lower back disc removal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower back disc removal??

Anyone ever have a disc removed from their lower back?How long can i expect to be out of commission for?I mobile weld for a living.I talked to a great older welder that has been welding longer than ive been alive and he closed his shop down a few years back but he agreed to take care of my customers for a few weeks,but i was just curious about if anyone here had this done and what their experience was?Thanks
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitcase 12vs
    spoolmatic 3
    victor journeymanx2
    esab multimaster260
    esab handy plasma 550
    Makita grinders
    Lathe
    21cfm honda compressor
    f350 superduty 4x4
    Lots of bills lol

Disc removal

Over twently five years ago, I had two disc removed and was off work for six months but when all said and done and after losing thirty pounds and taking some exercise classes, I was in better shape until I lifted something too heavy five years later and was off another nine weeks. Last time was just one bad disc and it wasn't removed so after all that, I finally decided to be smart when lifting and keeping the extra weight off. While I was in the hospital the first time, remember twenty five years ago, there was an article on the news about how simple one disc removal was at that time so if your problem is just one disc, I'm sure you should be okay. Main thing I recommend is keep in shape as far as keeping the weight off, do something to keep you flexible, and by all means if you feel the back pain coming back, slow down. It's your pain and no one will really care about your health as much as you so you only have one body. Better take care of it. My sister has had five back surgerys. One lower and four upper and just retired ten years after the last one but worked at Krogers during the entire time. If your back hurts bad enough, you'll be glad to get the surgery. Good luck.

Comment

back pain/ been there

I just had a decompression disectomy done on L4/L5 disc last Oct. was back to work middle of Dec.
      BB402D
      TB300D
      DIMENSION652
      MM250X
      MAXSTAR140
      S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
      HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Doobie,
        will keep you in prayer
        Let us know what happens...
        I'm not late...
        I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Thanks guys,i was just curious about the recovery time untill i can move and until i can actaully work.I think its the L5 S1 disc.
          Trailblazer 302
          Suitcase 12vs
          spoolmatic 3
          victor journeymanx2
          esab multimaster260
          esab handy plasma 550
          Makita grinders
          Lathe
          21cfm honda compressor
          f350 superduty 4x4
          Lots of bills lol

Comment

Lower Back

Been there done that want do that again. 29 years ago young kid out of high school thought I could lift anything. I worked the warehouse of a construction equipment rental company. Had to move around 6 and 8 inch water pumps with 3 or 4 cylinder Detroit diesels. Did it one to many times. Crushed a disc (L4-L5) I was twenty. I was off work for three months. I friend of mine had the same operation in Oct 2008. was off work for three weeks, was not permited to drive for another two weeks. Today he is fine. Good luck to you. I know the pain that your going through.

Comment

i did the L5/S1 myself. best advice i can give is don't rush it on the recovery, but get it fixed fast. i waited and kept working. ended up permanently damaging the nerves in my spine. i'll never have a real job again and take enough pain pills to kill an elephant. take the time needed to heal properly and get in for the repair as soon as you can before the damage moves from disk to nerve. proper back exercises will help with the recovery. then remember you will never be 100% again so work smarter. get help with lifting, i know its not the macho thing to do but its a must from now on.
              best of luck on a good surgery and fast heal.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

Heed the advice given here!!! We all think we are indestructable when we are young, and lift things we know we shouldn't, but it doesn't hurt. Now I'm 46, was a nurse's aid for 8 years back in the day, backs not the same. Lower back pains reminds me when I need to lift metal now....
                I'm not late...

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.When it happened it was sept05,i was lifting a generator out of the back of my truck.Stupid me-i worked 5 days/week through the pain until i wentto the doctors in dec.he put me through all kinds of tests(xray,mri ect)until he found out excactly what was wrong in june 06(herniated disc pinching sciatic nerve).That is when i went off work and wasput on a 6mth waiting list for surgery and it has taken 1 1/2 yrs to finally get a surgery date.In canada health care is mostly free but there is soo much need for it that it usually takes a very long time.In life threatning cases,the patients are sent to the us for treatment.Im just glad its finally getting taken care of.Now i work smarter and not harder,i put a hoist on my truck and in my shop.
                  Trailblazer 302
                  Suitcase 12vs
                  spoolmatic 3
                  victor journeymanx2
                  esab multimaster260
                  esab handy plasma 550
                  Makita grinders
                  Lathe
                  21cfm honda compressor
                  f350 superduty 4x4
                  Lots of bills lol

Comment

you did exactly what i di. except i kept working with the pain till i could barley stand just riding in the truck to get to work, much less doing anything at work. as i was running the crew all i had to do was stand around and give directions, solve problems and see to it every one showed up and was working. when i could no longer do that i went to a Dr.
                    the old saying " a day late and a dollar short" fits here. my sciatic nerve was so badly damaged by then the best they could do was fix the disk and then the scar tissue on the nerve kept the pain in place. after 2 times under the knife all they are doing now is waiting till i cant walk before trying to go in again with the hopes of getting me back to where i am no. clearing the scar tissue could cause more to form making it worse not better. lucky for my i have the V.A. hospital system to cover my med. needs.
                    glad to hear you got yours sooner then i did. take your time with the recovery and you should be in fairly good shape after. i hope all goes well for ya.keep us posted
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                    JAMES

Comment

Back problems

I recommend surgery as a last resort, and it sounds as though you're at your last resort. My advice would be to get to surgery as quickly as possible. The back is a very delicate thing. MOST IMPORTANT!!! Make sure you have a good physician. Ask him who he would go to for the surgery, and then ask a few nurses who is good. They're all opinions, but everyone helps and nurses are one of your best resources. Do you want the Dr. in charge or the nurse that knows what's happening?

Proper body mechanics is key to keeping your back in shape and from being injured. Back injuries for the most part are usually not a one time thing, but a repetitive overloading. Exercise is one of the big keys to maintaining you back. Standing on hard ground without good shoes adds to the insult. Poor posture is another key. There are resources to learn proper body mechanics out there, use them. Spinal fusion is the last resort to fix your back.

I was a mechanic for a few years and started having back problems due to the fact I was bent over a car for 6-8 hours a day reaching out and putting a lot of strain to break things loose. All part of the recipe for back injury.

Comment

Originally posted by DKSTA46 View Post
                        Been there done that want do that again. 29 years ago young kid out of high school thought I could lift anything. I worked the warehouse of a construction equipment rental company. Had to move around 6 and 8 inch water pumps with 3 or 4 cylinder Detroit diesels. Did it one to many times. Crushed a disc (L4-L5) I was twenty. I was off work for three months. I friend of mine had the same operation in Oct 2008. was off work for three weeks, was not permited to drive for another two weeks. Today he is fine. Good luck to you. I know the pain that your going through.
                        im 23 years old and my L4/5 are out of place from overlifting i need to have something done about it. about three months ago i spent two days laying on a coffee table
                        my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
                        feel free to P/M me

Comment

get off the coffee table and onto a Dr's table. some times steroids, exersize, a few other things can fix the problem without needing to go under the knife if you get it in time. trust me when i say you do not want to wait.
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          JAMES

Comment

You need to go to the docs welderman,my business might be in jeapordy because i thought i would"walk it off" and now i ned surgery.Heed the advice man.Im surprised there is so much activity on this thread.
                            Trailblazer 302
                            Suitcase 12vs
                            spoolmatic 3
                            victor journeymanx2
                            esab multimaster260
                            esab handy plasma 550
                            Makita grinders
                            Lathe
                            21cfm honda compressor
                            f350 superduty 4x4
                            Lots of bills lol

Comment

Doobie,
                              so much activity on this thread, 'cause "We are family..." (nope, I won't sing it...). Somthing as important as our backs, us old guys have to watch out for the young guys and give them our experience of "screwing up our backs". Just kinda watching out for each other. We were like you, all macho, ignored our fathers and said "don't worry, I can handle"........crack! Oops!!
                              Welderman23...SEE A DOCTOR!!! (or a good chiropractor)!!
                              I'm not late...

Comment

Working...
                              X