Modified MillerElite Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified MillerElite Hood

Saw this on E-bay and though it looked like a good idea. Of course I would never pay that crazy price, but sure looks like a good idea, and easy to make. And no I'm not the seller or even know the seller. Just to make that disclaimer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Brand-New...3286.m14.l1318

James
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

The fans seem like a good idea in theory, but the reality is that I appreciate how my hood blocks the fumes from what I've got my nose up against. Blowing it right into my eyes wouldn't be an improvement.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

I like the I-pod holder and player. I'm cheap so a MP3 player would do me. And have the fans sucking out so I stop smelling coffee breath. And one in the back to give fresh air. Just throwing out ideas. I'm sure some one else has done some killer modding to their hood. Just trying to spark new conversation.

James
      20Ton press
      www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

That is Ghetto! increase your risk of cancer, and get a neck ache all at the same time!! If i wanted an i pod i would put it on my belt along with the battery pack for the fans. If they had a filter on the fans and a belt clip battery i might be interested.
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Millermatic 175
        Spectrum 375
        All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

If I want portable sound, I just use my blue tooth stereo headphones playing off my cell phone's mp3 player (samsung A707). No wires and no added weight to my hood.

The plantronics head phones were less than an ipod, and I only spent $10 on the 2GB microSD card that holds a few hours of tunes in the phone.
          Syncrowave 250DX
          Invison 354MP
          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
          Smith O/A rig

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
            If I want portable sound, I just use my blue tooth stereo headphones playing off my cell phone's mp3 player (samsung A707). No wires and no added weight to my hood.

The plantronics head phones were less than an ipod, and I only spent $10 on the 2GB microSD card that holds a few hours of tunes in the phone.
            Great Idea. Go wireless. I have a 2gig micro SD card in my phone. Now to down load some songs and buy a wireless headphone. Which one do you recommend? Bluetooth is $$$ !

James
            20Ton press
            www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

I have the plantronics P590's. They're just as stout as the commercial headsets they sell. Great sound quality too. The only issue I have is that they're a little tight so extended periods can leave you with sore ears (but they don't fall off either). Typically, I'd prefer a circumaural phone, but that's due to my sound engineering background - so that could have a lot to do with my dislike of their comfort.

The nice thing about the p590's is that it comes with a transmitter you can plug into any mini phone jack (or adapter for a 1/4" jack). So anything that puts out sound can be broadcast to the headphones. The adapter is about 1.5" OD by maybe 1/2" thick, so you can stick it on an mp3 player just the same if you wanted to use them with another music source (like the shop computer).

I really only wear mine while I'm doing yard work, since I have a big stereo in the shop (fed mp3's via the computer) They'll pick up a signal from the tiny transmitter for a good 100' as long as the obstacle isn't too thick (they won't transmit through my 18" maples). I'm starting machining classes in another 6 weeks or so, so I'm thinking I might be getting more use out of them this fall.

If you're listening to something via the transmitter, it'll beep you over to a phone call too. Pretty sweet technology.
              Syncrowave 250DX
              Invison 354MP
              XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
              Smith O/A rig

Comment

since i work in a 1 man shop i can crank the tunes or talk raido as loud as i would want. but the idea of having fans blowing on my face sounds good, as it is darn hot in my shop in the summer 100 to 107 normaly (hate the Heat) now if there were someway to block the fumes? humm

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                  since i work in a 1 man shop i can crank the tunes or talk raido as loud as i would want. but the idea of having fans blowing on my face sounds good, as it is darn hot in my shop in the summer 100 to 107 normaly (hate the Heat) now if there were someway to block the fumes? humm
                  I think if the fans sucked the air out of the helmet it would provide you with some nice cool air. (well nice as long as it didn't pull to many fumes in the back side and maybe the air wouldn't be all that cool either!)

Lots of guys in our shop set a fan on their table (when welding smaller stuff) that sucks the fumes away. Works pretty good, amazing how fast a white fan turns black!
                  at home:
                  2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                  2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                  2008 Suitcase 12RC
                  Spoolmatic 30A
                  WC-24
                  2009 Dynasty 200DX
                  2000 XMT 304
                  2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                  Sold:MM130XP
                  Sold:MM 251
                  Sold:CST 280

at work:
                  Invision 350MP
                  Dynasty 350
                  Millermatic 350P
                  Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

I like the idea of the fans pulling air out of hood. It should draw fresh air from the back of the hood and cause a cooling effect from the air circulating around in the hood. And the fan sucking the fumes away from the work piece is a good idea. Thanks for the ideas.

James
                    20Ton press
                    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

the tunes would be cool 100 ft up
                      Miller Bobcat 250
                      Victor O/A
                      Chop Saw
                      Porta-band
                      grinders
                      hand tools

Comment

Sheesh. For $700, I could make money designing and selling units like these. And A LOT better looking.
                        Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                        RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
                        Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                        Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
                        Hitachi 4.5" grinder
                        http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

Too Much!

Way too much money for most of us....
                          sigpic

Miller 140 w A/S
                          HF 90 Amp Flux Core
                          Dewalt Chop Saw
                          Smith O/A Torch
                          Ryobi, HF grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classic

Comment

You can mount the fan inside the helment so it recurculates air inside he helmet and there is no risk of sparks coming in from the outside of the helmet.
                            This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

Comment

Working...
                            X