Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time TIG...Blew out garage door openers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time TIG...Blew out garage door openers!

Well, I've been MIG and OA welding for years. Finally got my Syncrowave 180SD hooked up and started to play around with it...........On mild steel I'm running welds like a pro! Thanks to a bunch of folks on this board. Not too dissimilar to OA welding.

So I weld for a few hours. Having a ball. Go to open the garage door by pressing the door opener button, an nothing! Oh-Oh!

Seems both garage door remotes went into some type of protection. I unplugged them and reconnected and all is well.............

The alarm on my motorcycle also kept going off. And this isn't in any way hooked up to the shop wiring...........Strange?

I sure hope the computer in my wifes brand new car parked a few feet away is OK...............

Anyone else have issues like this?
    RoyB
    Dartmouth, MA

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Millermatic 185 MIG
    Miller Diversion 165
    Purox W200 O/A
    Grizzly 9957 Mill
    Grizzly 4030 Metal Band Saw
    Grizzly 1050 Knife Belt Sander
    Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
    TP Blast Cabinet

So what did you do to fix it????
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

I just unplugged them and waited a couple seconds and plugged them back in. They worked fine.

I continued welding for the rest of the afternoon and they seem to be working fine. I'm not sure what happened. They are not on the same sub panel as my shop is so i don't think it was a surge over the electric lines.
      RoyB
      Dartmouth, MA

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Millermatic 185 MIG
      Miller Diversion 165
      Purox W200 O/A
      Grizzly 9957 Mill
      Grizzly 4030 Metal Band Saw
      Grizzly 1050 Knife Belt Sander
      Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
      TP Blast Cabinet

Comment

Weird...I thought you were working on aluminum with the continuos high freq and screwed something up, even though I'd be surprised it would affect it!
        ever watch: twighlight zone?
        I'm not late...

Comment

I was tig welding under my garage door opener and it caused the door to open on its own. Now I have things grounded as close as possible to how the manual shows. Also I have heard from people on this forum that if you run your ground line and torch line together for a few feet, that will help minimize the problem.
          To all who contribute to this board.
          My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
          Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
          Miller Syncrowave 250
          Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
            I was tig welding under my garage door opener and it caused the door to open on its own.
            OOOOOOOOHH. i told ja i told ja told ja dem aLiENz iz a cummin
            my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
            feel free to P/M me

Comment

Originally posted by welderman23 View Post
              OOOOOOOOHH. i told ja i told ja told ja dem aLiENz iz a cummin
              Ha!!!
              It really did freak me out when it happened, I had no idea that the high frequency stuff was quite that potent.
              Since my experience, I've heard a lot of tales, one in particular, a fellow said his car doors locked from the tig.
              Last edited by burninbriar; 03-16-2008, 10:35 AM.

Pureox OA
              Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

i thought most car unlock/remote starts were infrared,not hi freq .....
                my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
                feel free to P/M me

Comment

Originally posted by welderman23 View Post
                  i thought most car unlock/remote starts were infrared,not hi freq .....
                  Could be, like I said, that was a tale I heard, I can't verify the truth to the car door one. The garage door was mine though, it opened from the high freq. with out a question.

Pureox OA
                  Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

ok! i'll ground everything!

i just brought my my new-to-me syncrowave 180sd home, my first tig...hadn't even used one til i shopped for it, i'll make sure to have everything by the book before i flip the switch!
                    just joined up here at the discussion site too....looking forward to learning all about what's not in the book here!
                    syncrowave 180 sd
                    olskool craftsman (harris) o/a torch,
                    2 stage regulators
                    mini o/a torch

Comment

My Syncro 250 will mess with the TVs in my house and I just found out likely in the house next to me too. The woman next door was comenting on some TV issues she was having that sounded familiar.
                      I forgot to tell her that I happened to be welding that night. Time to look at some way to contain the HF.
                      Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

I've been welding under the garage door opener for years with no issues. But, for one time a few months ago. There must have to be a perfect storm situation for it to happen.

On the other hand. I can not run my CNC in the next room and weld at the same time. First pull of the trigger and the CNC stops. I have to shut it down & restart it and it's fine. These days the CNC is unplugged from the wall before I turn the TIG on & vs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicegrip View Post
                          My Syncro 250 will mess with the TVs in my house and I just found out likely in the house next to me too. The woman next door was comenting on some TV issues she was having that sounded familiar.
                          I forgot to tell her that I happened to be welding that night. Time to look at some way to contain the HF.
                          Had the same problem with the TVs, found out that it was the ground in the Service Panel, a lot of the homes being built these days, just use two Rebar rods stuck into the ground when they pour the foundation. When I sunk a copper ground in the dirt, all the problems disappeared.

Hank
                          Miller Dynasty 200DX
                          Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                          Miller Millermatic Passport
                          Meco, Victor, O/A

Comment

My old Lincoln tig will always set of my shop alarm system
                            if it's armed. Tried lots of different stuff, just gave up and
                            make sure it's not armed if I'm in the shop. The box is
                            a good 100 feet from the welder.
                            Dave

Comment

just use two Rebar rods stuck into the ground when they pour the foundation
                              WOW! Can we say " Ghetto job?"
                              I'm not late...

Comment

Working...
                              X