Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time TIG...Blew out garage door openers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bert
    replied
    Cuizer!!! Good tip and I'll do it! Nice to have you "back"
    It's been what...8 whole days??? Kinda infectious hey?
    love you man (tear....)

Leave a comment:

• Vicegrip
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Whoops wasn't going to post here anymore....
    Just when you thought you was out, we draws you back in!

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Simple fix, tywrap your ground to your torch lead just after leaving your machine for 1 foot or so. HF is hunting for the other lead and going through everything to find it.. this is a simple solution that works surprisingly well on all machines. Also makes your arc exceedingly stable.

Whoops wasn't going to post here anymore....

Leave a comment:

• Rovertech
    replied
    I'll second that car remotes and garage door openers operate on HF radio
    signal. But any electronic device can be affected by HF radiation (essentially an EMP). Did you have HF start enabled? If your machine has Lift-Arc that
    will help instead of HF start, and keeping the ground clamp as close as possible to work piece. Somewhere in Miller's TIG product section they mention a customer whose computer invoices were changing because of TIG
    HF radiation, and it was 100' away!
    Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Goodhand
    replied
    Originally posted by welderman23 View Post
    i thought most car unlock/remote starts were infrared,not hi freq .....
    Nope... IR is what operates TV remotes (line-of-sight), car remotes are RF (radio frequency). If the remote works while still in your pocket, it's RF not IR.

I've had my garage auto-opener activate while using a wired drill. I'd sure like to test the opener with a tig outfit, but that day may never come.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    just use two Rebar rods stuck into the ground when they pour the foundation
    WOW! Can we say " Ghetto job?"

Leave a comment:

• FM117
    replied
    My old Lincoln tig will always set of my shop alarm system
    if it's armed. Tried lots of different stuff, just gave up and
    make sure it's not armed if I'm in the shop. The box is
    a good 100 feet from the welder.
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• Hankl
    replied
    Originally posted by Vicegrip View Post
    My Syncro 250 will mess with the TVs in my house and I just found out likely in the house next to me too. The woman next door was comenting on some TV issues she was having that sounded familiar.
    I forgot to tell her that I happened to be welding that night. Time to look at some way to contain the HF.
    Had the same problem with the TVs, found out that it was the ground in the Service Panel, a lot of the homes being built these days, just use two Rebar rods stuck into the ground when they pour the foundation. When I sunk a copper ground in the dirt, all the problems disappeared.

Hank

Leave a comment:

• pro70z28
    replied
    I've been welding under the garage door opener for years with no issues. But, for one time a few months ago. There must have to be a perfect storm situation for it to happen.

On the other hand. I can not run my CNC in the next room and weld at the same time. First pull of the trigger and the CNC stops. I have to shut it down & restart it and it's fine. These days the CNC is unplugged from the wall before I turn the TIG on & vs.

Leave a comment:

• Vicegrip
    replied
    My Syncro 250 will mess with the TVs in my house and I just found out likely in the house next to me too. The woman next door was comenting on some TV issues she was having that sounded familiar.
    I forgot to tell her that I happened to be welding that night. Time to look at some way to contain the HF.

Leave a comment:

• rawblacksmith
    replied
    ok! i'll ground everything!

i just brought my my new-to-me syncrowave 180sd home, my first tig...hadn't even used one til i shopped for it, i'll make sure to have everything by the book before i flip the switch!
    just joined up here at the discussion site too....looking forward to learning all about what's not in the book here!

Leave a comment:

• burninbriar
    replied
    Could be, like I said, that was a tale I heard, I can't verify the truth to the car door one. The garage door was mine though, it opened from the high freq. with out a question.

Leave a comment:

• welderman23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• burninbriar
    replied
    OOOOOOOOHH. i told ja i told ja told ja dem aLiENz iz a cummin
    Ha!!!
    It really did freak me out when it happened, I had no idea that the high frequency stuff was quite that potent.
    Since my experience, I've heard a lot of tales, one in particular, a fellow said his car doors locked from the tig.
    Last edited by burninbriar; 03-16-2008, 10:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• welderman23
    replied
    Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
    I was tig welding under my garage door opener and it caused the door to open on its own.
    OOOOOOOOHH. i told ja i told ja told ja dem aLiENz iz a cummin

Leave a comment:

Working...
X