advice..... dvi2 or 212

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice..... dvi2 or 212

I'm looking at buying either a dvi2 or a 212 for light fab work and occasional tube welding, probably nothing over 3/16" thickness.
    My local Miller Dealer says that they are more or less equal machines for what I'm going to be using them for. Dvi is less expensive though.
    I like the idea that the dvi can run off of 110v so it is more portable for repairs at the track. These are usually tabs/brackets that have been knocked off. NO cage repairs at the track, or done by me at all for that matter.
    Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated

Steve

How portable you need to be? I assume you have trailer to roll the Dvi up into?

May want to check out the Passport Plus Don't need a Trailer
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I say go for the 212 and forget lugging that heavy sucker around. The 212 is overall a far superior machine, no contest except for the 120V, if you got to have it,, well? At tracks are you guys running gen sets or using premise power?

Comment

I have a DVI and, although it welds beautifully on 110v and will weld cage tubing fine at that voltage, I in no way consider it "portable" . So, unless you have a reason for needing 110V capability in your shop, I say go with the MM212.

Comment

For the same duty cycles the DVI and Passport I see no need for the DVI in the Miller lineup.

If 110v is a must the Passport is the clear winner. Same output portable, easy to setup self contained plenty of power. Then when its hooked into 220V it's like plugging a whole new machine.

I regularly run mine on a 115v/15 amp circuit with a 50' 12ga extension cord, with no issues.

I take mine to the track every weekend and run it off a pair of Honda EU2000's. or my TB 302G, depending on what truck is doing the hauling.
          Last edited by FATFAB; 06-15-2008, 01:32 PM. Reason: duty cycle DVI is 40% when 220v input vs 20% for the Passport

Comment

FATFAB is dead on. if you need portability go with the passport. if you have 220 at the shop go with the MM212 its much more than the DVI.
            the passport can be hooked up to an external tank just like the DVI or MM212 for shop work and used on its small internal tank at the track. what ever you buy you will have it for a long time, adding a few $'s to get the one that suits you best will make those many years much more convenient.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

The passport wins hands down if you have to have 110v and 220v. The mm212 is a much better machine. If you have a gen that will push 220v+. Most generators have that option. The Passport is the most portable welder in the fleet. Buy a generator with 220v and buy the MM212 and you will be so happy. Don't for get the spool gun. You never now when you might brake an Aluminum part. The SG100 for the Passport is only $200 but the SG3035 in double, so something to think about.

James
              Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
              WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
              Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
              20Ton press
              And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
              www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Originally posted by StillBoostin View Post
                The passport wins hands down if you have to have 110v and 220v. The mm212 is a much better machine. If you have a gen that will push 220v+. Most generators have that option. The Passport is the most portable welder in the fleet. Buy a generator with 220v and buy the MM212 and you will be so happy. Don't for get the spool gun. You never now when you might brake an Aluminum part. The SG100 for the Passport is only $200 but the SG3035 in double, so something to think about.

James
                James,

Not just any genset will do-

You will need at least a 6500watt genset for the MM212 as it pulls 27 amps at Rated load
                Ed Conley
                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                MM252
                MM211
                Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                TA185
                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                O/A set
                SO 2020 Bender
                You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I didn't know the specs needed so I figure someone would and you were the guy. Thanks now I know.

James
                  20Ton press
                  www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Passport vs. DVI is kinda like "Auto vs. Pedestrian". Same results, too.

Hnak
                    ...from the Gadget Garage
                    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                    Handler 210 w/DP3035
                    TA185TSW
                    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Thanks for all who responded. I got a lot of great info from all over this forum.
                      This is a great resource for a hack like myself. Ordered a Passport yesterday!
                      Steve

Comment

Great choose. Your won't be disappointed. I hear it weld as good as the big machines.

James
                        20Ton press
                        www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Working...
                        X