Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding certs-journymen

Hey guys, I need some advice about a couple of things so here goes,

(1)I have 15-20yrs welding all phase, self taught-trail and error way now I am looking for a new job do to getting laid off and some of the companys want to know if I have any certs(NO I DO NOT) So should I take the test for them or not and keep pluggin away like I have been?

(2)What ones would be good to start with and improve from there?

(3)Should I do them online or go to the schools closest to my home which is in southern Michigan-Indiana stateline?

(4)I think I have alot of knowledge for learning on my own but I've never been really tested on what I know to see where I'm at in skill levels according to AWS standards other then a couple of places I have worked at I was listed as a (class-A-1-Welder) but haven't paid much attention to that in years to worry about until now.

What do you guys think and what would you do in this matter?

Thanks for your input
    Safetydave.
    Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
    RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
    Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
    Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
    DeWalt chop saw-(home)
    Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
    Lincoln 225 arc welder
    Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
    assortment bar clamps

What to do

SafetyDave,
    I would find the closest tech. school or Community college that has welding and explaine the situation to the instructors. I would ask them if I can take the test. They should charge a couple bucks for it and see if you can qualify for the " certification" that they offer a student. They may want you to take the class and if so do it, all you can get is more information.

The companies who are asking if you are certified have the legal responsibility established by the codes to verify it or test you themselves. Often a guy can certify at the Union and have that accepted by companies who "recognize" the level of testing. You can also test at one of the AWS certification labs (companies who comply with AWS certification procedures and are recognized by AWS).

The bottom line is they are using the question to establish a baseline or sometimes a filter in the hiring process to select people who understand what the testing process is about. If you have done it before then matbe you have a higher potential to do it again and pass theirs.

If a company does not have a testing process then in my opinion they are taking a huge legal risk and bringing you along for the ride.

Comment

What kind of work would you be doing at this new company?

i.e. structural, pipe? repair or new fabrication, what materials? What process SMAW GTAW GMAW FCAW What process do you have proficiency with?

All this would help to answer this question.

If you can read you can self certify using AWS D1.1 book sells for $300+

http://deltaschooloftrades.com/certification.htm

TJ

Comment

Start your search here at this link, call the listed agencies for info.
        http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...16_78896_7.pdf
        hope this helps.
        WELDCKR
        Miller XMT 350
        Miller Spectrum 3080
        Hobart Beta-Mig
        Lincoln Square wave 175
        Victor Jouneyman
        Whole bunch of Dewalt stuff

Comment

Ask what test they want, welding is one of those great trades sometimes,, you can have 5 minutes experience but if you can run the plate you are a welder.

Comment

welding cert-journyman

Hey everbody! sorry its been so long to reply.

Ok here is the latest on this issue with the weld certs.

I looked at AWS to get some more info and also found some testing site pretty close to home, but the thing is $$$ its around 200-500$ per test and depending on what I would want to be certified in first, also the companys that ask me about beeing certified are the same companys that I have done work for in the past years with enclosed trailers or pressureized vessals(sp)
            so the only one that would require me to be cert would be for the vessals
            and they were the ones who qualified me as beeing a (class-A-1-welder)
            and they have not change there welding process as far as I know.

The welding in the trailer companys would be anything from.40-3/8" thickness and if they were so big on someone being certified then they would not be getting very much welding doen because of the welders they hire

So if this give you some insight as to what shouold I or would you do in this case plsease let me know.
            DeWalt chop saw-(home)
            Lincoln 225 arc welder
            assortment bar clamps

Comment

porto-welding offer

I have posted on different things before and you guys have given some good responce to it so I have another one for you to think about.

I have been laid off becuase of lack off work (so they say) but any way
              I have a friend who has a Bobcat 225 (nt)? that he bought in 1999-2000
              just to power there house during outages with only 29hrs on it. And we were
              talking about some things he wants welded and so forth and said I could use his machine to do it (SO COOL) then he said to me since I was off work and wanted to make some extra $$$$ as if I don't have enough stuff going on with the work I have been doing at home I could use his machine as long as I wanted to and just pay him a percentage of the money I get.

So now we are talking about setting up a on-site welding company, keep in mind I already do welding at home and have a pretty good thing going also my wife and I have a internet bussiness going that gives us about 500$$
              a week in sale, now he wants to set up an on site welding repair company (which is what I have wanted to do for a long time but haven't because of the money issues) NOT ENOUGH OF IT TO DO IT!

So shoot me your thoughts and ideas about it and what would you do
              and I will respond quicker then the last post.

Thanks
              Safetydave
              DeWalt chop saw-(home)
              Lincoln 225 arc welder
              assortment bar clamps

Comment

welding certs-journymen

I forgot on this deal with the on site welding my buddy wants me to do
                what would be some ideas for putting on the truck or trailer in regards to the bigger tools that I would need? I know alot of the stuff I need already but want your guys opinion to see if you would use some thing different and why you found it usefull to the jobs you do.
                DeWalt chop saw-(home)
                Lincoln 225 arc welder
                assortment bar clamps

Comment

hi safety dave im sure you are a good welder but, there is a reason they have jouneyman tickets. i would suggest going through the process the right way and go to school and get certified by a local collage. then any type of project or work u line up wont be a problem. thats just my 2 cents but as i said the program is there for a reason not just for the young ones to learn but for all of us to learn the correct way to go about things.
                  trail blazer 302
                  hypertherm plasma
                  millermatic 251
                  high feq. arc starter
                  suit case (extreme 12vs)
                  o/a torches
                  way to many other tools to list

Comment

Originally posted by arc View Post
                    hi safety dave im sure you are a good welder but, there is a reason they have jouneyman tickets. i would suggest going through the process the right way and go to school and get certified by a local collage. then any type of project or work u line up wont be a problem. thats just my 2 cents but as i said the program is there for a reason not just for the young ones to learn but for all of us to learn the correct way to go about things.
                    Hi arc.
                    I understand your piont of the certs but at this time (1)MONEY and (2)TIME
                    as I posted previously that I'm doing welding at home on the side a couple of days per week and also our family has an internet e-bay shop wich is very busy right now, which I do the shipping and inventory for it.

So right now is kind of busy at home not to menchen I have a buddy who said I could use his Bobcat 225 for any side on-site work if I needed or if I want to start one myself.

Ihad said for some time now that I would start my own weld shop(small) at home if I had the stuff to do it with I'm just now getting this going after putting up with the corparite crapp for over 20yrs.

As for the testing part I'm not afraid of it at all I would enjoy the CHALLENGE of it. I'll keep looking into it and who knows I get them(WELDING CERTS).

Now what about the welding rig issue? and equipment
                    DeWalt chop saw-(home)
                    Lincoln 225 arc welder
                    assortment bar clamps

Comment

Certs can be a funny thing, I have been just simply asked, are you certified? I used to say, I have certified many times, seemed to satisfy a lot of people, even used my layoff papers once from a power plant, they test us again anyway but they just wanted to know if they were wasting their time up front.
                      I would say if you can pass inspections on pressure vessel my answer would be I am certifiable, where is the test? I never did carry any the employer didnt spring for.

Comment

as for the truck alli have is a mental list right now.

welder (of course)
                        cables and stinger and ground clamp
                        rod
                        rod oven
                        roller stands or just some stands
                        grinders
                        grinder disks (cutting, 1/8 and 1/4 and some alum ones also)
                        i have high frequ. arc starter box for alum tig
                        a suit case welder like a 12vs or 8vs
                        torch and hose for the torch
                        vise grips ( normal and c type
                        various hand tools and any thing else u think u might need.

lots of different thing u will need but depends on the type of work u plan on doing. tell us what u are going to welding and in what industry and we can narrow down what u will need for your truck.
                        trail blazer 302
                        hypertherm plasma
                        millermatic 251
                        high feq. arc starter
                        suit case (extreme 12vs)
                        o/a torches
                        way to many other tools to list

Comment

Dave, did you get my e-mail?
                          "smokin' joints for 19 yrs."

A.A.S. Weld Tech.

AWS CWI 08011711

Comment

Originally posted by arrowside View Post
                            Dave, did you get my e-mail?
                            yep I got your e-mail I'm just late at getting to reply 10:55 p.m. on Sunday night.
                            DeWalt chop saw-(home)
                            Lincoln 225 arc welder
                            assortment bar clamps

Comment

Originally posted by arc View Post
                              as for the truck alli have is a mental list right now.

welder (of course)
                              cables and stinger and ground clamp
                              rod
                              rod oven
                              roller stands or just some stands
                              grinders
                              grinder disks (cutting, 1/8 and 1/4 and some alum ones also)
                              i have high frequ. arc starter box for alum tig
                              a suit case welder like a 12vs or 8vs
                              torch and hose for the torch
                              vise grips ( normal and c type
                              various hand tools and any thing else u think u might need.

lots of different thing u will need but depends on the type of work u plan on doing. tell us what u are going to welding and in what industry and we can narrow down what u will need for your truck.
                              Hi arc basically with the Bobcat 225 that I have like I said the guy bought it new in 99-2000 with 25' leads and thats about it so I want to know what extras will still work with this unit compared to the new units.

And as for truck tools I have alot from when I worked in the refrigeration trade for a company out of Iowa, I was just seeing what the other guys might have that I didn't or would use just for repairs at this time to get my feet in the water then I would adjust my work to what was needed most in the area which by the way I'm finding out that the weld shops around here really don't like to do on-site work so they charge alot of $$$ just so they don't have to drag there equipment out to go(to bad for them, but lucky for me$$$)
                              Last edited by safetydave; 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
                              DeWalt chop saw-(home)
                              Lincoln 225 arc welder
                              assortment bar clamps

Comment

Working...
                              X