No announcement yet.

Welding certs-journymen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what industry are u chasing again? the specialty tools u might need are different for the different industries.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Comment

Originally posted by safetydave View Post
      Hi arc basically with the Bobcat 225 that I have like I said the guy bought it new in 99-2000 with 25' leads and thats about it so I want to know what extras will still work with this unit compared to the new units.

And as for truck tools I have alot from when I worked in the refrigeration trade for a company out of Iowa, I was just seeing what the other guys might have that I didn't or would use just for repairs at this time to get my feet in the water then I would adjust my work to what was needed most in the area which by the way I'm finding out that the weld shops around here really don't like to do on-site work so they charge alot of $$$ just so they don't have to drag there equipment out to go(to bad for them, but lucky for me$$$)
      I have a shop full of tools and load the truck for each job.

If I am welding in a building that is occupied I have a set of leads and extension cords that I only use in clean environments.

For working in restaurant kitchens I have a different set of tools, tools that catch and contain all dust and debris as well as welding blankets and such that are non fraying.

Do this long enough and diversify and you will have a shop full of stuff as well.

As far as attachments to the Bobcat... leads stinger and ground clamp what more do you want. Too underpowered for a LN-25 pushing real wire [5/64"]. (been their done that) If you want portable GTAW get a Dynasty200 DX and some extension cord.

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by arc View Post
        as for the truck alli have is a mental list right now.

welder (of course)
        cables and stinger and ground clamp
        rod
        rod oven
        roller stands or just some stands
        grinders
        grinder disks (cutting, 1/8 and 1/4 and some alum ones also)
        i have high frequ. arc starter box for alum tig
        a suit case welder like a 12vs or 8vs
        torch and hose for the torch
        vise grips ( normal and c type
        various hand tools and any thing else u think u might need.

lots of different thing u will need but depends on the type of work u plan on doing. tell us what u are going to welding and in what industry and we can narrow down what u will need for your truck.
        Hi arc, hows things in your neck of the woods?

I have some of the same stuff as you
        weldor(me)
        welder(mach)
        vise clamps
        hognose saws
        sawzall
        chop saw
        porta-band saw
        torches & extra hoses
        porta-vise(back of truck)
        craftsman/s & k hand tools
        pipe clamps&stands
        several grinders-4 1/4" & 7"
        air compressor
        bench grinder(porta)
        rods(no rod box yet)

just to name a few.
        Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
        RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
        Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
        Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
        DeWalt chop saw-(home)
        Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
        Lincoln 225 arc welder
        Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
        assortment bar clamps

Comment

Originally posted by arc View Post
          what industry are u chasing again? the specialty tools u might need are different for the different industries.
          I would be doing a little bit of everything such as farm stuff,trailer repairs,construction equip,odds and ends for the amish.

I quess it wouldn't be any certain one if thats what your wanting to know?
          but it might change depending on what the biggest demand is once I get going.

Like I said before I've done a variety of stuff with in the welding trade so I would have to see what really peacks my interest other then doing custom stuff(hhmm) come to think of it, but for around were I'm at mostly repairs and small fab jobs.
          DeWalt chop saw-(home)
          Lincoln 225 arc welder
          assortment bar clamps

Comment

I have a 225, torch, etc., and I´ve mainly been doing truck frame and body repair. For that a 20 ton jack, some drops of heavy lumber, and a good 3/4" gun with an air compressor will get you a long way. My problem right now is that the economy is sitting on its ear, and nobody can really afford expensive repairs (most of my work is for owner/operators). I have a full time job as backup. Keep in mind, working for yourself doesn´t pay benefits, days of, and most important-insurance (I have 3 kids). Taxes are insane if you don´t incorporate, also.

As far as certs go, my employer paid for all of mine. Most of the work I do is repair, so they covered several for me. If you can weld by the book, they are no problem. I am in your boat, I´ve only been welding 6 years, no school. Just studied my *** off and paid really close attention to some good mentors at my first job.

In my opinion, tool up and take any work you can get on the side, but keep looking for a permanent position someplace. If someone asks for certs, I think they should foot the bill if your resume is as good as you say it is. Good luck, and happy hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by crzdriver View Post
              I have a 225, torch, etc., and I´ve mainly been doing truck frame and body repair. For that a 20 ton jack, some drops of heavy lumber, and a good 3/4" gun with an air compressor will get you a long way. My problem right now is that the economy is sitting on its ear, and nobody can really afford expensive repairs (most of my work is for owner/operators). I have a full time job as backup. Keep in mind, working for yourself doesn´t pay benefits, days of, and most important-insurance (I have 3 kids). Taxes are insane if you don´t incorporate, also.

As far as certs go, my employer paid for all of mine. Most of the work I do is repair, so they covered several for me. If you can weld by the book, they are no problem. I am in your boat, I´ve only been welding 6 years, no school. Just studied my *** off and paid really close attention to some good mentors at my first job.

In my opinion, tool up and take any work you can get on the side, but keep looking for a permanent position someplace. If someone asks for certs, I think they should foot the bill if your resume is as good as you say it is. Good luck, and happy hunting!
              Got ya driver I have always said if I can make the same or with in a couple of dollars to what I make working my butt of for some company then why can't I do this from home and make more for me? (WE HAVE 5 KIDS AND 1 MORE DUE IN NOVEMBER) thats fun stuff for me(ha,ha,ha) but really I not worried about not getting any work, the people I have talked to said they would use me before the others because of my work and ATTITUDE which seems to be not working for the others in the area.

As for insurence I haven't had any in 7yrs or our family either and not because I can't afford it we just don't need it we don't get sick and if we do my wife treats us for what ever is wrong with us. accept for broken bones and seriuos stuff then we go to the hospital.
              DeWalt chop saw-(home)
              Lincoln 225 arc welder
              assortment bar clamps

Comment

What do they put in your drinking water?!!!

That´s really cool, though. That attitude thing goes a LONG way. So does pride in your work. I trust you will do well, and again, good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X