200DX or HTP 201?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200DX or HTP 201?

Is the Miller worth $800. or $900. more than the HTP 201. I am very close to buying. This will be used on Alum for the most part.
    [XMT 350MPa , XR Feeder & Aluma Pro gun , Dynasty 200DX]

For my money it is that's for sure.

#1...Made in USA!!!!!
    #2...able to use any voltage
    #3...brand recognition=higher resale value
    #4...warranty service and support all over the country

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Hmmm.....I re-read your sig...you already knew the answer didn't you
      And you also nothing looks better in a shop than a shiny BLUE machine
      As oppossed to the off brand Italian one and the constant wondering if you should have or would have been happier with buying a Miller.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

HTP and Daytona have poor service

A family member has an older daytona MIG and if I remember correctly these are marketed by the same people. The construction is flimsy and after sale service is slow and hard to come by. I work with Lincolns and own and have owned 3 Millers. I have had no problems (except operator caused) with Millers. Check the duty cycle on the two brands also.

Comment

KKM,

Probably a more common question would be "is there a xxx$ difference between a Thermal Arc Arcmaster 200 (about $2300 complete from IOC) and a Dynasty 200DX.

Only the user can really answer the question, based on your requirements.
          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
          Hobart HH187
          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
          More grinders than hands

Comment

Well it looks like it is not worth the chance trying to save a few $. This is what I come up with now. Dynasty DX power unit only. Best price so far $2663. Miller RCCS-14 finger control. Weld craft torch. This will add about $350. I have everything else so do not need the complete kit. What would be a great air cooled torch for this setup ? This will be used for 1/8 to 3/16 aluminum.
            Kevin

Comment

If you got a few extra dollars, and you don't plan on taking it onto job sites. I would get from IOC(Indiana Oxygen Co.) on Ebay the Weldtec(Bernard) water cooled torch and cooler. It is about $560, so your getting the cooler for about $400 and the torch for $160. I felt this was the best bang for my buck. Hope this helps you.

James
              Last edited by StillBoostin; 05-05-2008, 09:30 PM.
              Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
              WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
              Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
              20Ton press
              And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
              www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

check out SCS

another great way to save a few $$ to help off-set the higher price of the Dyn200 id to go with an SCS foot control. high quality, better feel in meny opinion. and only $164 in chrome with blue no slip sheet or $159 in black. i recommend the chrome, its way cool looking.
                these guys make the standard foot control for the TA's. i ordered one when i was about to get my Dyn 200 and got one when i got my TA-185. the e-bay version is a bit nicer than my TA's . its a great foot control, many here use them and recommend them. you can also get a nice weld-craft torch setup off e-bay for $50 or less if you take a little time and set your self a bid limit. i got mine for $36+$7.50 shipping. all you need is a #17 torch and you are good to go.
                there are no down sides to getting the Dyn200DX once you get past the $$. and if you look at the $$ over the time you will have it, its not so bad. like any thing else its just the pain of the upfront $$ that gets you. a year from now you will have forgotten all about the $$ and just be welding away happy as a clam.

FWIW: finger controls are harder to learn on than the foot control. check out the SCS controls. http://stores.ebay.com/SSC-Controls-Company

and congrats on the new welder, enjoy.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by KKM View Post
                  Well it looks like it is not worth the chance trying to save a few $. This is what I come up with now. Dynasty DX power unit only. Best price so far $2663. Miller RCCS-14 finger control. Weld craft torch. This will add about $350. I have everything else so do not need the complete kit. What would be a great air cooled torch for this setup ? This will be used for 1/8 to 3/16 aluminum.
                  Kevin
                  KKM...Seriously I am telling you do not waste your money on that fingertip controller. You will freeking hate it.
                  I'm about one of the only guys on here that pushes them at all and that particular one is as unusable as it gets. Get the RCC-14 (east-west) and you will be able to weld good with it quickly. And it is $10 less money also. It will also strap on much higher up on the torch if you wish which is a ton nicer. Best deal would be buy both and send back the one you don't like if you can get them to agree to that deal.
                  I wish you lived close to me...I would have you RUN MY setup and then you could KNOW what I mean!!!
                  Also a #26 torch with the STUBBY collet set-up is more user friendly than a #17 torch and does not get nearly as hot either. That way you use the short cups like the water cooled torches. You can use the same stubby collet on the #17 BTW but it just gets hotter but it would be even more lightweight. I do not think a #17 is adequate for a 200 amp machine..it is only rated for 150 and tig is too slow of a process esp. on aluminum to not expect it to get hot.
                  Ebay does have killer deals on torches but it is easy to get the wrong thing...do your research!!

I DO use my Dynasty everyday BTW to make my living as I have my own aluminum welding biz. The Dynasty covers the majority of what comes into my realm.
                  It is a great machine for the money. The next choice for me would have been the Lincoln V-205-T because of the dual voltage. I do use that feature often enuff to justify it. It truly rocks and the cheaper machines don't have that either. You can weld in locations that only a generator could have done a few years ago. When I first got mine I only welded on 115v everywhere for awhile just because it was so cool. It's amazing what it takes to pop breakers sometimes.
                  For ME it is the best welder on earth ...BANG FOR THE BUCKWISE

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

FusionKing ?
                    why would you say the #17 is not adequate for a 200amp machine ?? with torches rated at 100% the #17 is higher rated than the Dyn200 is 100 A at 14 V, 100% Duty Cycle. i understand it will get hot if used heavily, but this is the nature of the beast with air cooled torches is it not.
                    not trying to make trouble, just trying to understand your thinking ?
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                    JAMES

Comment

FusionKing, Here is the whole deal. This tig will be used on my 44' aluminum fishing boat. It has a tuna tower that I will be doing a a lot of tig work on. I will need to climb up in the bars and do some of the tiging there , also the window framing on the outside can not be done with the foot control. Inside I could use one for some of it. The complete flybridge that is in clear plastic now will be changed to a hard top with glass windows. I need to find out the best hand control for the torch. For the long runs and the .250 plate I will use my mig gun for that. The window framing will be with 1/8 and 3/16 wall square tubing. I will use the tig for this. Should a water cooled torch be used instead of the air cooled torch? I can take my time on the framing as the pieces need to be cut one at a time. Will the air cooled torch get to hot in just 4"-5" tiging 3/16 aluminum. It does not look like this forum will let me buy anything but Miller , and thats ok with me. Thanks for your help on this.
                      Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                        FusionKing ?
                        why would you say the #17 is not adequate for a 200amp machine ?? with torches rated at 100% the #17 is higher rated than the Dyn200 is 100 A at 14 V, 100% Duty Cycle. i understand it will get hot if used heavily, but this is the nature of the beast with air cooled torches is it not.
                        not trying to make trouble, just trying to understand your thinking ?
                        Whoa...somebody is reading my stuff...ha!

Just take that wimpy little #17 out on a job welding 3/16-1/4" and have the machine set on max and then just set down on it for about 10 rods.
                        Then do the same thing with a #26. To me it's a no brainer. Your hands a lot less hot. The lead on a #17 is not nearly as heavy either.
                        A #17 might be just wonderful on a 100 amp job tho I just do not feel like changing leads to do 150 amp+ work. Screw the numbers man the Dynasty will run all day but it will literally melt a torch that is too small.
                        I could see a person who watched the duty cycle closely getting away with a torch like that if you welded 2 minutes and then let it cool for 8
                        Simply put a 26 is a more heavy duty torch and I think the Dynasty is under rated anyway YMMV

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Originally posted by KKM View Post
                          FusionKing, Here is the whole deal. This tig will be used on my 44' aluminum fishing boat. It has a tuna tower that I will be doing a a lot of tig work on. I will need to climb up in the bars and do some of the tiging there , also the window framing on the outside can not be done with the foot control. Inside I could use one for some of it. The complete flybridge that is in clear plastic now will be changed to a hard top with glass windows. I need to find out the best hand control for the torch. For the long runs and the .250 plate I will use my mig gun for that. The window framing will be with 1/8 and 3/16 wall square tubing. I will use the tig for this. Should a water cooled torch be used instead of the air cooled torch? I can take my time on the framing as the pieces need to be cut one at a time. Will the air cooled torch get to hot in just 4"-5" tiging 3/16 aluminum. It does not look like this forum will let me buy anything but Miller , and thats ok with me. Thanks for your help on this.
                          Kevin
                          If you was doing this as a mfg. I would say you needed a bigger machine to start with... then the air/water cooled thing would be a no brainer. In fact you maybe should look at a syncro 250 anyways. The complexity of the joints could be dictating a bigger machine.
                          I love the way a 200 Dynasty can make a puddle so fast and as long as you are doing as what you descibed you should be fine. It will do a lot more for sure and it is very portable as well.
                          I understand you want the best hand controller because you cannot use a foot one. 90% of what I do is marine also and I NEVER use a foot control these days even tho I have one on the Airco. The North - south controller cannot be backed down from it's higher setting to off in one stroke...you must stroke it over again. This requires you to do this while ending your weld and you are thinking about it more than you want to making your work look like crap!! When you use a foot pedal you stop instantly just by lifting your foot. You cannot even come close to this action with the north-south unit Miller sells. The east-west is much faster action and can go from lowest to highest setting in one stroke which allows you to go from max setting to nothing with a "flick" of the thumb. You cannot do that with the north-south if your life depended on it.
                          Next choice would be a momentary switch. Once the technique is aquired it is the preferred wayt to MAKE tuna towers and the like. It just welds at whatever the welder is set at. The Dynasty has a very wide range of settings made to use this very set-up as well described in the owners manual.
                          I have the "button" rigged on my Airco and it rules and I love it.

Simply put...I think Millers reccomendation of the #17 torch is too rinky-dink and the north-south controller is just plain JUNK. They sell the #26 torch and the east-west controller so it's not like you would be getting way out there ...just their better stuff

As for water cooled, Heck yea it's WAY nicer. I would get a coolmate 4 myself. I use a 50ft lead on all my stuff, water or air. I just feel like a water cooler would restrict the mobility of my Dynasty so I use the heaviest air cooled torch I can and then customize it with the shorter collet body/cup combo. It reqires a shorter insulater as well. It is a set-up listed everywhere...nothing secret about it, just not a standard combo. I use the RCC-14 east west 25 footer with a 25 ft extension as well.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Your not alone FuisionKing, I work at a production shop and we have 10 guys welding aluminum all day every day. All of our tigs are either Dynasty 300 or 350's and the all run #26 air cooled torches with RCC-14 east west fingertip controls. I'm not sure why everyone else has it out for the fingertip controls but every new welder we train starts with no more than basic carbon steel mig skills and within a matter of a ten hour day blossoms into an aluminum tig welder.

I like the #26 torch so much I recently picked one up off of ebay to use on my CST 280 form my home projects. Now I just need to get myself a RCC-14 (although I was amazed how well the lift arc works on carbon steel). If I had the cash I'd be all over the Dynasty 200 ... anyone want to make a trade?! A mint shape CST 280 and some cash for a Dynasty 200? Maybe someone out there has one of those junky east west RCC-14's that they want to get rid of. P.m. me for my shipping address and I'll pay the freight!
                            at home:
                            2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                            2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                            2008 Suitcase 12RC
                            Spoolmatic 30A
                            WC-24
                            2009 Dynasty 200DX
                            2000 XMT 304
                            2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                            Sold:MM130XP
                            Sold:MM 251
                            Sold:CST 280

at work:
                            Invision 350MP
                            Dynasty 350
                            Millermatic 350P
                            Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                              another great way to save a few $$ to help off-set the higher price of the Dyn200 id to go with an SCS foot control. high quality, better feel in meny opinion. and only $164 in chrome with blue no slip sheet or $159 in black. i recommend the chrome, its way cool looking.
                              these guys make the standard foot control for the TA's. i ordered one when i was about to get my Dyn 200 and got one when i got my TA-185. the e-bay version is a bit nicer than my TA's . its a great foot control, many here use them and recommend them. you can also get a nice weld-craft torch setup off e-bay for $50 or less if you take a little time and set your self a bid limit. i got mine for $36+$7.50 shipping. all you need is a #17 torch and you are good to go.
                              there are no down sides to getting the Dyn200DX once you get past the $$. and if you look at the $$ over the time you will have it, its not so bad. like any thing else its just the pain of the upfront $$ that gets you. a year from now you will have forgotten all about the $$ and just be welding away happy as a clam.

FWIW: finger controls are harder to learn on than the foot control. check out the SCS controls. http://stores.ebay.com/SSC-Controls-Company

and congrats on the new welder, enjoy.
                              I just bought it friday night. I'll have it 5/7 Wend. Good Advice.
                              Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                              WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                              Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                              20Ton press
                              And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                              www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Working...
                              X