger the blade you can use the better. If you could (and I would if I could, but I can't) I would get the full size kama saw from shop outfitters.
          Miller Maxstar 200 DX
          RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
          Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
          Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
          Hitachi 4.5" grinder
          http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

Tasselhawf

Thanks for the info on the Kama. It's interesting because they claim that the AD105 is as accurate, and built on the same platform as the bigger heavy one, and it's the smallest in the lineup, I would have imagined that the middle of the line models would be too, but sounds like that's more marketing than anything.

I'm looking at a couple of different Jet saws right now. Anything under $1000 fits the budget so I have a few options.

Comment

My friend has both the big kama and littlest. I know the big one is one of the most accuarate saws on the market (likely THE most accurate bandsaw for $3k or less), but the little one is disappointing.

I have a dry Porter Cable dry cut and even though it's very loud, I am sticking with it until I can afford the big kama.
              Miller Maxstar 200 DX
              Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
              Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

Try this group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4x6ban...yguid=92704712

I have learned a lot from them. My 15 year old HF still cuts pretty straight.
                sigpic
                God’s Wheels Motorcycle Ministry

304XMT cc/cv
                For sale Best Offer
                SOLDThank You
                Syncrowave 250
                MM 250
                Spoolmatic 30V
                MSW-41

O/A Victor Large

Comment

i just bought the grizzly g0613 its great
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BC Iron works View Post
                    i just bought the grizzly g0613 its great
                    I was looking at this one as it is half the price of the kama, but decided since I know how good the kama is, I didn't know how accurate this saw would be.

Also isn't there something funny about it like that it's not variable speed?
                    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                    Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

I think I'm going to go with the small Jet and invest the left over budget cash into some other tools. A buddy of mine has that model. He made a simple mod to the blade guide since then he's been happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X