Miller's new Tig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big_Eddy View Post
    If you check the original site again - you will note that the suggested applications have been changed to more appropriate topics for a hobbyist. Kudoes again to Miller for listening.

So here is my question (theoretical) to the board.

I'm a hobby welder - I have 2 years playing at it - I weld to fix things, for fun, and to make useful things for the yard, house, my tractors. I have a lot more friends now that I can weld. I have never welded Aluminium so far - but I could want to in the future (or one of my "new" friends might want me to.)

Assuming the Diversion 165 plus comes out with stick at ~$1600, which TIG unit would I be better buying? A Maxstar 150STH or a Diversion 165+.?

Maxstar is DC only, weighs 13 pounds, has pulse but no remote included at that price.
    Diversion is AC/DC, weighs 50 pounds, comes with fingertip torch control, book and DVD.
    Both have ~ same output range, Maxstar has slight lead on duty cycle, both have HF and are similar in other performance.

For Comparison - the other AC capable options are the Econotig at $1900 list, Synchrowave 200 at $2800 and the Dynasty SD at ~$3400.

This is a theoretical question, as I have a Maxstar150 plus a HH210, but if I hadn't bought my Maxstar last year, I'm interested what would be suggested now.
    The Diversion hands down. Who cares about the weight; 50lbs is nothing? Being able to do AL is a big plus in my book. The econotig will be replaced by the Diversion. The Synro200 cost more use then a Inverter based machine. In Maryland electricity just went up 80%. So that changes everything when you think about the cost to weld.The Dynasty 200SD in expensive compared to the Diversion but a much nice machine. Sell the HH210 and get the Passport Plus or the MM212 if you want to have your mig gun and spool gun always connected to the machine. Both mig machines lay down nice beads.

I think the stick option would get use more by a novice because it is a lot easier to pick up a stinger and through down something that resembles a weld then to take the time to learn TIG and make something pretty. Just looking at this objectively. I am a perfectionist and will not accept failure. So I have better mind set then Johnny Homeowner that needs to hurry up cause his little rug rats are running around in the back yard and the wife is screaming,"It's your TURN to deal with them." Just saying hypothetically. Hope that made you laugh or at least snicker.

James
    Last edited by StillBoostin; 07-04-2008, 11:08 AM.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

• Johnny Homeowner that needs to hurry up cause his little rug rats are running around in the back yard and the wife is screaming,"It's your TURN to deal with them."

you been spying on me ???
      oh wait, i just saw this part .Just saying hypothetically............i'll still be watching for ya in the hedge row.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

• More Books and DVD's available

Good morning,

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend! I just wanted to let you know that we have had 35 people complete the welding preferences survey so far and we will be sending out the TIG Welding for Dummies book and Diversion 165 "Set-up and Operation" DVD out to them today. They should expect to see it in the mail later this week. I'd also be very interested in hearing your thoughts once you have a chance to review them.

As I mentioned before, we will be giving out the book and DVD to the first 300 people who complete the survey, so this means there are 265 more opportunites left. Here's the link again in case you missed it:
        http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...t_2bzDlw_3d_3d
        Just as a note, the survey needs to be completely filled out in order to recive the book and DVD.

Thanks again everyone
        John Swartz
        Miller Electric Mfg., Co.

[email protected]

Comment

• I realize that this is for a multiprocess machine but take a look, watch the videos and share your comments
          http://www.millerwelds.com/education...rticle125.html

Comment

• John,

Noob here. Wanted to weigh in and thank you. I'm 53, airline pilot, guitar player, wood hobbyist. Which is to say I'm a professional, a perfectionist, obsessed with safety, good hand-eye coordination, attention to detail....and just wants to learn welding....COOL, INTERESTING, welding....TIG. ...and try to do some pretty stuff.

I came onboard here a while back and asked a lot of questions. Great folks here, got a lot of good replies.

You know what intimidated me? I can afford the more expensive stuff. Dynasty 200DX. But you look around more and learn, well, the house doesn't have 230 and THAT is gonna cost me an arm and a leg. My desired workspace is a fire hazard...I gotta clean a spot out, put up barriers. So this is REALLY gonna cost me a lot more... yadda yadda yadda. I gave up.

Then I saw this thread that began by sorta mostly bashing the Diversion. HeII , I *GOT* the diversion right away. You were talking to me with that thing, Buddy.

You came on here. Standup guy. And 'splained things in a very professional manner. That, to me, was another point for Big Blue.

So I saw the price. I saw your professionalism, and explanation. And I started calling welding schools. Found a tech college locally, and I like the guy who runs the place. Looking at maybe fall registration.

Time will tell if I pull the trigger. But this put welding back in my 'scan' again.

THANK YOU for having baIIs, and being a gentleman.

If I never buy ONE piece of welding gear, I'm still gonna stow away in the back my noggin how your professionalism and approach taught me yet another lesson on how to be a better professional at what I do each time I interact with the flying public. There are times when I'm the only guy who can stand up and tell them what they don't care to hear. And how I bring that message to them can often dictate whether they are happier, angrier, and/or think I'm a Total Retard.

I'd be honored to shake your hand, thank you personally, and recommend that your boss give you a raise and a promotion. *smiles*
            Last edited by Perry; 07-11-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• I thought we lost ya Perry

Ed Conley
              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
              MM252
              MM211
              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

• I just got the DVD and Book. Here are some pics.

James
                20Ton press
                www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

• Just watched the DVD. It is pretty good. I've bought HTP's DVD and Weld Pro's DVD and this one I can tell some goos money was put into it for production. John in the How to Weld section: you should take more time on the protective gear. Show and say you are welding on a steel table and placing your palms on the side of the table to stabilize your hand. Show the right way to weld as you did and what to do if if you touch the filler metal to the tungsten. Nice diamond wheel on the grinder. You show how to sharpen the tungsten, but not which one Miller suggests to be used with this machine on each metal. Good weld prep; I liked that, and it should help a new tig weldor.

James
                  Last edited by StillBoostin; 07-17-2008, 08:36 PM.
                  20Ton press
                  www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

• Just got mine too.

I'll watch it later.
                    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
                    Diversion 180
                    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
                    Portable Victor O/A
                    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
                    14" Evolution Dry Saw
                    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
                    Speedglas 9100x
                    My Brain

Comment

• New TIG advertised for $1299

The LWS (Barnes Welding) has a special on the new Diversion. This is less than I ever saw the Econotig sell for. The Econotig didn't interest me because of its weight and low output/duty cycle on stick. Now this machine doesn't excite me because of its lack stick output. I'm hoping they might sell the old Econotigs for half price, but don't think they will.

Comment

• Originally posted by diamondback View Post
                        I realize that this is for a multiprocess machine but take a look, watch the videos and share your comments
                        http://www.millerwelds.com/education...rticle125.html
                        Great videos. Miller can make some good vids. I don't understand why they haven't made a TIG welding DVD. After watching the Diversion DVD I know they could make a inveter based and a transformer based machine DVD. Everyone sells the Ron Covell's DVD why not step it up and make a DVD. HTP makes a good dvd that pushes their TIG machines, and it is very impressive both the DVD and machine. They sell the DVD for $30 and if you buy the machine you get your money back or it comes with a purchase of the new machine. Might sell more machines if this was available. If I remember correctly Andy said he was thinking of making a DVD.

James
                        20Ton press
                        www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

• I just received the book and DVD. The book is right for the target audience. I like that it does not say “read this book and you can build anything” it is a good introduction to TIG. The DVD shows TIG in action, makes me want to go out and TIG something. Anyway like I said on the survey, add stick, 110v input and you have a sale. I currently use an old econotig, I mostly work on light gauge stuff so it works for me. Being limited to 160 amps is not a problem. The only problem with the econotig is the weight, not what I would call portable. The diversion solves that. I am saving for the Dynasty but might jump on the diversion if it gets stick and 110v input. Thanks again Miller, first the calendar and now this, Go Blue!!!
                          Paul

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

This is the sort of stuff I was hoping for and is the main reason we wanted to send the books and DVD's out to you. We are sending out another batch of books/DVD's tomorrow to those who have recently completed the brief welding preferences survey, so look for those to arrive in the next week.

I also wanted to point out (as those of who have already received the book and DVD may have noticed) that the content of the book was created by the staff here at Miller!

If anyone else is interested in receiving a copy of the TIG Welding for Dummies book and DVD, there are still about 200 copies left that we will be sending out for you to review and provide your own thoughts on. All you have to do is follow the link below and complete the survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...t_2bzDlw_3d_3d

Thanks again everyone and I will continue to watch for your input!
                            John Swartz
                            Miller Electric Mfg., Co.

[email protected]

Comment

• Top Shelf torch!

Hey Guys,
                              I was very fortunate today to get to take a Diversion for a few quick test runs. The new Weldcraft torch is really a nice piece, and the functionality of it wonderful. This machine may be marketed for the at-home user ( Like Me!) but it screams of quality and ruggedness. There has been a lot of thought that went in to every aspect of the design. I , as a person used to Dynastys, actually found the machine extremely enjoyable to use, as it was very plainly laid out and very intuitive. The arc was extremely stable even at low amperage. Had I not the 200 dynasty.....this would be in my stable.

John and others have put a lot of work into this, its appreciated that someone is taking the "personal user" seriously.

Guys looking to get into fabrication at home using the Tig process....keep your eyes on this one.

-Aaron
                              "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
                              Miller Dynasty 200DX
                              Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                              Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
                              Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                                Hey Guys,
                                I was very fortunate today to get to take a Diversion for a few quick test runs. The new Weldcraft torch is really a nice piece, and the functionality of it wonderful. This machine may be marketed for the at-home user ( Like Me!) but it screams of quality and ruggedness. There has been a lot of thought that went in to every aspect of the design. I , as a person used to Dynastys, actually found the machine extremely enjoyable to use, as it was very plainly laid out and very intuitive. The arc was extremely stable even at low amperage. Had I not the 200 dynasty.....this would be in my stable.

John and others have put a lot of work into this, its appreciated that someone is taking the "personal user" seriously.

Guys looking to get into fabrication at home using the Tig process....keep your eyes on this one.

-Aaron
                                Well that's it then....I'm gettin' my stuff now and slappin' me a plane together

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                                Miller WC-115-A
                                Miller Spectrum 300
                                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                                X