Dewalt Multi Cutter Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt Multi Cutter Saw

I have a DW872 saw which I like. The original blade on it needs to be sharpened. I just purchaced a elec saw blade sharpener from Harbor Freight
    on sale for $59. It comes with two wheels........one amber and one diamond.
    It seems well made for that price.
    Anyway..............the original blade has a wierd center hole shape that requires an aluminum ring spacer/adapter to fit on the saw. I also have a new replacement blade by Dewalt for the saw. It has a round center hole and doesn't need the aluminum ring to fit the saw.

Both blades are DW7747 by Dewalt. The carbide tip faces on the original blade are ground flat, perpendicular to the side of the blade. Near the center is MYJ9.
    The new blade has MYA6 in the center. I wonder if this is actually an older blade. This is why I'm curious. The replacement blade has the same Model #, same 70 tooth, ..........but the carbide teeth are ground differently. The face of each tooth is ground at a 7 degree angle, but one tooth is ground on one side and the next is ground the opposite. I wonder why. This blade has the grind angles printed on the blade. I am wondering if the newer blade is actually an older style going by the letters/numbers in the center. The blades are not cheap so the HF sharpener seems like a good deal. I never have sharpened a blade before so it took me a while to set it up but the 70 tooth blade took less than 10 min to sharpen with me double checking. Any other input about these blades from Dewalt owners would be appreciated.
    Nick

Here is a link to the sharpener:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96687

I would imagine, being that it has a diamond wheel, it would make a great tungsten sharpener.
    Last edited by monte55; 06-21-2008, 07:11 AM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

If your refering to the HF sharpener where the blade lays flat, i'm very interested in knowing how it works. Did you test the blade after sharpening? i would love to know, i have 2 dead milwaukee blades i paid almost 200 bucks for, and 2 new freuds i'm worried about!

I know that there are different tooth designs, the freuds are triple chip blades. One tooth is angled left, one right, and one strait. None are the full width of the kerf. Can't explain the de-walts, may be they came from different factories.

Please post an update or even pictures, if it's not too much trouble.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Link for sharpener attatched...see my previous post
      Nick
      Miller 252 Mig
      Miller Cricket XL
      Millermatic 150 Mig
      2-O/A outfits
      Jet Lathe and Mill
      Propane Forge

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out! Thats the one i saw. I would buy one if you get good results with the one you sharpened. Have you tested it yet? Is the finish as good as the factory? does the diamond wheel cut well, do you think it will last?
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Millermatic 175
        Spectrum 375

Comment

Saw Blade Sharpener pics

LAIKY, (and others interested)

Here are some pictures of the sharpener with a 14 inch 70 tooth DeWalt metal cutting blade with carbide teeth.
          First pics are of sharpening top of the tooth (rake?)
          Pay close attention to the setup of motor position, blade position, etc.
          Attached Files
          Nick
          Miller 252 Mig
          Miller Cricket XL
          Millermatic 150 Mig
          2-O/A outfits
          Jet Lathe and Mill
          Propane Forge

Comment

Saw Blade Sharpener pics

These pics are of grinding the face of the carbide tooth. Again, pay close attention to the setup of the motor, blade holder and the last pic (which is the tooth indexer stop). It springs one direction as you turn the blade and acts as a stop when you reverse the direction so each tooth will be ground the same.
            Attached Files
            Nick
            Miller 252 Mig
            Miller Cricket XL
            Millermatic 150 Mig
            2-O/A outfits
            Jet Lathe and Mill
            Propane Forge

Comment

Saw Blade Sharpener pics

Here is a pic of the sharpened blade and a couple of a piece of metal I cut with the blade I just sharpened. The grinding operation may not be perfect but it worked. I think, for the $59 price, it is well worth it; especially coming with a diamond blade. This could also be used to sharpen tungstens, lathe turning tools, etc.
              FINAL NOTE; (AND I FEEL THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP) WHICH I DID NOT DO UNTIL I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AT THE END AND REGROUND THE BLADE.

It is very difficult to tell if the face of your carbide tip is flat against the diamond wheel because it is so small.
              Take a Sharpie marker and on the side of the blade, mark your starting tooth to be sharpened...ALSO mark the face of the tooth with the black marker. When you feel you have your setup proper and ready to grind, do a very light test grind on this blackened tooth face. If you are not even across the face it will be evident and you must readjust your setup. Remark the tooth face and do another light test grind until you have the geometry correct. Do not move to another tooth until you have this correct. Once correct and your indexer stop is set properly, every tooth will be identical and the grinding will go very quickly.
              Spending $59 to save the life of $100 plus blades is a NO BRAINER.

I am not sure if I am doing everything correctly and if I am not, maybe someone can point it out. I am sure I will get better as I go.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by monte55; 06-22-2008, 10:01 AM.
              Nick
              Miller 252 Mig
              Miller Cricket XL
              Millermatic 150 Mig
              2-O/A outfits
              Jet Lathe and Mill
              Propane Forge

Comment

let us know how the re sharpened blade cuts the photos look good.

Comment

Thanks for the review Monte, i saw it but didn't want to spend the money on another HF POS. Based on your review i think i'm going to snag one, as soon as i clear a place to put it.
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Millermatic 175
                  Spectrum 375

Comment

Saw blade sharpener plus Tungsten Sharpener

Here's another use for the diamond blade carbide saw sharpener...
                    It works very well for sharpening your tungstens in the shop.
                    All of this for only $59!! What a great deal.
                    Attached Files
                    Nick
                    Miller 252 Mig
                    Miller Cricket XL
                    Millermatic 150 Mig
                    2-O/A outfits
                    Jet Lathe and Mill
                    Propane Forge

Comment

Nice review. I'll get one when I buy a dry cut saw. Love the tungsten sharpener.

James
                      Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                      WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                      Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                      20Ton press
                      And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                      www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                        These pics are of grinding the face of the carbide tooth. Again, pay close attention to the setup of the motor, blade holder and the last pic (which is the tooth indexer stop). It springs one direction as you turn the blade and acts as a stop when you reverse the direction so each tooth will be ground the same.
                        Monte, thanks for posting these pictures.....looks like a great product, best regards, Paul from FLA.
                        More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                          Here is a pic of the sharpened blade and a couple of a piece of metal I cut with the blade I just sharpened. The grinding operation may not be perfect but it worked. I think, for the $59 price, it is well worth it; especially coming with a diamond blade. This could also be used to sharpen tungstens, lathe turning tools, etc.
                          FINAL NOTE; (AND I FEEL THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP) WHICH I DID NOT DO UNTIL I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AT THE END AND REGROUND THE BLADE.

It is very difficult to tell if the face of your carbide tip is flat against the diamond wheel because it is so small.
                          Take a Sharpie marker and on the side of the blade, mark your starting tooth to be sharpened...ALSO mark the face of the tooth with the black marker. When you feel you have your setup proper and ready to grind, do a very light test grind on this blackened tooth face. If you are not even across the face it will be evident and you must readjust your setup. Remark the tooth face and do another light test grind until you have the geometry correct. Do not move to another tooth until you have this correct. Once correct and your indexer stop is set properly, every tooth will be identical and the grinding will go very quickly.
                          Spending $59 to save the life of $100 plus blades is a NO BRAINER.

I am not sure if I am doing everything correctly and if I am not, maybe someone can point it out. I am sure I will get better as I go.
                          Monte,great information and photos....thanks for sharing.....Paul
                          More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X