Gas Welding links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Welding links

I have a Maxstar 150 set up as a TIG, Occasionally I want to weld Al, and I have A gas welder, and wondered if there are any good links out there for gas welders. Forums, home pages, flux recipees, etc... I have a good handle on commercial suppliers (as far as I know), but attempts to find good info have not be rewarding.

Thanks

so what are u looking for? a gmaw machine or the wire? there are lots of good guys on here with info and can help u out. Lincoln welding has a good web site for rods and wire, there are many out there but dont now cuz my lws is great and have had no problems iwth wire or rod.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Comment

I'm looking for Acetalyne/Oxygen links, not gas shielded electric welding. It's off topic, but I imagine some people here would do both kinds.

I'm also interested in DC stick info for aluminum. I always thought you could only AC Stick Aluminum, but apparently DC was comon years ago, don't know if the supplies are still available though.

Comment

yes they still make dc alum rods, had to do a pressure weld last year with them (could not use tig for some reason)these rods are the hardest rod i have ever used.Eagle alloy is the brand i have in my tool box but i imagine there are other company's out there that make them. the only rod that i have used for oxy/acty. welding is silver solder and brazing rod, all others i have seen and use are bare rod, look just like tig rod but different additives in the rod. what u looking at welding with your torch?
        trail blazer 302
        hypertherm plasma
        millermatic 251
        high feq. arc starter
        suit case (extreme 12vs)
        o/a torches
        way to many other tools to list

Comment

Aluminum welding

Originally posted by Gaslight View Post
          I'm looking for Acetalyne/Oxygen links, not gas shielded electric welding. It's off topic, but I imagine some people here would do both kinds.

I'm also interested in DC stick info for aluminum. I always thought you could only AC Stick Aluminum, but apparently DC was comon years ago, don't know if the supplies are still available though.

Dont worry I have you covered!

www.tinmantech.com is Kent Whites site devoted to metalworking and aluminum torch welding.

www.metalmeet.com is a good community of professional sheet metal workers, so that of course means a lot of gas welding as well.

Gas welding Aluminum is alive and well in the aircraft restoration, and professional car restoration areas.

Filler metals for fusion welding are the same for Gas as they are for Tig, if someone tells you otherwise they have no idea what they are talking about. Many times brazing rods are sold as welding filler....be aware, the guy selling amsoil, 3-in-1 filler rod, and sunglasses out of a rusty '86 Chevy van, may not be a good source of information.

If you want some specific help shoot me a PM and ill give you my contact information. I do quite a lot of torch welding and do teach it as well.

-Aaron
          "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
          Miller Dynasty 200DX
          Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
          Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
          Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Aaron, thanks for the links...very cool!
            sigpic...John

Dynasty 200DX
            Lincoln SP135 Plus
            Victor O/A outfit
            Dewalt chop saw

US Navy '65-'69
            Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
            USS Intrepid '67

Comment

I was waiting for Aaron to chime in. Don't PM too much, i love a good OAW discussion.
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Millermatic 175
              Spectrum 375
              All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

ESAB has a good, dated book

I too enjoy Oxy Acetylene. Hobart welds has a section in their forum for gas welding questions. The ESAB book is available from Welding Supply I think. It's ashame most community colleges dont teach any or much gas welding anymore.

Comment

Working...
                X