regulator away from the bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regulator away from the bottle

a quick question. usually you would hook up your oxygen regulator right to the oxygen bottle is it possible to use a an oxygen hose from the bottle to the regulator if i want to have the regulator in my cabinet?
    2003 Dodge Cummins
    Vantage 400
    ProStar tig torch

It is possible to run a "hose" to a regulator that is away from the tank. We do it often in the dive industry. Most of the time it is done with hard pipe as opposed to a hose since the "hose" must withstand HP gas usually up to 3000psi even though O2 is rarely above 2400psi. You can get special HP hoses that are O2 rated, but they get pricey pretty quick if you need more than a short length. Most that I have seen regularly, are about 12" in length and are used to hook the bottle up to the hard line going to the regulator. What ever you do, be sure the pipe or hose is cleaned for O2 service. HP O2 and dust, dirt, and oils is asking for trouble fast.

Good luck.

Comment

This is also done for manifold purposes, so the proper hoses are available. An industrial hose supply should have all the proper gear for you and show you what connectors to use. As mentioned, often hard rated lines are used for longer, non-vibrating runs.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
        This is also done for manifold purposes, so the proper hoses are available. An industrial hose supply should have all the proper gear for you and show you what connectors to use. As mentioned, often hard rated lines are used for longer, non-vibrating runs.
        Just be sure that they know its for 100% O2 and know what they are talking about. I build HP O2 systems all the time. I get my parts from an industrial hose supplier, but they have no idea about working with 100% O2. It took me forever to convince them NOT to lube my fittings with oil! "I understand its harder to assemble but oil and O2 are bad!" Not all hoses are compatible for O2 use also. Trying to get O2 clean gauges for them is impossible, all they work with is hydraulic systems and they don't understand the need for O2 clean parts.

If you can't find anyone to help you PM me. I'm hesitant to make any recommendations because if you don't have it clean you could have a major problem. Having known one person killed by an O2 explosion, believed to have been caused by contaminants introduced into the HP side of the O2 system, and having spent a week in the burn ward when an O2 booster malfunctioned and I was at ground zero, I want to be sure no one gets hurt do to lack of cleaning for O2.

Comment

As DSW said; remember that you're dealing with bottle pressure (2000+ lbs).
          RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DSW View Post
            Just be sure that they know its for 100% O2 and know ... NOT to lube my fittings with oil! ...
            YES! Thank you for reminding us!

Comment

This is not generally a good idea for home shops. Is not something i would want unless I really needed it, I would want a standard setup, come up with a mod to a cabinet or another setup.

Comment

could he have a regulator at the tank to drop the PSI for the run then a second one to set it where he wants it ?? or would that be impractical ?i would rather run the line at 50 to 100 PSI and fine tune it, then try to run a 2000 PSI line. might be an option ?? what do you all think ?? would it cause volume issues if used for cutting ??
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

fun4now It would be posible but impractical. Finding a LP regulator the would be good for O2 will not be that simple. The one I have seen most are used in hospital applications and I doubt you get enough pressure for cutting. The cost would also most likely be prohibitive.

The question comes down to why he wants to do this. If he is looking to store the bottles away from the workarea, then a "manifold" style system with the remote mounted reg might make sense.

Comment

I have seen guys install the regulators ( oxygen and Acetylene) in a toolbox on there trucks. Always wondered what it take to install them correctly.
                    sigpic
                    Miller Trailblazer 302
                    Miller 12 RC wire feeder
                    Miller HF 251D-1
                    Miller 175 wire feed

Comment

I've seen dozens, probably close to a hundred tucks set up with remote regulators.
                      I've done quite a bit of work over the last 15 years for one of the largest contractors in the world and they have that setup on all of their service trucks. They buy the hoses from the welding supply. They mount the regulators to the back wall of the service body cabinet and run the steel braided, high pressure hose from the bottle to the regulator.

Ask your welding supply, and if they can't help you I know that Praxair carries them.

JTMcC.
                      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Working...
                      X