Back-gasing on Stainless Steel TIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by man of steel View Post
    hey guys i noticed some of the advice going on in here, and not to be a smart a$$ but i am a proffesional welding contractor and am a very consistent stainless and exotic metals spe******t (at least thats what they tell me when they want me to weld at the nuclear facilities and aero space industries that i service, pointer #1 peter argon is heavier than oxygen so i dont understand why you put it in at a low point and exhaust out a high point, can be done but will cause alot of turbulence till o2 is cleared, and i dont recommend using the same bottle to purge and supply your torch , ok i guess if you dont mind looking like a bush league player but youd never be allowed on one of my jobsites, but again if its not critical you can always grind your welds out and deal with the inconsistent pressures and issues youll experience, just get rid of any possible variable and let your welds show your skills off. in my opiunion if you cant do something right , dont do it unless you run mickey mouse welding inc, proffesional gear gets you proffesional results good luck guys
    I'm soooo happy for you that you're considered a spe******t

We're talking about an EXHAUST HEADER here not nuke pipework or a sanitary line. Wasting money on a second argon tank, O2 meters and excessive flow rates is as dumb as not using an O2 meter for sanitary/aerospace work in my book

If you'd read what i posted you would have seen that i hinted at the shortcomings of checking a purge with a lighter and STATED that this method wouldn't cut it for critical work

I'll say it again, in this case we're talking about CAR EXHAUST HEADERS, all that's required of the purge is to prevent coking/sugaring of the ID. A little blueing (which shouldn't occur anyway if it's done right) doesn't matter one bit since operating temps are going to cause the header surfaces to oxidise anyway!

Everyone agrees that argon is denser than both O2 and air (relative density of Ar, 1.38). Argon will displace air from the bottom of an enclosed space upwards!

If purging a stainless tank then the purge exit NEEDS to be at a high point or air will become trapped. Granted the entry could be at a high point too but while that's fine for a largish tank it's not really practical for an exhaust header. Thought this would be obvious, even to an internet spe******t

Comment

Originally posted by StillBoostin View Post
      Where do you buy this stuff from, or do you just make it. Do I need another Argon tank and regulator? Or just make a vacuum chamber and fill it with argon. I'm being serious. I have to have manifolds that won't break or crack under extreme heat 1600+deg F ie: Turbo cars. I've been doing alot of reading but I've had no success. A little help please.

James
      Simple...... Victor DFM150-580 DUAL FLOW REGULATOR p/n0781-1153

http://www.ramweldingsupply.com/prod....mcic?c=128&m=

Griff
      Last edited by griff01; 05-11-2008, 07:31 AM. Reason: adding link

Comment

i wasnt being rude but

if you had a clue about proceedures and it shouldnt matter if its nuke or exhaust headers(even though i would think buddy pushing a turbo charged engine would want a good weld done on his race cars exhaust manifold but instead of doing things right its easier just to drop your spe******t comments, well let me tell you you probably have your mom in your corner thinking your special peter but i dont think so , here i call it retard. and the other comment from a guy i remember when he began posting and asking the stupidest questions i ever came across has suddenly become a spe******t in handing out advice (you know birds of a feather flock togeather )im here to offer advice and to help others as i have been shown by my peers, so i dont really appreciate your bull**** attempt at pretending what you think you know,show me how your welds pass x ray or even look for that matter cause i can guarantee that you cant hold a candle to my worst guy let alone even stand in the same room with me ,wannabees

Comment

It sounds like you a great welder. I listen to everyone's comment and suggestions. But it doesn't mean I follow through with every comments. I would consider myself a little smarter then the "Average Joe," and I don't hold onto everyones' word as gospel. I was going to buy a second bottle and regulator anyways(Hate running out in the middle of a project).

The bladders and the pipe plugs look like great ideas. How could I make them myself. It doesn't look hard. Just a PVC and 2 o-rings with a fitting in them. I would buy their stuff if it is cheap enough. Can't see spending a lot of cash on something so simple looking.What do you guys think?

James
          Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
          WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
          Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
          20Ton press
          And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
          www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

james

if you want to save money dont bother with the bladders, if you use some good tape you should be able to seal off any area that you need to to keep your area purged.

Comment

laiky peter and fun4now

these are proceedures that have been drawn up by a gentleman on my staff that happens to be a welding engineer that has done work in many nuke facilities around the world as well as the aerospace industry as well as nasa,so if you dont understand this and have typed huh and need an explanation,or am i missing something ? i would have to say yes you are missing something and you wouldnt get it if you tried,by the way has nasa ordered any satelite buddies and how many lmao? did you purge them from the bottom with a t or y connector?relations should refrain from procreating i always say lmao, are yall related?

Comment

Originally posted by man of steel View Post
                if you had a clue about proceedures and it shouldnt matter if its nuke or exhaust headers(even though i would think buddy pushing a turbo charged engine would want a good weld done on his race cars exhaust manifold but instead of doing things right its easier just to drop your spe******t comments, well let me tell you you probably have your mom in your corner thinking your special peter but i dont think so , here i call it retard. and the other comment from a guy i remember when he began posting and asking the stupidest questions i ever came across has suddenly become a spe******t in handing out advice (you know birds of a feather flock togeather )im here to offer advice and to help others as i have been shown by my peers, so i dont really appreciate your bull**** attempt at pretending what you think you know,show me how your welds pass x ray or even look for that matter cause i can guarantee that you cant hold a candle to my worst guy let alone even stand in the same room with me ,wannabees
                WOW!

The OP has gotten ideas for several ways of purging so this is all mute now really. With this being the internet an all, hopefully 'StillBoostin' will run a couple of practice coupons to verify parameters and ensure his chosen method works

I thought the idea of this place was help out others with ideas, knowledge and techniques- similar sentiments to the PM i received from you (without the expletive though). Neither of your posts in this topic seem to contain anything like that though- just you bragging about your abilities and bashing me

If you want to present a reasoned argument as to why a precise flow from a dedicated purge tank is so important (when the only thing that matters is the O2 content in the purged volume) then i'm all ears...

Curiously this 'bush league playing retard' is the only one to have mentioned an O2 meter (and i still maintain it's overkill for this application unless you happen to already own one)

How do you feel about the purpose made dual outlet/dual flow meters that were mentioned a few posts ago? Or have Victor, Smith and all the other manufacturers got it wrong?

No comments on my description of purging a tank?

From your PM i take it you didn't get/like my reference to sanitary piping? Why? It's work that requires no root discolouration (either at all or not beyond light straw) and therefore requires more attention to the purge than a car exhaust (as does nuke and aerospace work). NOTE, i'm not talking about weld quality just purge quality with regard to O2 levels

Maybe we should weld all stainless as though we're taking a duplex g48 corrosion test. Yep, that'll ensure that the stainless retains it's maximum corrosion resitance- at least until the engine is run in anger and the header is exposed to temps of around 1600F .

Wait a minute, 'FIT FOR PURPOSE' i'm sure i've heard that phrase mentioned before. If we work to a standard WAY higher than is necessary then all our products will become more expensive. In this global economy we live in that will mean fewer sales, business going bust and people buying more cheap imports.

I'm done with this exchange now, call me what you want but leave my recently deceased mother out of it

Comment

In all things you select the methods and materials to the task.
                  It is good to have learned weldors offering up informative information and helpful hints and methods and there are some here. I listen and learn from many.
                  The dumbest question is the one never asked.
                  Last edited by Vicegrip; 05-09-2008, 01:18 PM.
                  Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

I'm still waiting for an explanation, "because the welding engineer says so" and "your an unskilled moron" doesn't count.

Please explain why you NEED 2 tanks, and why you need to put the purge gas in the top?

I did infact only ask you to explain, stating that, to my knowledge your statements made no sense.

I thank you for the personal attack though, its not often we find out how insecure self proclaimed experts are so quickly.
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Millermatic 175
                    Spectrum 375
                    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

laiky

insecure?ere you dropped on your head at birth ,put me in a room with your old lady and see whos insecure,spare the bull**** cracks we are here to help new welders and you both seen to think you have a brain between the 2 of you , still bet you couldnt weld yourselves a bucket to hold water ,and did someone read that article to you aboutcorrosion or did you just get it off the net and type it over,enough said,drop it

Comment

I opt out

User CP page.

Bottom left:
                        Miscellaneous

Buddy / Ignore Lists

Gee, that was easy.
                        RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                        sigpic

Comment

To the original question: Block off all openings, insert hose, turn on gas flow, make small exit hole on far end from hose, just enough flow to feel it coming out of the hole, wait a couple minutes, weld.
                          It takes very little flow after the O2 is displaced to maintain the purge.

To the spec%#@%$t: I guess I should call TVA and tell them the welds made at Watts bar should be cut out and repaired since a Y was used on the argon tank. ha ha good one.

Comment

mooseeye?

is that a shot at me? do i know you?

Comment

*edit*

I think I'll make up some stuff and post pics to help the next person who needs help with the same question. I'm pretty ingenious, so if you give me some good ideas to brain storm I can come up with some great tools.
                              James
                              Last edited by StillBoostin; 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM.
                              Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                              WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                              Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                              20Ton press
                              And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                              www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

hey james

thanks for the vote of confidence, but dont you go talking trash about my teddy lol(thats a joke) look guys i am an adult and would like to apologize for the rude comments displayed here, i have during my years learning this trade have been also corrected rather harshly and tend to crack the whip like my teachers did with me(and honestly if you can get over the sarcasm etc it made me alot better at what i do than i ever could have imagined on my own,and to be honest , i just like to pass it along just as i got it , harshly but for free, so lets all sit down and have a cold one and get back to what this site is all about, and i believe thats making fun of each other, just kidding it is about helping each other so have a good one and GOD bless

Comment

Working...
                                X