Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats your take on dry cut circular saws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MIKEDOGG View Post
    I Have Been On This Forum For Only A Few Weeks And I See That A Lot Of You Mother ****ers Out There Are Just Stirring Up **** And Thats All Cool But Thats Not What I Am Here For. I Am Simply Putting My Advice Out There For Respectful People And If You Disagree, Good For You. As For Plasma Consumables Yeah They Are Not Cheap But With The Right Machine, Operator, And Settings Excellent Cuts Can Be Made Cheaply, Efficiently And With Minimal Material Waste Due To A Little Thing Called Material Nesting. Obviously, If You Dont Have The Bucks To Shell Out For A Plasma Or The Need For Such Great Piece Generation, Yeah, Like I Said Buy The God **** Saw And Go Through Some Blades Bud.
    You crack me up, man.

What kind of work do you guys put out in SoCal? I'm down in San Diego.

I don't own one of those saws, mainly because I don't think I can endure the scream. I just order anything over 16 ga. pre-sheared, but I understand that a lot of guys out there are in more rural areas or need to cut stuff while on the run.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

It isn't a matter of having to cut on the run. I can have stuff precut as well...but that will add lots and lots of time to a job as well as extra cost. I use mine the most on metal building work. I can cut my own purlins and beams without having to wait 3-6 weeks for the precuts to be done for me. I keep the extra money for the cutting and use it as I see fit. The thing is great in the shop for cutting large sheets and large flats. Until I get a bigger bandsaw, that is its job. This type of saw is more of a filed saw and job specific type of saw. It is definitely not a production saw nor is it a "do it all" saw.

The saw does have its drawbacks. Radius cuts would be difficult...but could be done I believe. personally, I wouldn't want to try it. If you don't pay attention to the cut, feed and the drop, yes, you will eat blades. A little training and FOLLOW THROUGH goes a long way. My monkeys know that if I catch them screwing up and not giving a crap about the tools or the work, they are toast...so I know from whence I speak in that regard too.

To say they should not be used categorically.....no, I won't agree with that ever. Every saw has its place. This type definitely has its uses. Will it do it all...No, not effectively, would be my answer. It would work best along with a plasma, dry cut chopsaw, bandsaw and whatever else you have. It adds a great deal of versatility to the operation.
      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
      '06 12RC feeder
      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
      Esab Multimaster 260
      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

I Have Been On This Forum For Only A Few Weeks And I See That A Lot Of You Mother ****ers Out There Are Just Stirring Up **** And Thats All Cool But Thats Not What I Am Here For. I Am Simply Putting My Advice Out There For Respectful People And If You Disagree, Good For You. As For Plasma Consumables Yeah They Are Not Cheap But With The Right Machine, Operator, And Settings Excellent Cuts Can Be Made Cheaply, Efficiently And With Minimal Material Waste Due To A Little Thing Called Material Nesting. Obviously, If You Dont Have The Bucks To Shell Out For A Plasma Or The Need For Such Great Piece Generation, Yeah, Like I Said Buy The God **** Saw And Go Through Some Blades Bud.
        Why don't you take yourself and your foul mouth somewhere else. We try to have civil discussions here and your kind of input is not valued. Calling people names is not the way to gain respect here. So clean up your act and you're welcome here. Otherwise shut your pie hole.
        Nick
        Miller 252 Mig
        Miller Cricket XL
        Millermatic 150 Mig
        Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
        2-O/A outfits
        Jet Lathe and Mill
        Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
        DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
        Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
        20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
        Propane Forge
        60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
        Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
        and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

I didn't realize I was stirring you up mikey. I was just stating some very clear facts about how the two methods of cutting are vastly different to one another and neither is particularly "free."

Now if I wanted to cut a hole or circle in expanded steel, I'd choose the plasma without a second thought to it.

If I wanted to cut some 1" plate, it would probably be the plasma again, unless edge quality and squareness were paramount to speed of cut. My 8" milwaukee will do 1" - but it will take longer than 1/2" (same thing can be said about plasma).
          Syncrowave 250DX
          Invison 354MP
          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
          Smith O/A rig
          And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Wow sounds like someone needs a time out. I left car forum cause of a$$es like you Mikey. Grow up and learn how to type. Capitalizing the first letter of ever word is rude and ignorant. Not to mention difficult to read. If you so anger type in all caps, so we can all laugh. Is Cali that stressful. I though it would be a nice place to visit and relax. Guess I was wrong.

James

STIRRING THE POT.
            Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
            WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
            Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
            20Ton press
            And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
            www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Hey Mikey,

You list a lot of equipment in your signature. Didn't you forget to list the clamps you use? Ar the vicegrips?

You do seem a little light in the plasma area though. Didn't realize snap-on made such a kick butt machine for the heavy duty work you do.
              Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
              Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
              Hobart HH187
              Dialarc 250 AC/DC
              Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
              Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
              PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
              Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
              Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
              More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by heshunseshun View Post
                two part question:

A) to anyone who has used a dry cut circular saw, How are they? drawbacks? I have a drycut chopsaw and its great for me. Im thinking of selling my plasma to my buddy and replacing it with a milwaukee dry cut. Do they handle 1/4- 3/8 plate well?

B) if they are all they're cracked up to be, has anyone used a cordless verison? like the dewalt or preferably the milwaukee? do they hold up to the use or do they just eat batteries? is corded the way to go?
                I have a corded milwaukee that I run off my pipeline 200d (dc machine ) I've cut 2" plate with it and you save an enormous amount of time in cleanup using these saws. The blades last as long as you don't bind them or slam them into the material being cut. I've cut 2'pipe as well. All in all I would definitely recommend the milwaukee 8" one. Jef

Comment

im getting the picture here. I think Im sold on the Milly version. corded. basically the whole question came up when my buddy wanted to trade an old car and some other stuff for my 30 gal compressor, air tools and plasma. I figured I need to reduce my equipment alittle. At work we live out of a few gang boxes and I havent seen a plasma on the job site yet. fab shops probably get the serious use out of plasmas but Im thinking id rather condense my operation into a gang box of a few grinders, an impact, dry chop and dry circular saw and call it a day. bottom line is, milwaukee and dewalt and the others probably arent in the buisness of producing tools with no realistic professional application. They leave that to black and decker with their lazer guided espresso machine/cordless drill kits. . so there must be some valid qualities about these saws. truthfully, i am only cutting mild steel plate. no delicate curves or anything like that.

Comment

WOW, what just happened?

Anyway is this type of saw noisy?

Comment

Yup, they are definitely the silent type. I wear ear plugs when using any of my dry saws.
                      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

I don't find my 8" to be all that bad; the 14 is another story. It also depends on what your cutting too. Thinner stuff tends to resonate more than thicker stock. I also think the pitch is a little different than the higher speed abrasives.
                        Syncrowave 250DX
                        Invison 354MP
                        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                        Smith O/A rig
                        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Time to get my post count up, Hey MIKE LEARN TO USE THE EVERY WORD CAPT+ITALI less...

Comment

Working...
                          X