fluxcore vs spray mig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fluxcore vs spray mig

if cost wasn't an issue(gas, wire, ect) which process would you rather use? We've been throwing around the idea of using spray solid wire instead of fluxcore for our big steel projects and I am just trying to see what other people think. We mostly use 3/8 x 3 angle and 1/4+ square tubing of various sizes. Here's a pic of a drive frame that I make every three weeks or so.
    Attached Files
    Welders do it hotter!!
    www.Munsonworks.com

The deposition rate with spray wleding is twice that of flux-core. Penetration is excellent, there is absolutely no spatter, and no clean-up is needed.

I think you'll decrease your production time significantly with spray.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Originally posted by hankj View Post
      The deposition rate with spray wleding is twice that of flux-core. Penetration is excellent, there is absolutely no spatter, and no clean-up is needed.

Hank
      That being said anything out of position will require pulse as the puddle is so fluid it will fall right out of the weld joint like melted butter.

Comment

If that piece isn't being made to a code, such as AWS D1.1, and you can position it, I would go for it.
        "smokin' joints for 19 yrs."

A.A.S. Weld Tech.

AWS CWI 08011711

Comment

What about a duel shield?

Comment

Originally posted by hankj View Post

Hank

That's not true.
            The large flux core wires will way out deposit solid wire on flat work and the large increase in penetration allows for smaller fillets as the effective throat is so much larger. Look at the specs on .120 NS3M wire at 600 amps.

Out of position it's not even a contest, flux core deposits way more and the dual shield wires are the absolute king of out of position deposition rates.

That's why Caterpillar and similar companies burn so much flux core in spite of the smoke and flux.

JTMcC.
            Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Working...
            X