I bought my 1st welder today!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought my 1st welder today!!!!

I finally bought a welder for my garage. I got the 180, a spool gun, cart, helmet, cover, roll of .024 wire, and I bought a tank. Got it all at lws. I think I got a good deal. The 2 guys helping me kept on joking around and saying that they were not making any money off me. When I was leaving one of them said tell everyone you got a good deal just don’t tell anyone what you paid. They seemed like really good guys. I'm sure they made money. My 1st project will be to build a table. I don’t want to build anything to big yet.
    I have a question for you guys. I have access to a big chunk of aluminum. Its 1x24x24. Its ground flat and I can get it cheap! FREE! I was wondering would this make a good top of a welding table? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Congrats....and as for the al I'd take it to the scrap yard and get a chunk of steel for a top......it probably looks good now but after welding on it for a bit it will be covered with pits for spatter etc......
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Comment

welding tables take a pounding get the plate save it for a deserving project.

Comment

Ok thanks. Thats kind of what I thought but I figured it didnt hurt to ask.

Comment

I'd still get the Al - it's worth $$$ even as scrap!

Comment

Slidewayzs: I don’t want to build anything to big yet.
            Iron Head: a 4’ x 8’ or 4’ x 10’, 3/4” or 1” thick work well!
            Yeah...funny Slidewayzs, a 2'x2' table might be large enough for you now, most people use 3/8 - 1/2" thick (thicker the better, but have fun moving around that weight!). Happy for you with that new toy Hope to see pics of your new projects!!!
            I'm not late...
            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Hey Slide...

Congrats on the welder! Good deal or not you will love your blue toy

You didn't mention if you have any experience welding?

You may need a roll of some heavier wire to make that table...

Good Luck!
              John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
              MM 175
              Maxstar 150 STL
              Blue Star 185 DX
              Spectrum 375

Comment

Yes I do have some experience welding. The reason I got a roll of .024 was because the welder came with a small roll .030. So now I have some of both. I plan on doing some autobody work someday and I have never welded with anything other than .030. I plan on getting lots of practice with .024 on thin matl. before I start welding on my truck body.

Comment

An aluminum table is very good for welding on aluminum. Less scratching and much better arc starting when you have the ground hooked to the table.
                  At the moment I'm using just a 40"x11'x 5/16ths sheet on sawhorses untill I decide what I want my new table to be. I wish it was 1" thick
                  Get that big piece of aluminum and hang on to it ...you'll use it someday for sure...or send it to me for a good cause

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Congrats on the welder, so what is gonna be your real first project?. I know your making a table, but what kind of project are you gonna do after your done with that table, like a welding cart, sculpture, race car .
                    If you want peace, be prepared for war!

Comment

Well...

Stop typing and go burn some wire! Send lots of pictures!
                      John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
                      MM 175
                      Maxstar 150 STL
                      Blue Star 185 DX
                      Spectrum 375

Comment

congrats on the new welder. sounds like your set up nice. enjoy.
                        as for the price being good or not. i wouldn't worry about it now, you have the welder and a good relationship started with your local dealer. enjoy it.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

first times

yes, nice feeling to bring home the first owned welder, after using opw for so long, great to have the welding tables turned...to have a welder of one's own.
                          the joy of freedom to bring the 3rd dimension to your drawings!

is there a picture gallery, or do pictures only go with posts?
                          syncrowave 180 sd
                          olskool craftsman (harris) o/a torch,
                          2 stage regulators
                          mini o/a torch

Comment

post pic's with the post you want to dress up or share them in. there is a projects gallery but you have to go threw admin to get it in there. for the most part we just add them to the post as we see fit.
                            the manage attachments button below as you post will attach pic's or you can post them how you want. using the attachment button under 100KBS is best.
                            every one loves pic's
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                            JAMES

Comment

Yes, for the most part I like 030 in that class of machine. I did a patch panel the other day that a smaller wire would have been easier but usually its the bigger wire, lets the machine do the work.

Comment

Working...
                              X