Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New (old) Welding Rig (pic).. whats missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a very, very nice looking setup. The first thing I thought of, even before reading the replies, was the oxy/act bottles. If it were me, I'd at least carry a spare oxy bottle. I think after you operate out of the truck for a few weeks you will figure out what you need to take off and what you need to put in it's place. Overall, it looks great!!
    Jim

Comment

Duncan,

Easier to post links to pictures than try to describe them. I'm sure you do know them, just as you say, by a different name.

http://www.tools-plus.com/hand-tools-bull-pins.html

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/servlet/StoreFront
      Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Comment

sweet looking rig man. the only thing that i can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is a coffee pot. for me i would rather have to pack up two or three times a day to resupply on the bean juice than work a full day without.
        Joe
        [email protected]

Comment

For site work I pack a Large bot of act and 3 bots of ox. Most I have used is 5 bots of ox before lunch. Course that was when the D9 pushed a 631D through a rock the size of a volkswagon and ripped the floor away. Plus three others that hit the same rock. Eventfull day.
          That's a really beautiful work of art. I couldn't use it. Like buying a new 4 by and driving it into a swamp first day. Best use it for show on the winery jobs for best effect.

Comment

Sweet rig.

All our road guys have a couple of rather heavily abused folding saw horses and an extension ladder strapped to their trailers.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan_m View Post
              I quit an IT career to weld full time.. the last thing I want is a laptop!
              Amen, IT took me off-guard. Once I'd started my career, it was too late to quit.

There's no truth in the 8:1 women/men thing.. its about 50/50 and they're mostly chubby, self-absorbed, entitlement princesses.
              I didn't come here to learn the facts of life. And once they get nearer to my age, not chubby; they're fat. Fortunately (or not), I've out-lived my hormones.
              Last edited by Craig in Denver; 05-24-2008, 01:48 PM.
              RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
              sigpic

Comment

That is a nice looking outfit.
                I would have to go along with longer torch hoses, bigger bottles, and add a couple of CHAIN come alongs.
                Leave the cable ones for the farmers and stock car racers
                Jeff

Comment

I have a couple chain ones but the one I really use is a cable, its the 4 ton labeled one. I think I paid about 20$ when you could get the ultra cheapies for 15 but this thing is pretty good and I took the sheave off. I don't carry it on my serv truck but on the pickup where I do about 95$ of my work. I emptied a bunch of stuff from it I didn't use regular, I have it down to near science and everything has a couple uses.
                  Duncan obviously has more variety but I find off my truck its a few wrenches, some impacting on occasion but primarily a torch, grinder and welding machine, small steel and a few bolts.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I've really appreciated all the input.. and I've made a short list of other stuff to add to the truck and I've sourced some longer Oxy/Acetylene hoses.. the bottles are still an issue.. I'll ponder it for a bit longer.
                    Cheers,

Dunc.
                    ------------
                    Miller Bobcat 250(K)
                    Miller HF-251-2 Box
                    Miller 12VS Suitcase Wirefeeder
                    Lincoln Procut 25 Plasma Cutter
                    BOC Magmate 250 MIG Welder
                    CIG 130 Amp AC Buzzbox.
                    Makita Grinders
                    Bosch GCO14 Chopsaw

Comment

keep in mind when cutting with O/A the oxy use is like 5X that of acet. use. the oxy goes fast when you start cutting. i suspect some of the guys doing heavy equipment repair could give you a more acurate use rate as im just guessing at 5X1 as i dont use it that much any more now i have plasma cutter.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

The biggest thing missing is a workload.
                        A welding rig sitting without work is just expensive yard art.
                        A welding rig with a heavy workload is a money making machine.....and at that point you won't have to ask people on the internet what you need, you'll know.

And when you and your truck are billing out say 150,000 to a quarter of a million a year U.S.$, you won't mind the look of those big oxygen bottles at all. In fact you just might gaze upon them fondly.

JTMcC.
                        Last edited by JTMcC; 05-24-2008, 06:36 PM.
                        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

If there is any room left you can lay down a large oxy bottle instead of standing it up.
                          MM250
                          Trailblazer 250g
                          22a feeder
                          Lincoln ac/dc 225
                          Victor O/A
                          MM200 black face
                          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                          Arco roto-phase model M
                          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                          Miller spectrum 875
                          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                          Syncrowave 250
                          RCCS-14

Comment

Maybe I missed it or someone already suggested it. I always carry a regular toolset with screw drivers, sockets, wrenches. If you find you are getting alot of business on heavy equipment you may want carry some hard facing rod with you and charge accordingly.

Asthetics are also important to me, and believe it or not some of your future customers will view you as more of a proffesional because of it. Beautiful truck and great equipment list
                            Millermatic 350P
                            Dynasty 350DX
                            Trailblazer 302
                            Spectrum 2050
                            Spectrum 375 Extreme

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                              If there is any room left you can lay down a large oxy bottle instead of standing it up.
                              Ah.. I was going to ask that.. an Oxygen bottle can be safely laid down? I know its dangerous for acetylene.. I have loads of room under the bed between the main chassis rails.. I could rig something secure up there..
                              Cheers,

Dunc.
                              ------------
                              Miller Bobcat 250(K)
                              Miller HF-251-2 Box
                              Miller 12VS Suitcase Wirefeeder
                              Lincoln Procut 25 Plasma Cutter
                              BOC Magmate 250 MIG Welder
                              CIG 130 Amp AC Buzzbox.
                              Makita Grinders
                              Bosch GCO14 Chopsaw

Comment

on my torch the oxy-acet rate is rite around 2 to 1.rosebud will go down to almost 1 to 1.

i like the old truck,and while i think your world and jts are miles apart,he is giving you some priceless lessons rite here on the internet.for those of us that have been at this awhile are reading his lessons to u and shaking our heads yes while reading.

on the tank size,i get the biggest tanks i can get on everything,oxy-acet-shielding gas,it just makes better sense in every way.i pay 13 for a 251 refill,and around 34 for a 140cf acet.u probaly are paying close to that for a 4th of the gas,plus time is money and with gas 4 dollars a gallon the less trips to refill means more money,it is hard enough to make it,and u dont wnat to give it all to your lws.they probaly like your small tanks.

again,nice truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X