Scary but funny.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary but funny.

The other day one of my classmates asked me if it was possible to take the trailer hitch of his car, so I crawled under and started looking. At first I thought that it was some sort of silicone sealant leaking out, then I realised there were no bolts on one side and that this mess was actually the "welds" holding this hole thing together. By, the way, the welds were done with wire not stick, I picked off a couple of wiskers while I was looking in amazement.

I should mention that the car was bought used and that none of this work was preformed by my classmate. I also apologize if the pictures are a little poor, they were taken on a friends cellphone.

Hope you get a chuckle.
    Attached Files
    Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 211
    4' Box and Pan Break
    IR compressor

Very nasty, probably never welded before in their lives.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

scary what some people will do.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

looks like a "wire feed" welder with mig wire and no gas. Sometimes a "can do" attitude is a bad thing!
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Millermatic 175
        Spectrum 375
        All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Pictures like these are why I think welding equipment should not be available to the general public without some form of training to go with it.

I have caught a lot of flack on some other forums about the above statement by me, but you can see how dangerous a person can be when let loose in Harbor Freight or Home Depot.

Luckily there must be something sticking together enough or they never used it, either way they were lucky not to have killed themselves or some innocent person driving down the road with a run away trailer. Dave
          If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
          Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if a uhaul place did this. They'll weld a trailer hitch to anything and considering how many locations there are, they can't have that many "master" welders.
            Miller Maxstar 200 DX
            RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
            Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
            Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
            Hitachi 4.5" grinder
            http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
              Pictures like these are why I think welding equipment should not be available to the general public without some form of training to go with it.
              Although I disagree with you, I know where your coming from. Unfortunately though, I've seen this kind of garbage come out of shops that claim to be professional.
              There was a bad accident near where I live within the last year were a trailer came loose. Not sure if it was a welding issue or not but there was a death as a result of the accident. People really need to consider the consequences of failure when they do things like this.
              To all who contribute to this board.
              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Poor welds

I guess that if you are willing to stick your neck out and weld like that, you deserve whatever happens. Can't believe that someone would rely on that weld for a hitch! It looks to me to be too low of voltage and probably not clean enough. That guy should be making scud missiles! By the way, in my industry of air conditioning, I see lots of crap work. It's the failing economy and unskilled work force.
                Millermatic 210
                Syncrowave 200
                Spectrum 625 X-treme
                Hobart Champion 16 W/
                Miller 8VS Suitcase
                Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                Tons of Tools
                Microwave
                Laptop and Printer
                Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

Originally posted by lanceman73 View Post
                  I guess that if you are willing to stick your neck out and weld like that, you deserve whatever happens. Can't believe that someone would rely on that weld for a hitch!
                  Problem is that it is generally an innocent family that meets tragedy and the person that did work like this doesn't get so much as a scratch. Another thing to add is that more than likely the person who did this "fine" job of welding probably carries no insurance and little to none in assets when the family of the victim tries to sue for his (or hers) negligence.
                  If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
                  Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

I'm not saying that it is right! That's some f*cked up welding and should never be allowed.
                    Millermatic 210
                    Syncrowave 200
                    Spectrum 625 X-treme
                    Hobart Champion 16 W/
                    Miller 8VS Suitcase
                    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                    Tons of Tools
                    Microwave
                    Laptop and Printer
                    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

The welder must have been from Lowe's

People with little mechanical ability watch these shop programs and Orange County Chopper type programs, then head to Lowe's for the cheapest machine available. Lincoln even has one with just a high/low voltage switch and wire speed, 70 amps output. Then the idiots try to save money by doing there own custom fab. A family friend built a utility trailer (a bit on the heavy side) and had the tongue collapse or buckle. That is dangerous.

Comment

even if the guy that owns the car put the hitch on himself, he will most likely not suffer any injury from the failure. as the hole trailer drops off the back of his car and slams into some other family going the other direction. sue him is not going to bring back little johny who had his head taken off by a 19ft boat going the wrong direction.
                        i think the shows do cause a lot of i can do that attitude. and as said the cheepo 2 setting MIG looks easy enough to get the job done cheap. with no knowledge of the heat needed to get a good weld they end up with enough to hold the hitch on, and think its good to go.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Head
                          Between your signature and mine, how many more will we need for congress to make this a law?
                          Count me in
                          Miller Bobcat 250
                          Victor O/A
                          Chop Saw
                          Porta-band
                          grinders
                          hand tools

Comment

Were the bolts doing anything?? It sorta looked like it was a bolt on hitch and then they welded it also.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I wish they had welding in schools still. They got rid of the mechanic and wood shop at my HS. Turned it into a Info Technology Center(computers) back in 94-98. Had to go to a Tech HS with special permission to get into the program. Total BS! They need to teach kids trades, cause not everyone is going to be a Doctor, lawyer, computer geek, or a dirty politician. Those rich *******s still need us blue collar workers to everything around there house and business. Thank God I was born in the good old USA. Couldn't imagine being in North Korea !

James
                              Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                              WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                              Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                              20Ton press
                              And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                              www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Working...
                              X