350P vs. 252

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350P vs. 252

Is the extra 1,000 bucks or so for the 350P worth it? My main application is building gym equipment out of steel. Having used a friends ealrier version of the 250, the 252 wouls be more than adequate. But I don't want to have regret down the road. Eventually I'd like to get a TIG as well for more control etc. but I don't see any immediate need. The spec sheet on the 350P has me intrigued by the claim of better bead appearnace,less rework etc. and that would be a plus.
    Chime in please.

Thanks

Scott
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plentysigpic

Why would there be less rework unless of course it was welded incorrectly in the first place. And why would bead appearance be better unless the wrong amount of amps was used?

Comment

I got to agree with Steve, not much on gym equipment or most other things a part timer would or could do that the 252 wont. While its true to some extent that there are advantages to tig for some applications "control" for this kind of work generally isnt one of them. If we are having issues here it is a problem with the operator.
      This is a typical bead that can be routinely made with this class of machine, there are a couple small issues with it that could be refined but the machine will do what the welder can.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, here is a pic for the poster of this thread. As for whether its worth the extra K, only you can decide, most people that bought more machine than they need dont regret it.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Sberry; 06-22-2008, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I own a MM 350P and a MM 252. both are great machines, the 350 is a bigger machine, and does pulse mig, where the 252 is the evolution of the 250, 250x, and 251, a tried and true design. IMHO, where the 350 really shines is in pulse migging aluminum, where you can get almost tig appearance welds. But that requires a push-pull gun and thats another $1500-2000, depending on design or make. As you said, the 252 would be more tha adequate, buy the 252 and put the $1000 toward a Dynasty 200 or 250 if it comes out.

Jack

Comment

Don't listen to the bells and whistles of the sales add.

As the other posters have said the machine is only as good as the weldor.
            So go right back to basics. What is the thickest piece you will welding and what type of joint?
            The 252 will do just about anything I can think of required for gym.

The only way i could see you needing a machine of that size would be for a machine stand. I worked for Pryor Products a few years back, They make IV stands for the hospitals. We would weld up the 1/2 X 2" bar stock bases in a fixture butt welded with no bevel or weld prep of any kind. Know realize this is for production and each operator was expected to make around 500 bases per day.
            Anyway the joint was a butt joint with sheared edges on hot rolled bar stock so there was a bit of a gap about a 3/32" gap I remember this because when welding we had the machine cranked up so hot and running wire out so fast we could get that wire down in that gap a good 1/4" and then it would arc. weld one side flip it over weld the other and have nearly 50% penetration per side. The machine was a lincoln 350 CV power supply with an add on wire feeder running .062 dual shield. Yes we had porosity issues ALL THE TIME. Oily parts fresh from the Ironworkers shear and hydraulic press.

Now to do a weld like that with no weld prep in a production setting YOU NEED HEAT and lots of it.
            Could the 252 do it? sure If you beveled the edges and have the time to waste doing it.

So it comes down to you production needs
            Kerry
            Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
            Millermatic 252 on the wish list
            Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
            South bend lathe 10LX40
            K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
            Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
            A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
            Auto shades are for rookies
            www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

SWEET weld there Sberry!

Comment

I bought one (350P)...did I need it? well sorta

Was it worth the extra grand? You bet yer freakin @$$t was!!!

And it will pulse mig just fine with a 30-A on thin aluminum.
                And don't forget it will pulse spray on thin mild steel sheet metal real nice as well
                I keep both guns hooked up all the time and can switch from one to the other by merely hitting the trigger but a 252 will do that as well.
                Once you use pulse spray on a new inverter you may never settle for much else..I LOVE it.
                For my money it is more than twice the machine but that is just me.
                Like S Berry was refering to it is hard to make the smaller/cheaper machine do more but it's really comforting to know you always have a machine that is more than capable of your needs.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

HA..I love this subject May as well give it a bump.
                  Met a guy at my shop early with 2 broken dock pushing barges. I could have used the Dynasty to fix him but the big Airco would've been better.
                  Anyhow I drug out the 350P which I seldom use because I normally charge by the hr and so it tends to make less. But I wanted to use it and it was fairly thick (3/16ths) and had multiple joints with unlimited mass. It was broken in the transom area on both boats.
                  ANYHOW...what a beast!!! Had to keep turning it down. I know 350P's are known for their push-pull set-ups and I want one some day but this is NOW and my 30-A is what I got. Besides it just shows all that much better what an awsum power supply the 350-P really is.
                  When I worked at the Ambulance factory we ran 251's all dang day on the main bodies and when the began to use 350P's the difference was very obvious. Better beads and much faster with less spatter.
                  I ran mine outside this morning for 2 hrs in short sleeves in all positions and got very little burns. The customers even commented on the [email protected]$$ sound it made while welding. I live for pulse spray mig...too bad I seldom get enuff time doing it.
                  I really do believe it (350P) is TOTALLY worth every penny. I'm not sure but it may even use less juice too.(than a 252)

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                  X