Preventing Tungsten Balling on Dynasty 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing Tungsten Balling on Dynasty 700

I can get our Dynasty 700 to weld aluminum a little while before it rounds the tungsten. I know it can be done. I'm just not sure of the right parameters for it. Could someone help

Originally posted by millerwelder View Post
    I can get our Dynasty 700 to weld aluminum a little while before it rounds the tungsten. I know it can be done. I'm just not sure of the right parameters for it. Could someone help
    In order to heep the tungsten "relatively" pointed, you need to be running your balance in the 75+ range. This means that your material will have to be clean, clean, clean. Next, set your machine to independent amplitude. By pressing the amperage and gas/dig buttons simultaneously, you will be able to access this in a hidden menu.

Now you will need to independently set your amperage for each half cycle. On the far right of the machine, set your EN amperage to 100, your EP amperage to 67, balance to 75, and frequency to 120. Now go back to the the amperage dial and set it for whatever total amperage you want and the machine will keep the EN/EP ratio you set it for. Start welding with those settings and see if that is any better. You should see a significant difference in your ability to keep a point.

You didn't say what size material you were welding or what size tungsten you were using. That info would be helpful as well as the current machine settings that you are using.
    Last edited by KB Fabrications; 03-09-2008, 02:05 PM.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Try increasing hz, this will help with maintaining sharper tungsten. The lower your hertz the more your tungsten will ball. Hope this helps!

Comment

weldr123,

Think you're confusing HZ with balance.

To be honest, I suspect you're in a little over your head. The guy owns a Dynasty 700 so I don't think he's a rookie to tig.

He's already gotten suggestions from the guy (KB) who knows what he's talking about and probably can help if anyone can.

Now if you've got "extensive background" with the larger Dynasty units, by all means "jump right in". If not, sit back on the sidelines and learn from those who know what they're talking about.
        Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
        Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
        Hobart HH187
        Dialarc 250 AC/DC
        Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
        Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
        PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
        Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
        Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
        More grinders than hands

Comment

That will teach you to try and help
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Millermatic 175
          Spectrum 375
          All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
            In order to heep the tungsten "relatively" pointed, you need to be running your balance in the 75+ range. This means that your material will have to be clean, clean, clean. Next, set your machine to independent amplitude. By pressing the amperage and gas/dig buttons simultaneously, you will be able to access this in a hidden menu.

Now you will need to independently set your amperage for each half cycle. On the far right of the machine, set your EN amperage to 100, your EP amperage to 67, balance to 75, and frequency to 120. Now go back to the the amperage dial and set it for whatever total amperage you want and the machine will keep the EN/EP ratio you set it for. Start welding with those settings and see if that is any better. You should see a significant difference in your ability to keep a point.

You didn't say what size material you were welding or what size tungsten you were using. That info would be helpful as well as the current machine
            settings that you are using.

I am primarily welding 6063 AL from 1/8"-3/8" ,using a 3/32 pure tungsten electrode. At about 180-303 Amps at times with EN to the max and EP around 70-75 for better cleaning action. The EN/EP ratio is around 40 maybe.
            Thanks for the help. -DAN

Comment

I am primarily welding 6063 AL from 1/8"-3/8" ,using a 3/32 pure tungsten electrode. At about 180-303 Amps at times with EN to the max and EP around 70-75 for better cleaning action. The EN/EP ratio is around 40 maybe.
              Replace pure with 2% lanthanated and wave bye-bye to your problem.

Comment

millerwelder,

I agree with DSEMAN. Replace that pure tungsten and things will get a lot easier.

I would not recommend pure tungsten in an inverter machine for ANY reason.
                Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                Hobart HH187
                Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                More grinders than hands

Comment

Yep, the pure tungsten is your problem in a nutshell. Get rid of that crap and get some 2% lanthanated for the work you are doing. Mucho bettero.
                  Dynasty 350DX
                  Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                  MM 350P
                  MM Passport Plus
                  Spectrum 375 Extreme
                  08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Can he use ceriated instead of lanthanated with the same results? Reason: I just bought 2 packs of Ceriated, 1/16 and 3/32 to do aluminum with.
                    thanks
                    I'm not late...
                    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

I have had good results with both 2% Ceriated and 2% lanthanated, so I guess pick your posion.

Comment

Working...
                      X