millermatic 252

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• millermatic 252

Just picked up this unit, and I like it.

Two things though for Miller, some constructive criticism.

1. Unit comes with this looong 15 ft. gun lead. But the negative clamp is only about 6 ft. long. No biggy just would be nice to have the negative side as long as the gun lead.

2. On the front of the machine below the control panel there is this nifty little flip down storage compartment, although, it takes an act of congress and a pry bar to open it up.

Other than that, I am quite happy with the machine.

The quality of the machine shows, I have had a few other mig machines and this by far has much better quality, than any of the rest.

One curious side note, when I was purchasing the machine, there was a lincoln equivalent machine next to it their 255 model. and I swear the lincoln weighed 50-75 lbs more than the miller.

What gives there?

The sales person tried to tell me that heavier is better and was trying to lean me towards the lincoln.

No thanks, I told him my mind was made up. I had already owned (past tense) several lincoln's, and still own one other miller tig machine, and miller is the only brand I'll be buying in the future.
    Last edited by FoxPerformance; 04-15-2008, 06:16 PM.
    Ben Fox
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com

Miller Dynasty 300 SD
    Millermatic 130
    MillerMatic 252
    Jet Lathe
    Jet Mill
    Rottler SG7 seat and guide machine

I also bought a 252 about a month ago, I think it is a great machine. I would agree with that little hatch on the front, mine is also very hard to open.

Comment

I thought the wrie drive looked less durable the Lincoln's. That and a couple other things caused me to buy a PM-255C.
      And I am one happy camper.
      Attached Files
      Jeff

Comment

IIRC, Miller started using aluminum wound transformers in their 212/252's. That could certainly account for the weight difference.
        Dynasty 350DX
        Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
        MM 350P
        MM Passport Plus
        Spectrum 375 Extreme
        08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

so are the 251 made of copper

Comment

Ben, I bought a 251 2 years ago and am TOTALLY in love with it!!!!!!!
            KB Fab: aww....shaddup
            I'm not late...
            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Originally posted by FoxPerformance View Post
              Just picked up this unit, and I like it.

Two things though for Miller, some constructive criticism.

1. Unit comes with this looong 15 ft. gun lead. But the negative clamp is only about 6 ft. long. No biggy just would be nice to have the negative side as long as the gun lead.

2. On the front of the machine below the control panel there is this nifty little flip down storage compartment, although, it takes an act of congress and a pry bar to open it up.

Other than that, I am quite happy with the machine.

The quality of the machine shows, I have had a few other mig machines and this by far has much better quality, than any of the rest.

One curious side note, when I was purchasing the machine, there was a lincoln equivalent machine next to it their 255 model. and I swear the lincoln weighed 50-75 lbs more than the miller.

What gives there?

The sales person tried to tell me that heavier is better and was trying to lean me towards the lincoln.

No thanks, I told him my mind was made up. I had already owned (past tense) several lincoln's, and still own one other miller tig machine, and miller is the only brand I'll be buying in the future.

I agree, the negative is too short, anf that **** tray is a pita, other than that, its an awesome machine. At first, I thought the **** thing was made wrong, because I couldnt open the front tray until I pryed it, now at least I see it's not just me having difficulty...
              Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
              2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
              sigpic

Comment

We have two of them at work and I love them. I too have problems with the compartment on the front being hard to open, and the ground could stand to be a bit longer, but other than that great machines. We also have two 251s and they are nice too but I really like the angled face and longer gun lead of the 252.
                At Home
                Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
                Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
                Craftsman Hand Tools
                Craftsman Cordless Drills

DeWalt Angle Grinder
                1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
                1980 Ford F150 Custom
                1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

At Work
                Miller Bobcat 250
                2 Miller MM251s
                2 Miller MM252s
                Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
                Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
                Victor Torches

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Proud American Ham KE5TJA

Comment

front tray

I think it is the same front tray that is on my 350p. the tray on mine is crappy and feels like it is going to break of when I open it. I have to force it open and when it does open it pops very loudly. I thought I broke it the first time I opened it. Yes I do think the lead is a little short, but I measured it and the lead is the same length as my lincoln's lead.

Comment

Working...
                  X