Ellis 1800 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellis 1800 questions

About to pull the trigger on an Ellis 1800 in the next week or so.
    Question for you Ellis experts: Is the air system worth it? Is this a self-contained unit, as in it has it’s own compressor, or do you use shop air?
    I will use the saw mostly on steel shapes, little aluminum, and very little, if any stainless steel. Hopefully this will be the last saw I ever buy, (in my twilight years) just soon do it correctly the first time, and not have to play catch-up later on down the road!

Any suggestions on who to deal with, who not to deal with? The best price I’ve found so far is Direct Tools for $2,895.00, haven’t contacted them for a shipping quote as of yet. Something this heavy shipping will be a huge factor I’m sure!
    Thunderbolt
    Spud wrench
    Bull prick
    BFH
    As FogHorn LegHorn says:
    “That’s a joke son!”

I have had my welding business since 1988 and bought the 1800 Ellis in approx. 1993.
    I wouldnt waste my time or money on the air because it is no needed.

We are portable welders so half the time we are in the shop and the other half is in the field, my saw runs on average about 3-4 hours a week continuouse and some times it runs all day for 3 days in a row depending on what we are working on.

I go into other shops on a daily basis and use their saws from time to time.
    The only other saw out on the market that I would say is better than mine is a Hydmech saw.
    Keep in mind the Hydmech saws start at around $ 15,000.00 IM guessing compared to the Ellis at about $ 3,000.00

I had to put a new $ 300.00 gear box on my Ellis about a year ago but other than that it is still a great saw.

I have also tried other blades over the years but I keep coming back to the ellis blades.

Good luck with your new saw, I can assure you it will be the last saw that you will ever buy.

Comment

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me Portable Welder! I was beginning to think all the Ellis owners had left this site.

I’ve been quoted as low as $135.00 for the air system; do you feel it is still not worth it? Seems as every time I go cheap a month or a year later I wish I hadn’t.
      Still considering the vertical table, but the one I have now for my ENCO saw I hardly ever use. My portable band saw, sawzall, and industrial jigsaw seem to do everything I need to date. There again every time I go cheap I wish I hadn’t!
      With as many good reviews as I’ve read on these Ellis saws I think I’ll buy all the bells and whistles and be done with it, like you say it will be the last saw I ever buy!
      Do you buy your Ellis blades online? If so where?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
      Thunderbolt
      Spud wrench
      Bull prick
      BFH
      As FogHorn LegHorn says:
      “That’s a joke son!”

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Head View Post
        Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me Portable Welder! I was beginning to think all the Ellis owners had left this site.

I’ve been quoted as low as $135.00 for the air system; do you feel it is still not worth it? Seems as every time I go cheap a month or a year later I wish I hadn’t.
        Still considering the vertical table, but the one I have now for my ENCO saw I hardly ever use. My portable band saw, sawzall, and industrial jigsaw seem to do everything I need to date. There again every time I go cheap I wish I hadn’t!
        With as many good reviews as I’ve read on these Ellis saws I think I’ll buy all the bells and whistles and be done with it, like you say it will be the last saw I ever buy!
        Do you buy your Ellis blades online? If so where?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

IH I have the 1600 Ellis with out the air cooling. I do a considerable amount of SS handrail. The only reason I have replaced blades is because broke them letting the blade fall or using the wrong tooth count for the material being cut. (no less than three no more than 20 teeth in the material at a time)

I did not order the vertical table option and ended up making one. I did order the feed table and wish I had ordered another so as to have in and out feed rollers.

I bought mine direct from Ellis, paid a bit more but saved big on shipping (to Alaska) I have tried other blades and have decided I like the Ellis the best, also buy direct.

TJ

Comment

Iron Head,
          Don't know about the air system as the Ellis I have was converted to air by the previous owner. They didn't use the Ellis system...just and air hose connection, pressure adjusting valve and a short section of small diameter brass tubing for the blower end. While there is no automatic shutoff...as I believe there may be on the Ellis...the cost would be substantially under the $135 you quoted. Most of the time I don't even bother with the air, but keep the wire wheel adjusted on the outfeed to carry away most of the swarf. Unless you are into bells and whistles, I'd spend the money on extra blades and make my own air system. Even with and automatic shutoff you should be able to cobble one together for under $20.
          Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
          Miller DialArc 250
          Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
          Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
          Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
          Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
          South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
          Logan 7" shaper
          Ellis 3000 band saw
          Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
          Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
          3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
          Lots of dust bunnies
          Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Wait a cotton-picking minute here!
            Are you saying for a $135.00 I’ am just buying some tube and fittings, and have to use my shop air compressor?

I was under the impression it came with a self contained cheap little oil less air compressor!

Which is it?
            Thunderbolt
            Spud wrench
            Bull prick
            BFH
            As FogHorn LegHorn says:
            “That’s a joke son!”

Comment

Shop air unless Ellis changed. The downloadable manual for this saw shows a shop air connection for the Ellis optional set-up.
              Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
              Miller DialArc 250
              Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
              Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
              Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
              Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
              South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
              Logan 7" shaper
              Ellis 3000 band saw
              Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
              Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
              3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
              Lots of dust bunnies
              Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

I just got off the phone with a vender following up on his quote before I made my last post! I should have asked him!

As already said I can plumb my own airlines, and use my compressor if need be. Little harder to build my own blades, money would be better spent on blades!
                I planned on building my own roller tables. I have plenty of the rollers.
                Thunderbolt
                Spud wrench
                Bull prick
                BFH
                As FogHorn LegHorn says:
                “That’s a joke son!”

Comment

What type of cooling?

Is the ELLIS Air Cooling System just a straight small orifice with air directed to the area of the cut, or is it a venturi system utilizing compressed air to create cooling. A venturi system is typically an air hog. We use them to cool small cabinet with PLCs in them . . .
                  Millermatic 251
                  Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
                  Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
                  Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Comment

The air set-up is just a manifold block that comes down over the blade and supplies the air flow across it before discharging out the gaps.

It's very simple, and very effective at consuming air.

They have a little 20gal upright oil-less compressor connected to a 3000 at the steel yard in the AL room (they do steel/stainless with a water cooled DoAll or Peerless). That compressor pretty much only shuts off when the machine isn't cutting.
                    Syncrowave 250DX
                    Invison 354MP
                    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                    Smith O/A rig
                    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

do u have one on your ellis saw fishy jim????????

Comment

Originally posted by weld-tek View Post
                        do u have one on your ellis saw fishy jim????????
                        Spinners maybe?
                        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
                          I bought mine direct from Ellis, paid a bit more but saved big on shipping (to Alaska) I have tried other blades and have decided I like the Ellis the best, also buy direct.
                          Hi TJ!
                          Strange, I called Ellis this morning and talked to a Rick. He didn’t seem too interested in giving me a quote. But asked if I was familiar with a certain welding supply in my general area. The closest one is about 55-minutes away, but I was going that direction anyway so I went by to take a looks see, never seeing an Ellis personally. After kicking the tires, and 3 to 4 walk-a-ways towards the pickup I bought an 1800 for 29-dollars over my best Internet quote. Now this is the bare bones version, no air, no screw vice, no table, and no pipe vice. Rick at Ellis told me if I buy the screw vice I would not need the pipe vice. Any opinions on this? I’ll unload, and uncrate it tomorrow and giver her a try. Are you Ellis owners happy with the cam vice? Or is that something I’ll throw out back and order a screw vice?
                          Thunderbolt
                          Spud wrench
                          Bull prick
                          BFH
                          As FogHorn LegHorn says:
                          “That’s a joke son!”

Comment

I have the 1600 and I'm real happy with it. The cam vise is ok but nothing special. Tubing will roll in it, but you can get it tight enough to hold.
                            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by J hall View Post
                              I have the 1600 and I'm real happy with it. The cam vise is ok but nothing special. Tubing will roll in it, but you can get it tight enough to hold.
                              I get the impression that if you had it to do over again you would buy the screw vice, is this true?

Out of all the sites I have book marked no one list the price for a screw vice. Guess I can always go through the welding supply I bought the saw at!
                              Do you have any links to on line suppliers for Ellis options?
                              Thunderbolt
                              Spud wrench
                              Bull prick
                              BFH
                              As FogHorn LegHorn says:
                              “That’s a joke son!”

Comment

Working...
                              X