• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, this was a link from Iron Head. Page 2 of this thread:
    http://files.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-25.PDF
    And to what KBFab tried to say:
    WHERE'S THE LOVE!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Bert; 03-11-2008, 08:05 PM. Reason: adding instead of a new post
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

I did read that on TT, I think it was an older gentleman that forged alot, got sick, pneumonia, then passed way, sad.

Thats why I was wondering if there are symptoms to be awre of while burning galvanizing.

Thank you for your response, this is a great resouce for info.

Comment

So,,,, Welding galvanized is just like smoking with Bill Clinton, don't inhale...

For what it is worth, it is easier to shut up and listen to the experienced when the answers are complete like DDA52 (Don) posts.

Toxic fumes can come from washing the floor with an strong bleach content, especially if you are one of those folks who are sensitive to bleach. Have a relative sensitive to latex, he works new construction, that makes for an interesting mix...

There are a few hard and fast safety rules that apply to everyone. But for the most part we are all going to die from something, In my case hopefully not stupidity.
        Last edited by trstek; 03-11-2008, 08:16 PM.

Comment

It can vary from person to person because it is basically an allergic reaction. Some may have no symptoms at all.

I will get a slight metallic taste in my mouth along with a stomachache and headache. I never got fever or anything else. After three to four hours, it would clear up on its own. I only got sick maybe three or four times during that 10 year stretch. Usually because I did something I knew better than to do. When running only galv, I did drink milk. It did help. This may start some crap, but it is what it is. It did help. Milk is a universal antidote for several types of poisoning and exposures. It will counteract some of the zinc, but should not be used in place of better preventatives. Along with as extra protection...great.

We had a similar situation with another coating we were welding through. The steel supplier's rep would bring us some wine and cheese every day to help counteract the affects of the coating fumes. No idea what the coating was...been way too long ago and I wasn't at that job very well very long. He just gave us about a half dixie cup of wine and a few cubes of some nasty tasting cheese. Did the trick I spose. No one got sick. It counteracted whatever it was very well. Now, if someone would have had something like that when we got ahold of that phosgene that one day...life would have been better that day. I got the tiniest bit of exposure, but it was enough for me to stop breathing. We were welding on a Vietnam era jet fuel research lab...converting it to an ordinance test facility. The Navy said they did a thourough decontamination of that place....HA!!! We ended up on supplied air after that incident.
          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
          '06 12RC feeder
          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
          Esab Multimaster 260
          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Thank you very much, good info.

I have experienced the metallic taste myself. I drink milk anyway (can't hurt).

Thanks again.

Comment

As long as I was welding galv with all those guys, we had never heard of anyone dying ...ever. That is why I have a very hard time believing it was the galv alone that killed them. I'm not saying it didn't help it along, but as a lone causitive factor....I just don't know.

Like the AWS article said, it is basically an allergic reaction. Anaphylactic shock can result from stuff like that and it can definitely be fatal....but for the zinc to cause anaphylaxis...dunno. Everyone will react to stuff differently. Peanuts can be a great snack to most and kill one out of a hundred thousand. Allergic reactions can be strange stuff. As to it being accumulative, there really isn't too much evidence for that either ...that I have seen. My blood tests were clear of it, even when I was welding the stuff daily.

I just don't know about all that stuff. I do have a good enough medical background to be skeptical, but not enough to say "yes" or "no". Best thing to do is take precautions to avoid exposure. Ventilate, don't breath it and when you have to be in an enlosed space, wear a respirator or supplied air. Welding a couple of bolts isn't enough to cause any troubles, though. I definitely wouldn't circle the wagons because of it. Most everything we use is dangerous. Gasoline, acetone and a host of other things that are worse than zinc. We use them and don't freak out. Just keep your wits about you and use common sense. If you don't have any common sense, they sell it on aisle 12 at Home Depot.

FWIW, anyone ever read the MSDS sheet on water?? Scary stuff man.
              Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
              '06 12RC feeder
              Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
              Esab Multimaster 260
              Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

good posts Don! Glad you have the patience to keep us informed!!!
                I'm not late...

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post

FWIW, anyone ever read the MSDS sheet on water?? Scary stuff man.

You think water is bad,........ be very careful welding or working around dihydrogen monoxide. Inhalation or ingestion can lead to light-headedness, nausea, vomiting, headache, hyponatremia, pneumonia, cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
                  Last edited by BBchevy396; 03-12-2008, 12:15 AM.
                  Warning to young ladies:
                  If you wear loose clothes, beware of the machinery. If you wear tight clothes, beware of the machinist.

Comment

Originally posted by BBchevy396 View Post
                    You think water is bad,........ be very careful welding or working around dihydrogen monoxide.
                    Uhmmmmm, is that the same stuff that if you dip your finger in it, you can taste it???
                    Dynasty 350DX
                    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                    MM 350P
                    MM Passport Plus
                    Spectrum 375 Extreme
                    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Uhmmmmm, is that the same stuff that if you dip your finger in it, you can taste it???
                      YEESH!! If THAT'S true, by the time you taste it, you're probably dying!
                      [shudder]
                      I'm not late...

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                        no, that's DMSO. DiMethyl SulfOxide.
                        and that symbol is for biohazards, you know, the band with Evan Sienfeld.

Comment

Working...
                        X