<--- Tig ****** - needs a little guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <--- Tig ****** - needs a little guidance

OK, so I admit it. Never held a tig torch in my hand, but I decided I will tomorrow. I know I will get grief about how I should take classes and wait for the moon to be in the right position and all that but...

I never really listen or read the instructions till after I mess it up so why change now? I did teach myself stick & mig and I hold my own. Of course, I am no expert and still learning every day.

But, help me out.

I have a maxstar 150 stl. I bought it about 6 months ago because it was so portable and I needed it for some small stick repairs on a few jobs (houses I was building). When I bought it, used but basically new, the guy sent me a regulator, tig torch, foot pedal and some misc cups and tungsten...

Hmmm... I tried to rig the foot pedal to my pickup truck but it still wouldn't go any faster, so it must have something to do with tigging!

What would be the best set up for running a few cherry busting beads. I have plenty of 1/8 to 3/16 mild scrap. I have a straight Ar, but I can use the 75/25 from my mig for steel right? He sent some filler rods too, but not sure what they are, kinda copper coated, not ss.

Just thought someone who uses this little welder could give me some practical how to... I have read a bit so I do have some idea.

Don't worry, when I get hooked on yet another thing and need to spend tall coin for yet another welder, I will not blame you!

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by Handy560; 03-08-2008, 12:15 AM. Reason: because I can't type...
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

tig welding isnt hard to do if its just welding some basic house projects.its welding critical applications that take years of practice.
    you need pure argon and the wire would need to be 70S-2 or 70S-6 and will be flagged or stamped on the end which should be one of those that you have.they are basic mild steel tig wire.the color of them is from a very light coating of copper to help keep them from rusting.(but for only so long if they are not in a dry place)
    2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1- Blue star 185
    1- BOBCAT 250
    1- TRAILBLAZER 302
    1- MILLER DVI
    2- PASSPORT PLUS
    1- DYNASTY 200 DX
    1- DYNASTY 280 DX
    1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1- HF-251 BOX
    1- S-74D
    1- S-75DXA
    2- 12-RC SUITCASES
    1- 8-VS SUITCASE
    2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Good for you. I wish I'd had a tig machine that I could have played with before I took the class. You use straight argon for tig and remember that it won't burn off rust like stick or even mig so clean your scraps well. I'd suggest just starting with only the torch no filler. Set the machine near max and play with the petal to see what it does to the puddle. Make a bunch of passes till you can hold it steady. Then lay a rod down almost flat to the plate say at a 30 deg angle. Start a pudle away from the filler and move the puddle to the filler. The filler will melt in as the puddle nears. You are not melting the filler with the torch, the puddle will melt the filler. Just keep moving the puddle forward as the rod melts. One you get this down you can learn to dip.

I know I'll take a alot of cr*p from you guys that say dip the rod. But I found that this suggestion from my tig inst. worked a lot better for starting out than the twirl and dip that I learned 20 years ago when I learned Oxy/ fuel welding in shop. It simplified the hand motions to learning one at a time instead of both at once.

Comment

excited...

Well, I'm like a kid on Christmas day. Can't wait to go out and play with my toys. Why is it so fun to burn things with electricity? Reminds me of being a kid and burning my initials on my baseball glove with a magnifying glass!

I had picked up a small bottle of straight Ar. The guys at the lws said I could use the 75/25 for mild steel; not sure the particular guy I was talking to had a clue...

It's probably easier at this point for me to hook up the new small straight Ar bottle to the 150 rather than switching them back and forth... I assume the straight is better anyway.

I really appreciate the directions, it gives me a logical place to start.

Can someone just give me an idea of the sequence of the pedal, like when I press it it archs or starts the gas or both, more pedal, more current or what.

Also should i do anything to prep the tungsten and what distance and angle from the work piece.

Thanks again,

V*rgin to tig
        John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
        MM 175
        Maxstar 150 STL
        Blue Star 185 DX
        Spectrum 375

Comment

You are right! The guy at the LWS did not have clue.. Use straight argon with the GTAW process for mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum.

Griff

Comment

Handy,

Not trying to be a smart azz, but, to be honest, you're not ready to start tig welding. There's just too much to cover (basics) to do it on a board. You've got to make a little effort to read about the process. One of the problems with the board is you'll get as much "bad" guidance as you get "good" guidance. It's, I'm sure, all well intended, but many posters do not have the background to be giving instruction. As a newbe, you don't know the difference.

I would suggest ordering or downloading a copy of Miller's Handbook for GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding). It will give you everything you need to know about getting started with tig welding.

Tig is not that difficult to learn, but I'm afraid you're going at it in the wrong way.
            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
            Hobart HH187
            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
            More grinders than hands

Comment

If you go to the top of this page and go to the resources button, click on "improving your skills" and keep following the tig related stuff you will get to the tig handbook. Its a free download and will answer about any question a newbe would have.
              To all who contribute to this board.
              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

homework?!

Thanks guys,

I actually have read all of the material noted. Everything I have ever learned was from books, manuals and magazines. Of course, I tend to read the instructions for some things after I am just stuck.

I was more interested in specifics with the Maxstar 150 from guys who actually tig with one. I will go back and look for some instructions which may be more specific to the tig accessories for the 150... maybe that is something I am missing.

OK going to burn some holes n something now...
                John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
                MM 175
                Maxstar 150 STL
                Blue Star 185 DX
                Spectrum 375

Comment

Read, ask, practice...

The more you know BEFORE you start TIG welding, the less money and time you will waste on frustrating mistakes. For example, if you can even get an arc going with 75/25 MIG mix, it will eat up your tungstens. And certain things like how you grind your tungstens make a world of difference when it comes to easy arc starting. Also, be sure the rods you have are ER rods and not oxy-fuel welding rods (they look very similar). If you are going to do much TIG welding, get a LARGE bottle of argon. You will need a lot of practice, and therefore, you'll need a lot of gas. Remember that the process goes much slower than MIG welding, so you will use many more cubic feet for the same length of weld as compared to MIG. And remember that a very small leak in your gas solenoid or hoses can empty this expensive bottle overnight if you don't shut it off after use. I've had a few of those Homer Simpson "Doh!" moments.

Read that eBook "Miller TIG welding handbook" and it will answer all your technical questions about what gas, what angle, what rod, what tungsten, how to prep the tungsten, etc. Also, look at the TIG weld calculator for amp settings, gas flow rates, etc.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                  Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                  "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                  "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                  "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Since I've seen you've done yer readin'. And electricity is no stranger to you (other posts); I offer this:

What no one says is: you can't weld thru mill scale with TIG. Those innocent sparks will contaminate your tungsten and weld and fill it full of holes. I think this is the best kept secret in TIG welding. Just shine-ing it up with a wire brush (even powered), doesn't work. Bare, raw steel, a flap disk works well. Don't ask me how long it took me to learn this in my home garage. It's a VERY sore bruise in my past.
                    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 03-08-2008, 08:19 PM.
                    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                      It's a VERY sore bruise in my past.
                      is it as sore as your mouth from all that jaw flappin ????
                      my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
                      feel free to P/M me

Comment

Originally posted by welderman23 View Post
                        is it as sore as your mouth from all that jaw flappin ????
                        My jaw is fine. It's the most toned muscle in my body.
                        RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                        sigpic

Comment

Craig....you tig on pipe right
                          if you water your tig roots,what do they turn in to ???
                          my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
                          feel free to P/M me

Comment

&lt;-- expert tig welder now...

OK, maybe not exactly expert.

I do have a few questions though, maybe I should start a new thread so everyone can see...
                            John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
                            MM 175
                            Maxstar 150 STL
                            Blue Star 185 DX
                            Spectrum 375

Comment

Working...
                            X