Need a little help with equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help with equipment

I am about to tackle a huge project at my home shop and would like to be able to Mig just a nicely as I do at work with a good in-shop machine.
    I have a Trailbalzer 250G that I picked up used about 6 or 8 years ago and it has also been great for stick welding the little stuff we've allways done at home. However, this will be nearly a full fabrication shop type job using medium materials like 1/4" thick angle and 3" structural channel. I'll be working on it evenings and weekends and hope to not have to also devote Sundays to to get it done in a reasonable time.

The real question is this: Can anyone tell me if the 22A or 24A wire feeder will definately work with the Trailblazer 250? I see the information lists it working with the Bobcat series, but I know nothing about the differences.

Any advice is appreciated!

22A Feeder

Any 24 volt Miller, like the 22A and 24A, will plug into any machine with the 14 pin such as your Trailblazer. Many folks nowadays are going with an arc voltage feeder to get away from the control/gas/power cable required with a conventional constant speed feeder - in the case of Miller, that would be the 32 or Suitcase 12VS series.
    Two other considerations, 4.00 gas and closeness of neighbors, might suggest getting a 240 vac shop mig, even if you just rented it for the project. weldersales

Comment

I have a 12 VS Suitcase Extreme running off my Trailblazer. I am using Fluxcore 1/16" wire. It seems to be a really good combination. I pull a 25,000 lbs trailer/backhoe around with the welds made by this setup. Anyhow I guess this really does not answer your question.
      Millermatic 350P
      Dynasty 350DX
      Trailblazer 302
      Spectrum 2050
      Spectrum 375 Extreme

Comment

1/4" won't even be a challenge for the TB. I recently did a bit of 1" with my TB302. It wasn't even that difficult. Those two feeder should be just fine.
        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
        '06 12RC feeder
        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
        Esab Multimaster 260
        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Yeah, We'd like to get the shop wired for 240, but in this immediate situation that's not an option. Neighbors don't mind the noise since thier a 1/2 mile away or more and I like the idea of getting portable Mig capability when I need it.....4 bucks a gallon for the gas does stinck, though!

Would the 22A require any other equipment to work? I only ask, cause I remember when I set up a 30A spool gun to go with the shop mig, a "Milermatic 200" , at work and it required an adapter box between the 2.
          I'm also assuming I'd need the regulator separately to run a gas mix and solid wire. Is there some separate equipment related to that which I would also have to get?

Comment

Yep any feeder will work with your TB, including your Miller 30A & WC-24 controller

Comment

Cool, this is looking easier than I expected it would be.....with this info and finally getting my dealer on the phone, I might just buy the Suitcase Xtreme.

Comment

i have the extreme 12vs wire feeder and it almost runs nicer than my 251 and 252 migs. all u need is the feeder, cant remember if it comes with a regulator or not but their relatively cheap anyways, and a bottle of mig mix.
                trail blazer 302
                hypertherm plasma
                millermatic 251
                high feq. arc starter
                suit case (extreme 12vs)
                o/a torches
                way to many other tools to list

Comment

Yeah, the more I research this, the more it looks like a situation of spending a good bit of money to get "good enough" or spend a little more to the best possible.....I'm ordering the 12VS today!

Comment

good choice best piece of equipment i have ever bought. you'll love it.
                    trail blazer 302
                    hypertherm plasma
                    millermatic 251
                    high feq. arc starter
                    suit case (extreme 12vs)
                    o/a torches
                    way to many other tools to list

Comment

YAY!!! I just got the call from my tool guy.....the order is in and my 12VS will be shipped in to me in a couple of days..... and next Tuesday my load of steel is being delivered at the home shop, so I can't wait to try it out!

Comment

I worked close by to a guy using a brand new (I saw him unpack the box) 12VS over the last couple of weeks and he fought, for several days, a stubbing problem that acted like too much voltage.
                        To eliminate his power source as the problem I let him hook to my machine (Lincoln Classic II w/wire feed module) and he continued to have problems. Then the connector pulled out of the front of the box leaving components of the plug still in the box. He (we) determined that a bad connection had been his problem all along but the failure of the male plug left him dead in the water and the box going to the shop for a fix.

All the while my old school LN-25 trucked on happily (as they always do), making money for the old home place.

On the internet everyone tells me the "new" Miller feeders are great but so far they seem to be just like the old ones, that is under hard duty they fail. Anectdotal evidence to be sure but it's the only new school Miller feeder I've seen in harsh use so far.

When a day "down" cost's you a grand per man, out of your pocket, It's painfull to own unreliable equipment.

Like I said, anectdotal of course, but I've watched several hundreds of LN-25's in many states and several countries just keep on trucking thru harsh use and bad abuse at 40 below zero, or (this week) on a deck at a measured 148 degrees , drink that water and stay hydrated!

I haven't heard any reports on the new Lincoln feeder yet, I know an outfit that bought dozens of them so we'll probably hear something soon. I hope the Millers are holding up better than the one I was close too as competition makes the entire breed improve.
                        My take only so feel free to ignore it.

JTMcC.
                        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

I don't have years and years of experience running suitcases in the field, just a couple. The three different Extreme 12VS units I have run were excellent - no problems whatsoever, running full tilt high amps all day long for weeks on end. Same with the couple of LN25s I have run. I did hear the odd grumble about the 12VS though - a solenoid wire coming lose and a couple of DOA boxes. For whatever reason they are very popular around here. There are the occasional problem with LN 25s too - like any piece of equipment, stuff does break down. My own 12VS I have lent to a friend of mine who has been using it 10 hour days running 5/64 self shield wire for almost a year now with zero problems. (Hope he buys it from me it was supposed to be a couple of weeks only!)
                          Cheers,
                          Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

Working...
                          X