Lack of postings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to chime in here...

One common thread among a couple of you seems to be our "secret moderators". I'm not sure exactly why this has turned out to be such a conspiracy, but it has proved to be a fairly long-lived bone of contention.

I've commented on this before, but I'll say it again. The two people I have given extra rights to were for the sole purpose of SPAM or other related profianity, nude pics, etc. I chose them not based on my perception of skill level, etc., I chose them because they seemed to be #1 on the board on a very frequent basis and #2 seemed to stay out of trouble. I asked them to help only because spam was such an issue, especially on the weekends and after hours when I am not on the clock. They were not chosen to help keep conversations going, talk about Miller, speak intelligently about welding, or anything else. They are not on Miller's payroll in any way, they are simply volunteers helping to keep the site clean. They weren't deliberately kept secret, I just didn't see it as something that could turn into such a "scandal". I could revoke their privilages, but then we'd be subject to spam again on a regular basis... I feel they've been a great help, so I think they deserve a thank you more than anything...

Role-wise, here's who's who:
    Andy - True definition of the word "Moderator". He's here to help answer technical welding questions, especially relating to the motorsports industry.

Other Miller Tech/Marketing members - Here to help answer product-specific issues.

Admin - (Me) - Also help control spam, involved in coordinating marketing efforts/improvements to the boards. I also am (unfortunately) the "sheriff of message-board town". If I see people being attacking, using profanity or posting unsavory pics (anything that goes against our terms of use) I've been instructed to contact the member and let them know, or in the repeat-offender situation, ban the member.

Two volunteer "moderators" - Help control spam, help alert me to serious issues/fights, etc. on the board. They aren't paid, they don't have the ability to ban/delete members, and they don't have the ability to permanently delete any threads/posts. I've been clear with them that they are here for SPAM (although things on the terms of use list can apply if severe enough) only and to just let me know about anything else.

For those of you who have the attitude of "too bad if they can't take a direct comment", there are ways to convey a message without being so combative and condecending. It is the little "snipe-y" comments we don't need. A couple of people have said on this thread that they stopped posting because every time they do, people are waiting to jump all over them or are waiting to tell them they're idiots. That's not the type of board I'm interested in cultivating here.

Also, I'd like to say that according to our statistics, the post count isn't really down? Overall traffic is down (which is completely normal at this time of year in our site trends) and so therefore our post levels are down a little, but they correspond ratio-wise to the overall stats, so it isn't troubling?

Hope that helps to clear a few things up?

Thank you
    Last edited by Admin; 06-20-2008, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I am glad the admins have farmed out some of the spam detail to members. I don't care who they are. It was getting a little out of hand at times and I think the Miller staff was overwhelmed. Thanks for the help whoever it is.

This board has become more of the hobby and motorsports forum that I think it was intended to be. Its first incarnation seemed to have way more Pros of all types who frequented and had very interesting (to me) input. Aside from being just plain busy with work, or vacationing maybe they have moved to some other forum? I know the AWS forums are quite popular with a lot of Pros and there is some very interesting discussion there.
      Last edited by hurricunning; 06-20-2008, 01:05 PM.
      Cheers,
      Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

I was an admin on a car forum, and I can tell everyone here from my experience that there are so many SPAM Bots out there it is unthinkable. I spent hours deleting spam everyday. I finally gave up. Every forum I have ever been on has or had Moderators(Mods). Some have more abilities then other, but serve the same purpose; to keep the peace. Even when all **** is braking loose and the flood gates have opened, the Admin, Staff, and Mods have the keep everything flowing like nothing is going on. From what I've seen they are doing a good job. Cut them some slack. In the Subaru Community most mods don't even own a Subaru anymore, they just have a job that allows them to surf the internet all day(must be Nice).

James
        Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
        WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
        Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
        20Ton press
        And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
        www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

the aws site is becoming a lot more popular,its the second site i visit daily now.i also agree it has more welders on the site,more guys makin there livin welding over there,and a little more lincoln guys over there.i must admit the attitude of the admin(see above post) has really turned me off to miller.i dont believe the admin here conveys the attitude miller used to want people to think they had.just read the admin post above post and feel the sarcasam.there are other welders to buy,and maybe a call to miller after such purchase would make a change.

Comment

Maybe I'm just thickheaded, but I read the Admin's post twice and couldn't find the sarcasm.

She has a job to do too, and I think she is doing it well.
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
              I had to chime in here...

I feel they've been a great help, so I think they deserve a thank you more than anything...

???????????????????????,or the admin thinks we are stupid

Other Miller Tech/Marketing members - Here to help answer product-specific issues.

i have seen 2 or 3 threads in last year with guys with problems,and never seem the reply with any help of ant kind

Also, I'd like to say that according to our statistics, the post count isn't really down? Overall traffic is down (which is completely normal at this time of year in our site trends) and so therefore our post levels are down a little, but they correspond ratio-wise to the overall stats, so it isn't troubling?

apparently,some feel differently or otherwise this thread wouldnt have near as many replys,but you know what they say about opinions,i was just giving mine.:,thought that what a internet message board was all about.

Hope that helps to clear a few things up?

Thank you

by the way,i have all miller equipment.

Comment

I like the site and I thank everyone behind the scenes. It's free, I learn things and occassionally I'm able to help. It's too bad folks leave just because of small disagreements. One guy just rubbed me wrong, so I put him on my ignore list and all is well.
                RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                sigpic

Comment

I think the problem with this board is that there are a couple of bitter "professional" welders who are threatened or perhaps in someway insecure about less experienced or hobby welders giving answers that they don't like. I think it bothers them when noobs keep asking the same questions and certain people are polite and help. Occasionally a less experienced member may give a slightly ignorant, or overly enthusiastic answer to a question they don't realize is more complicated than it may seem. These "professionals" like to respond by belittling the poster. Then the poster defends themself and a war insues since the professionals don't act all that profesional at all. It would take nothing more than courtesy and politeness to fix the problems. I'm a profesional, i have been in several trades, and i would never treat any one i interact with like some "professionals" treat people here. Of course no ones perfect either so maybe trying to be a little less senative would help too, after all this is the internet.
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Millermatic 175
                  Spectrum 375
                  All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                    I like the site and I thank everyone behind the scenes. It's free, I learn things and occassionally I'm able to help. It's too bad folks leave just because of small disagreements. One guy just rubbed me wrong, so I put him on my ignore list and all is well.

Well said. I really enjoy this site and I learn a lot - I don't really contribute a whole lot, but I try where I can. My Dad has been a welder all of his life, he retired a few years ago at the age of 70, he still does some work for his friends and offers a lot of advice to me on how to weld (along with a lot of advice on other things) I know there are people on this board with all the certs as well as people with none. Maybe there should be a seperate message board for more advanced discussion while keeping the motorsports, projects and regular discussion board intact so those that have more knowledge arent bothered by those of us who are just learning (I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms here). Dad always said that welding is the most "ba$tard-ized" profession there is because anyone the has an AC Buzz box on the farm thinks they are a welder. It's all starting to make sense now as I see some of the stuff people want me to fix. I'm not a welder, I'm a guy who has a welder. I don't know all the physics behind whats going on - all I know is that I can make something that I dreamed up, and the next time it will be a little better. There is not a person I have ever had the opportunity to meet that has been an expert their first day. It all takes time. Shows like American Chopper and American Hot Rod probably increased sales for tool manufacturer's (not just Miller) but they really didnt do justice for the trade of welding and mechanics. I have a pretty nice shop that is my getaway from my daily grind as a Network Administrator. I do some welding on the side for a few people - mostly friends - and a few easy jobs for some farmers around the area. I don't tell them that I know it all (because I certainly don't) and I wont take on a job that I am not comfortable with or a job where there is a chance that someone will get hurt if I screw up. My Dad has a very good reputation around the area and once people found out I can weld, they are asking for some work out of me - I always tell them "not yet, still learning, check back another time". As with any trade, there is always something to learn and there is always someone that knows a little bit more than you. Those that know more should feel honored and try to help a person out, as well as the person that doesnt know should be greatfull and appreciate the help they receive. I think people that put up a front right away and are quick to criticize are scared, weak, and insecure. Just to put it in perspective, as I said I'm a computer guy by trade - not a welder, I keep a network of 300 workstations, 11 servers, and communications systems for pubic safety (police, fire, public works) running everyday 24/7/365. I am comfortable doing this, and I enjoy doing this. I also enjoy following in my fathers footsteps welding and fabricating - I think it makes him proud. So anyone that wants to bash a person for wanting to learn and ask questions before they make something or repair something, remember that they are asking because they dont know, or don't have the resources or experience others do and they want to do it right. How do you think I feel about most people using computers? Should you have to know the in's and out's of them before you send an email? - No! you need to know how to send mail, or post a message on a board. Anyone on this board can do that, but how many really knows what goes on behind the scenes? After that message leaves your PC, thru your router (probably unsecured) to your ISP, to their headend, to the CO etc... You get the idea. I know my Dad was right about his profession, as I am seeing the same thing in mine, But I never bash anyone for asking me a question about networks, computers etc. I've helped people from the age of 8 to 80 with computers, and have welded things for people from the age of 8 to 80. If I dont dont know how to do it, I dont guess and do it, I ask the question to the experts and go from there. Fortunately for me I have access to my Dad, others here are not so lucky. So don't start a big stink for someone asking a question..... Holy crap - sorry for the long rant, better grab another beer then head for the house

BTW - I can appreciate the administrators and mods jobs as I know how hard it is to keep things running and clean on a 'private network', let alone a public forumn....

Comment

Willy - well said. You conveyed many of my feelings, i am also a network guy. I go from VM ware/SAN/Cisco meetings to "is the caps lock on?". I deal with experts much more knowledgable than me in there areas to people who are faced with a PC for the first time in their lives. I NEVER put any one down for not knowing, and i won't beat someone up who thinks they do or has less experience than me. In the computer feild, especially, many less experienced people are more current on the newest hardware and software. Regardless, compared to almost any other feild we have to keep learning. I'm not afraid to learn or ask questions. I throw out a good 30% of my knowledge every 3 years with the pace of things in the industry today. When some one touts there 10,20,40,100 years of experience doing just one thing i wonder just how current or willing to learn they are!
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Millermatic 175
                      Spectrum 375
                      All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

I havent been on here for a while, pipeline work is still very slow so I take on what ever I can to keep food on the table! As a pro welder I find this forum very interesting. Its very interesting hearing the different ways welders from around the world do things, and infact I have used some of what I have learned on a pipeline or fab'n pipe on the back of my rig. $hit I have even learned stuff from the many different helpers I have worked with!! What I do find odd is how guys step over the line with some stuff. I have been in a few $hit matches with different guys(you know who you are) and its no fun but some guys need to be set in their place. Seems like with some of them, if someone doesnt stand up to them they just keep going and going, before you know it the forum is a $hit show!!! We need to show respect to one another, and we'll all learn more. As a Alberta welder welding pipeline in -40 winters I find it hard to take when a welder from way down south is "telling" me how to stay warm. Thats like me telling the welder from way down south how to stay cool in +40 summers with that said I think guys take breaks from the forum to be with family, working longer hours, but some guys have left because they get pi$$y with other guys. just my 2 cents
                        DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                        PIPEPRO 304
                        TO MANY TOOLS
                        JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                        rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                        and easily upset
                        go flames go

Comment

I have been following this thread for awhile now and some of you have some good points, some things I do agree with, some things not so much.

Anyways, In my case I haven't been posting much for two reasons,
                          1st. I have been doing more mechanical and auto body type of work than welding and the 2nd. reason is that I have just been too [email protected] busy doing mechanical and auto body type repairs to post much.
                          If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
                          Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by Propulsion View Post
                            You dont know why welders are leaving
                            This is my experience with this site.
                            I listed my welding and NDT Certifications under my signature not knowing that per this forums opinion and bylaws that it was proper protocall to list ones equipment instead. I dont get it, the equipment is only as good as the operater but I guess I was not following the rules.
                            People were posting saying we want more pics of welding projects.
                            So made the mistake of posting pics of Aircraft and Aerospace Engine parts and Assemblies that I have fabricated and welded only to have cyberwelders and welding wantabe start cyber inspecting my welds with cyber inspection equipment,print, and specifications. This as happened everytime I have posted a pic. This site is run like a clubhouse it does not matter what experiece, certifications,training or education one has it only matter if the club members let you into there inner cirlce. What a joke. I have been in the Aircraft and Aerospace industries for 24 years, I hold multiple Certifications in welding and Non-destructive testing. My welds are on flight critical hardware for the following Aircraft/Space vehicles:Space Shuttle,Titan Rocket,Delta Rocket,Cruise Missile,BlackHawk,Apache,Cobra,Chinook and Kiowa. Department of Defense,NASA,Lewis Research Center just to name a few Customers are very happy with my services but I guess some of you are better qualified to judge.
                            As one of the guys that welds on the weekends and some evenings I would like to see more of your work and answers to problems asked. I do some good work but I am not a weldor. I am a guy that owns and uses some welders. I read the directions, study via books and listen to what others have to say. Make and break to test and adjust my methods as needed. These are some of the methods I use to learn to do many things. Forums such as this one NEED the few truly well rounded and calm members to cover the hard and complex questions. "Why does my Mig make bubbly welds" can be answered by most members and many of the questions presented are not real complex. Don't let numbers dissuade you. Learning is often more in the less common but very interesting discussions. I for one don't mind sifting through 40 posts or threads of day to day stuff for the one gem filled one. I see gems pop up in the common threads as well. Another angle or method presented to the same question has value even if just for comparison.
                            There a few loud ones on every forum. Experienced and well read contributors don't need to be loud or abrasive. Their knowledge shows through in the long run. I like this quote, from who I don't know, but it often fits in internet shouting matches. "Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on their turf" The other one I like is "Don't wrestle with pigs. They like it and you both end up muddy".

I listed my running gear as this is a Brand specific forum and the gear uses is often asked in response to a question asked. I don't list or have signature lines on the other forums I visit.
                            Last edited by Vicegrip; 06-21-2008, 10:41 PM.
                            Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

Looks like posting is back up or is it just me.
                              Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                              WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                              Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                              20Ton press
                              And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                              www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Originally posted by StillBoostin View Post
                                Looks like posting is back up or is it just me.
                                It's you....

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                                Miller WC-115-A
                                Miller Spectrum 300
                                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                                X