Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH 120 won't arc

Hello everyone,

I've posted this on the Hobart board as well, but I generally frequent this forum more often.

I have a Handler 120 circa 1993 that won't strike an arc. The drive roll motor pulls the wire through, and it seems that all of the connections are now good. However, when we first pulled the trigger, the fan slowed and a couple of the internal wires got hot and we smelled a little burning. We quickly shut it off and opened it up to find that the POS and NEG leads were not secure at the terminals. After tightening these up and checking everything over, there appears to be nothing visibly loose, burnt, or tripped. When powered up, the fan runs and the motor pulls the wire when the trigger is activated. It won't strike an arc.

Main tapped switch?
    5A fuse on inside panel?

I'd like to try to replace a part myself before taking it in for service. I hope it's something simple; this has been a good little machine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Do you have any type of volt meter??

It kind of sounds like a bad gun. I "think" the drive motor off that unit works off the output from the main weld rectifier. If it does, the unit is putting out power, just not getting it to the gun.
    Take a voltmeter on DC and measure from the gun housing to where the gnd cable connects to the machine and pull the trigger. You should get between 14-25 volts depending on what tap you are on. If you do, start moving the voltmeter sown stream to the ground clamp and then to the contact tip of the gun and check for voltage.

Good luck
    Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy.

I'll check it out tomorrow.
      Maxstar 200DX
      Maxstar 300DX
      Dynasty 200DX
      Passport
      Spectrum 701
      LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

terminals?

I wonder if the terminals got smoked enough that you don't have good connections. Did you clean the terminals before tightening them down? If they have been arcing for a while they may be pretty bad.

Just a thought. Cheap fix if it is; hope nothing major.

Take care working inside those things... I do not know how they work exactly, but they may have some capacitor that holds a charge

Good luck!
        John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
        MM 175
        Maxstar 150 STL
        Blue Star 185 DX
        Spectrum 375

Comment

Working...
        X